What's behind these "x***x" ids on ebay

HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
I am asking myself, what is behind these x***x ids, which are easily found on bidder's lists on ebay. I have seen them bidding on 007 items, but also on the biddings for the A380 maiden flight tickets for example.

Some lots have solely bidders like r***a and 0***9 and so on, most with a zero or very low feedback.

For an example, watch here:click
President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!

Comments

• NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Isn't that for private bidding? The bidder's names aren't really full of asterisks, they are just being hidden.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    It's explained right at the top of the screen you linked to:

"eBay has changed how bid history information is displayed for higher-priced items. To help keep the eBay community safe, enhance bidder privacy, and protect our members from fraudulent emails, only you and the seller of the item can view your User ID in bid history. Other members will see anonymous names."

I've seen this before--there are some items that are so expensive that you have to register before they will allow you to bid on them (I think you have to prove that you have the kind of money the seller is asking for). The asterisked names are to keep us commoners from trying to scam or crack the identities of the rich folk. Which means, I guess, that us poor people who sometimes bid on eBay are open and vulnerable! :o
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited November 2007
    ;% Thanks Hardyboy. Those who can read are truely ahead. I have been blind....:(|)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!