Deja Vu

darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
Looking ahead to 2008, I realized that there were a few interesting similarities to 1989.

A Bond film is being released, touting a new actor in his second turn in the role (Bond 22, LTK)

The film's release is on the heels of a Writer's Strike which effected the completion of the script.

While not steeped in the bloodbath that was the summer of 89, Bond 22 will be released in the same year as an Indiana Jones and Batman movie.

However, I'm certain that Bond 22 won't suffer the same fate as LTK!

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,351Chief of Staff
    Well observed, darenhat- let's hope that there isn't another six-year gap to follow the film!
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Well observed, darenhat- let's hope that there isn't another six-year gap to follow the film!

... or a Bond switch.

... oh wait...

:D
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    I can link it to Brosnan's early outing - after the success of GoldenEye, they went into TND without a finalised shooting script. 5 years later, they were making DAD.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    taity wrote:
    I can link it to Brosnan's early outing - after the success of GoldenEye, they went into TND without a finalised shooting script. 5 years later, they were making DAD.
    Connery's second film was FRWL...just saying. ;)
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    blueman wrote:
    Connery's second film was FRWL...just saying. ;)
    FRWL was released the following year after DN (not two years later) and I don't believe that there was the controversy over Connery's casting (going into FRWL) that there still is over Craig's casting.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    The rumblings over Craig are pretty quite - not everyone likes him, but not everyone liked Brosnan.

And it should be noted that when doing FRWL, they at least had a story and location to start with, they werent coming up with an entirely original story.

Also, dan - I think blueman's reference to FRWL stemed from me saying that they mucked up Brosnan's second outing.
  • spectre7spectre7 LondonPosts: 118MI6 Agent
    You also forgot there's a new Star Trek film too, and even if it isn't very good, at least it won't be as bad as Shatner's The Final Frontier which is not only the worst ST film, but also one of the worst films of the 1980s!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,351Chief of Staff
    spectre7 wrote:
    You also forgot there's a new Star Trek film too, and even if it isn't very good, at least it won't be as bad as Shatner's The Final Frontier which is not only the worst ST film, but also one of the worst films of the 1980s!

Interestingly (or not :D) enough, in his book Star Trek Movie Memories Shatner partially blames the relative failure of that movie on "the biggest traffic jam of summertime megahits ever seen", citing Batman, Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade, etc. Similar sentiments have been expressed about LTK's financial performance.
  • SB_DiamondSB_Diamond North Miami Beach, FLPosts: 126MI6 Agent
    Very interesting...let's just hope that after Bond 22 we don't have to wait more than a year for the next one! *crossing fingers*
    *~Orbis Non Sufficit~*
  • frostbittenfrostbitten Chateau d'EtchebarPosts: 286MI6 Agent
    I'm not sure Eon can turn out Bond films every year any more, as the films have grown into major action epics (even if they're supposed to be more down-to-earth entries like CR).
    The fastest turnaround time would be 2 years, I think.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Speaking of deja vu all over again, this just hit me. . .

It's November. Right now in the U.S., a computer-animated kids' movie is on top at the box office, while a well-acted and critically respected movie with a lot of action has been relegated to the number two position. But how did I miss the campaign for everyone to go see Bee Movie to protest the casting of Denzel Washington (or is it Russell Crowe?) in American Gangster?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Speaking of deja vu all over again, this just hit me. . .

It's November. Right now in the U.S., a computer-animated kids' movie is on top at the box office, while a well-acted and critically respected movie with a lot of action has been relegated to the number two position. But how did I miss the campaign for everyone to go see Bee Movie to protest the casting of Denzel Washington (or is it Russell Crowe?) in American Gangster?
    :D Kids rule.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited November 2007
    darenhat wrote:
    While not steeped in the bloodbath that was the summer of 89, Bond 22 will be released in the same year as an Indiana Jones and Batman movie.

That's (hopefully) a safe bet, since I don't think Bond will be in direct competition with either one in November. Best keep an eye on those bloody penguins, though :v
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    darenhat wrote:

That's (hopefully) a safe bet, since I don't think Bond will be in direct competition with either one in November. Best keep an eye on those bloody penguins, though :v

Since LTK, Eon has apparently avoided summer releases. But the holiday release schedule seems to become more and more crowded, too. While Bond 22 may not be pitching against some of these heavy hitters, there could be some surprises in store. I didn't expect Happy Feet to do as well as it did, regardless of its being a kid's movie, so who knows what audiences are going to get on board with.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited November 2007
    darenhat wrote:
    darenhat wrote:

Since LTK, Eon has apparently avoided summer releases. But the holiday release schedule seems to become more and more crowded, too. While Bond 22 may not be pitching against some of these heavy hitters, there could be some surprises in store. I didn't expect Happy Feet to do as well as it did, regardless of its being a kid's movie, so who knows what audiences are going to get on board with.
    I don't think Eon has any need to be overly concerned. While I doubt that Bond 22 will be as successful as CR (for a host of reasons) I fully expect it to be a big hit. Of course, there is no way of knowing how successful it will be, but considering the critical/popular reception to CR, and that every Bond film has (I believe) been profitable, I would be very surprised if it doesn't make at least a few 100 million dollars worldwide. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    darenhat wrote:
    Since LTK, Eon has apparently avoided summer releases. But the holiday release schedule seems to become more and more crowded, too. While Bond 22 may not be pitching against some of these heavy hitters, there could be some surprises in store.

Could be. I don't know what they'll be up against come November '08...but whatever it is, surely it's at least in pre-prod now---otherwise, the strike will hold it back...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM