Fan Fiction -> In Lightning's Wake

SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
The latest novel by Daren Hatfield (Darenhat) has been launched in the fan fiction section. Tell him what you think in this topic, we both hope you enjoy reading it...

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/fanfiction/inlightningswake.php
Simon

Comments

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    A fan-fic specifically about M. . . I like the sound of it!!

I'll have a read when I get a moment and I'll post a review. Love the cover art by the way. . . ;)
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Golrush007 wrote:
    A fan-fic specifically about M. . . I like the sound of it!!

I'll have a read when I get a moment and I'll post a review. Love the cover art by the way. . . ;)

Thanks, Golrush! :)

This is indeed a unique addition to the fan fic library in that it doesn't feature James Bond.

The story is based on the literary M of Ian Fleming's novels. But I did take some liberties. Funnily enough, during my research, I did not find any references to M's name actually being 'Miles Messervy' but instead saw a reference (in Moonraker, I believe) where Fleming 'censored' his name to 'M____ M________'
    If anyone can actually find the origin of the Messervy name, I would be interested in knowing.

Anyway, the story is assuming that M's name is indeed Miles Messervy and references his extensive naval career.

I hope anyone who reads the story finds it enjoyable (it has the virtue of being somewhat short!) and I would gladly entertain feedback! :)
  • The Sly FoxThe Sly Fox USAPosts: 467MI6 Agent
    Glad to see we now have some more of Daren's work! If his recent work on Novel 6 says anything about In Lightning's Wake (and I'm sure it does!), this is definitely going to be an excellent read! Cheers, Daren! {[]

By the way, that cover's great! Very Thunderball-ish. :)
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    well! I'm so looking forward to reading this tale. you've thrown a curve ball there my friend -and I wasn't quite expecting it. I will indeed give you feedback soon and will let you know what I think.

How great it is to see new work in the library. :)
    Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen. I'm glad you like the cover, Sly Fox! I scrapped a couple of previous covers I made since they didn't seem interesting enough. Otherwise the tale would have been ready a few weeks earlier.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    Well I have just finished reading In Lightning's Wake and I must say that I enjoyed it very much. It seemed an appropriate story for the man we know as M to have taken part in. It was fast paced and exciting, which is always a plus with this kind of story! Also the flavour of the period as well as the tough as nails Royal Navy characters made the story all the more enoyable. Reminds me a little of the stories told in Commando comics and the like. There are one or two period inaccuracies but these are almost unavoidable when writing about a period that you have not experienced.

But all in all - very good work Daren. I look forward to seeing more of the M chronicles!
    edited November 2007
    I appreciate the feedback, Golrush! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

You're absolutely right about my not experiencing that time period. I did a fair amount of research (both on M and WWI naval events) but there are inevitably some small, shall we say, fluorishes that I took license with. There was indeed an HMS Lightning that sank due to a mine explosion. The exact location and circumstance, and the fact the First Lieutenant was a man named Miles Messervy, are my own liberties. Though to use a small dinghy-type craft to lay mines is the height of insanity, I must admit. And I openly admit that I shamelessly referenced 'cosmoline' which I don't believe was used at the time, but I was too lazy to dig up more details regarding munitions handling of the era.

I'm glad you enjoyed the characters and the feel of the story. I was partially-inspired by John Buchan's Richard Hannay novels, and like Buchan's intrepid adventurer, I hope to add more chapters to Messervy's history.
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    darenhat wrote:

I'm glad you enjoyed the characters and the feel of the story. I was partially-inspired by John Buchan's Richard Hannay novels, and like Buchan's intrepid adventurer, I hope to add more chapters to Messervy's history.

This is thrilling to see -and the fact you quote Buchan as an inspiration is something I myself had thought whilst reading this excellently paced tale that is in my mind very in keeping with the image of a younger Miles Messervy. It really shows that you are a talented writer and have an imagination to match. It is not always easy to start such a venture -and one is always a bit unsure as to the reaction to such a leftfield idea -but this series is fresh and exciting and for one -only wished I had thought of it myself -although I may not have conjured up such a well detailed story. your attention to detail for the most part is excellent -and the manner in which the dialogue flows is excellent. This story is truly great addition to the fan fiction library and I hope it will be the first of a decent series that will make the original M into a much more rounded figure in our collective imaginations. :)
    Once again -top notch.
    Thank you kindly, SC1! I'm glad you felt the story was 'Buchan-esque'! I greatly appreciate input, especially when it comes from veteran Fan Fic writers like you and Golrush, who have shown enthusiasm and dedication to AJB's fan fic library.

The Fan Fiction here is for me one of the great aspects of the site. I'm glad I can finally contribute to it (other than cover art!). Thanks again!