Good Trilogy's are always ruined!

2»

Comments

• Honey RiderHoney Rider Posts: 211MI6 Agent
    Dirty Harry
    Considering there were 5 Dirty Harry films, can it really be considered a trilogy? ;)
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    I'm saying it like

The Original Trilogy
    Dirty Harry
    Magnum Force
    The Enforcer

and more
    Sudden Impact
    The Dead Pool
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • Honey RiderHoney Rider Posts: 211MI6 Agent
    I'm saying it like

The Original Trilogy
    Dirty Harry
    Magnum Force
    The Enforcer

and more
    Sudden Impact
    The Dead Pool
    Well, in that case, I don't think this trilogy was ruined, as I love all 5 films. :D
  • Krassno GranitskiKrassno Granitski USAPosts: 896MI6 Agent
    Well, in that case, I don't think this trilogy was ruined, as I love all 5 films. :D
    Which was my point, however I did not express it well.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Which was my point, however I did not express it well.
    I also love the Dirty Harry films. :D Although I'm not a big fan of The Enforcer, I really love all of the films, and to me, the Dirty Harry films are a perfect example of a trilogy which hasn't been ruined at all. In fact, of the five films, my second favourite is Sudden Impact (the fourth film in the series) and my third favourite is The Dead Pool (the fifth film), with Dirty Harry being my favourite, so I am delighted that the original trilogy was extended. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,285MI6 Agent
    The Alien movies were a series pretty much undone by the third film. After getting two movies that show us what a strong survivor Ripley is, part 3 undoes everything - killing off Newt & Hicks off screen and turning Ripley into a wannabe Martyr. The titular alien was turned from the "perfect organism" of the first two films into a another monster in the dark. They didn't even bother to explain how the facehugger got onboard the ship in the first place. David Fincher should be shot in both kneecaps for that atrocity. Alien Resurrection tried to undo some of the damage, but even that was too little too late.
    TonyDP wrote:
    The Alien movies were a series pretty much undone by the third film. After getting two movies that show us what a strong survivor Ripley is, part 3 undoes everything - killing off Newt & Hicks off screen and turning Ripley into a wannabe Martyr. The titular alien was turned from the "perfect organism" of the first two films into a another monster in the dark. They didn't even bother to explain how the facehugger got onboard the ship in the first place. David Fincher should be shot in both kneecaps for that atrocity. Alien Resurrection tried to undo some of the damage, but even that was too little too late.
    Aliens 3 really bothered me the 1st time I viewed it. However on a second viewing, I actually enjoyed it. Can't stand Resurrection.
    I quite liked Alien Resurrection however I didn't much like Alien 3. Neither film, though, were anywhere near as good as the first two films.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    Neither film, though, were anywhere near as good as the first two films.
    Agreed {[]
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    I've got a confession to make, I love Alien 3
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    I've got a confession to make, I love Alien 3

As do I. I can understand why so many fans of the first two hated it though. I'd like to defend Rocky Balboa though Sweepy, and Rocky 4. I rather enjoyed both. I think the most obvious example of a film being ruined by its sequels is Highlander, which has four follow-ups so far, all of which contradict what has gone before in the franchise and are really bad films.
    edited November 2007
    Dan Same wrote:
    Neither film, though, were anywhere near as good as the first two films.
    Agreed {[]
    {[]
    John Drake wrote:
    I rather enjoyed both. I think the most obvious example of a film being ruined by its sequels is Highlander, which has four follow-ups so far, all of which contradict what has gone before in the franchise and are really bad films.
    I've only seen Highlanders 2 and 3 (among the sequels), and 2 was terrible. It indeed completely contradicted the original, and in a really stupid way as well (the immortals are aliens! :s) however 3 was pretty good IMO plus, it actually ignored 2, and was instead a direct sequel to the original.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    however 3 was pretty good IMO plus, it actually ignored 2, and was instead a direct sequel to the original.

3 is quite entertaining. There's some stuff I do like. Lambert's slightly bemused performance. The New York scenes. MacLeod ending up in an asylum, because his bullet wounds have healed. Shouldn't they have put him in a a laboratory and studied him? But no, they put him in a straightjacket! :)) Deborah Kara Unger. And the 'Bonny Portmore' sequence.

But there's also- the annoying kid. Can filmmakers stop giving lonely heroes kids to look after? That nonsense in the cave with Mako. The French revolution sequences with the double entendres that made it seem like (Carry on Highlander, and that annoying operatic music that plays over the finale.
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    Star Wars
    I don't think the prequels ruined the originals at all, and actually gave them more depth. There is no question, however, that The Phantom Menace was an absolute abomination.

Die Hard
    I enjoyed the original three, but this fourth one lacked the character of its predecessors. There was too much tech talk, and parts of the film dragged horribly. What was great about the others is that they were well paced. This was not the case in this fourth film.

Indiana Jones
    I personally think that The Last Crusade was the strongest film in the Indiana Jones trilogy, and ended it perfectly. While we don't know how good this fourth film will be - it can't surely be any better than what we've seen already.

Batman
    This franchise began going downhill with the third film - let alone the fourth, which I consider the worst film of all time.

Terminator
    Again - the third film didnt live up to its predecessors, so I'm looking to the fourth one to improve.

Rambo
    Frankly, I thought Rambo 2 and 3 were ****e anyway.

Ultimately, I think that debates over whether film series should just be left alone or not will always be inconclusive. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. It's that simple.