Connery's shpeech impediment

Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,339MI6 Agent
I suppose this is the elephant in the room in some respects. Every Connery impersonation hash that sh sound to it - but he didn't always talk like that. The 'shplendid' thing comes from NSNA, when he's talking to the Shrublands gal. Is that something he acquired with age? I noticed BBC newsreader Anna Ford had something similar going once she got in her 50s...
"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Comments

• s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    I think it's just an exageration on his own accent that he's picked up over time.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Boris Karloff had a lisp, Kenneth Williams had flaring nostrils, James Coburn and Robert Wagner sounded like they had recently eaten plastic. Clint squints, Pierce smirks, Prince dubs women, and Connery, well he is Connery.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Maybe it has something to do with dentures. ?:)
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    edited November 2007
    Originally big Sean was probably trying to do what a lot of Scots do when they're down amongst the English, and that is talk in a more refined version of their own accent so that people can understand them. :D
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    Probably, but is it the case that the Poms have a more refined accent? :)) j/k
    "We have all the time in the world..."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,631Chief of Staff
    darenhat wrote:
    Maybe it has something to do with dentures. ?:)

Yup, that's the one. It increashesh... er, increases with his age; the slight "sh" was always there but becomes more noticeable later. It's not a Scottishism- nobody talks exactly like that around here!- but I've never had the patience to work out at which point the "sh" becomes most prominent.