Any word on custom watchband order?

I thought I'd check since there was some discussion of either a Phoenix or Maratac watch strap/band becoming available for a group order.
Maratac does offer the General Service pattern but with metal keepers.
It would be great if Bond fans had their own design (red lines, imagined or not with greenish grey/blk)in all sizes.

Comments

• SharpeSharpe Posts: 84MI6 Agent
    I'm also interested in an update to this.

Also, I bought a couple of relatively cheap nato straps from a seller on ebay and they're fairly poor quality - both broke a little on the end nylon bits. Would maratac be much better quality?
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    BTW,

Just watched "Goldfinger" on a high definition TV, looked to me like the red in the watch strap is NOT some kind of film effect. The grey seemed very green too .....
  • Double-oh nineDouble-oh nine USAPosts: 60MI6 Agent
    According to many watch sources I have spoken with, Maratac quality is considered to be above military spec criteria.
    At this point however, if someone here at abj came up with a viable alternative for members only, I'd jump on!
    Like the Madagascar shirt, someone would need to find a company that makes this type of watchband, and see if they can supply bands made in the proper or improper colors.
  • Coldheart96Coldheart96 Florida , USAPosts: 203MI6 Agent
    edited December 2007
    Have any of you looked at this website? http://www.countycomm.com/ Not sure if this is what you've been looking for, but thought I'd let you know. Cheers.
    Bond: "Who would spend $1 million to kill me?"
    M: "Jealous husbands. Outraged chefs. Humiliated tailors. The list is endless!"
  • Double-oh nineDouble-oh nine USAPosts: 60MI6 Agent
    Good stuff but no cigar. Here is the place for Maratac but the metal keepers are still a sore point with me. http://www.broadarrow.net
    The texture of the nylon on the Maratac bands looks "rougher" than the nylon on the "Goldfinger" band.

I found that you can cut off the additional metal band, and thread the watch ala Connery.

As has been postulated before, the original nylon strap was probably a commercially available watchband in the early 1960's. I found examples of actors wearing similar watchstraps in episodes of "The Avengers" and "Danger Man". It may have been that the band used in "Goldfinger" was chosen in part because it looked "military". I would submit that it was most likely chosen because it was "waterproof" and long enough to fit over Connery's wetsuit in the PTS.

Prehaps someone who has interest could find some UK catalogs from 1960's watch shops or department stores and see if the original is listed.

Once an original is located finding a source for a repro would be much easier.