Ultimate DVDs dumb q's

Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
edited November 2007 in Off Topic Chat
Having watched much of MR last night on Ultimate DVD, it's so good I don't much care to go back to the old type for any DVD. Not for a film I really love.

But how do you know if your DVD is the Ultimate, or if they'll be a new, remastered one in the pipeline? Is is just a case of doing research on it? What if I buy a Hitchcock box set? Then, a year later, oh – here's the Ultimate version?

I find it quite off-putting. I assume btw that the Star Wars genre has had all this treatment? How many others have?

Edit: Oops, that should read "dumb questions!", not dump questions! ;% Could any mods do the honours!

Edit again: Thank you!
"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Comments

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,285MI6 Agent
    Call me cynical but when it comes to high profile movies and filmmakers there will always be another, "better" edition down the road. It's called double dipping and some films are on their fourth or even fifth dip.

I'm sure the James Bond Signature Series High Definition BluRay DVD's are already on the drawing boards for a release at some future, unspecified date, probably to coincide with the release of Bond 22. And I'm also sure there will be some additional content "unearthed" that will just demand another purchase.

The question really becomes at what point does the actual film look good enough that you can say "OK, this is good enough for me - no need to ever buy this one again". If it's a small movie then a standard edition DVD is probably good enough - a film like Sleuth might fall into this category as there's really nothing visually striking about it that warrants higher levels of detail. On the other hand, there are some titles that I HAVE to have the latest and greatest versions of. Take 2001: A Space Odyssey for example; I bought it on VHS, video disc, laser disc, DVD, anamorphic DVD and now BluRay. And if it comes out on something else some day, I'll probably buy it again. Star Wars would fall into that category as well - it's a visual spectacle and would benefit from high-def treatment.

As for Bond? Some films like YOLT, TSWLM MR would probably look better as the high-def treatment would probably make Ken Adams' outlandish sets stand out more. CR is already available as a high-def BluRay release. The added detail really makes the film sparkle but I have refrained from picking it up so far since I really didn't care for the movie.