How much impact does a Bond girl have?

Jack BurtonJack Burton Porkchop ExpressPosts: 19MI6 Agent
I hope this hasn't been discussed, but I did a search and didn't find anything similar.

What I'm asking is: Are there films you like or dislike mostly based on the Bond girls? For example, I'm one of the few who would rank TSWLM in the bottom quarter and I credit it to the Bond girl and the score. If they had used Caroline Munro as Amasova and had a John Barry score I would have it in my top half at least. I really don't mind the rehashed plot (YOLT) but Barbara Bach is one of the worst actresses (tied with Tanya Roberts); she seems positively robotic and I've seen automatons that emote better! Let me also add, I know most Bond girls are weak actresses so I'm comparing her to the others not actresses in general. Oh, and Caroline Munro is MUCH prettier (built better, too).
I don't mean this to be a BB bashing thread, I just wanted to explain my biggest problems with TSWLM. In the other direction, I love DAF which has a weak plot but two of my favourite Bond girls. Some may say that Jill St.John is annoying, but she's acting a part. As for Lana Wood she's not in it very much and is perfect eye candy.

What do you guys think?
This is gonna take crackerjack timing...

Comments

• Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    The Bond girl can definitely contribute to my overall feeling about a film, but perhaps not to the same degree as it does for you, Jack.

To use your example, I acknowledge that Barbara Bach is not that good (love the generic accent!) but the film's strengths far outweigh that for me.

One Bond girl that definitely diminishes my enjoyment of an otherwide good film is Kara Milovy, whom I find to be a glaring weak point of TLD. Another is Stacey Sutton -- if I really press myself, I have to admit that my opinion of AVTAK would be substantially higher if someone decent had portrayed Stacey.

Conversely, a good Bond girl can elevate an otherwise weak film. DAF is a perfect example -- practically on her own, Tiffany elevates the film in my eyes from really bad to middle-of-the-road.

Interesting topic! {[]
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    I think they'd have a lot of impact on the film! I agree that Caroline Munro should've taken the part of Anya, she's just... wow... ;%

Still, if you had taken out the character of Tracy or had someone besides Diana Rigg act out that character, I don't believe people's perception of the film would be as positive. Same as if Natalya from GE would've been eliminated or played by a different actress, you would just lose that feel and an essence of the movie would be gone (especially considering how much time is spent on just her). If Pam Bouvier wasn't in LTK it would go from one of the worst films ever made to the worst film ever made. Carole Bouquet's Melina Havelock was also a shining point in the film considering how brave she was and how statuesque and haunting her features were.

However, there are many others where I would've enjoyed the film much more if the actresses were better and the character were revised. Mie Hama's Kissy Suzuki is terrible and not as strong a character as Aki. St. John's Third Act Tiffany Case lost all of her smarts and wit, d'Abo's Kara Milovy was a weak and boring character, Auger's Domino is merely a pretty face, Wai Lin and Jinx were too show-offy and Vesper was unlikeable and frightening.

But yes, I believe the Bond girl is one of the most important aspects of the film.
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Porkchop ExpressPosts: 19MI6 Agent
    edited November 2007
    One Bond girl that definitely diminishes my enjoyment of an otherwide good film is Kara Milovy, whom I find to be a glaring weak point of TLD. Another is Stacey Sutton -- if I really press myself, I have to admit that my opinion of AVTAK would be substantially higher if someone decent had portrayed Stacey.

Conversely, a good Bond girl can elevate an otherwise weak film. DAF is a perfect example -- practically on her own, Tiffany elevates the film in my eyes from really bad to middle-of-the-road.

I can totally understand what you're saying about Kara; d'Abo doesn't do a great job in the role but since she's playing a naive, sheltered girl and has good chemisty with Dalton I tend to excuse the poor acting. Besides her lack of emotive capabilities, my issue with with Barbara Bach is that even though she's about as good in the acting department, she's portraying a high eschalon secret agent and isn't convincing at all. AVTAK suffers in three ways for me: May Day, Stacey and Moore. I really enjoy Sir Roger's portrayal of Bond, but I wish Dalton would have taken over here and if they would have had one decent Bond girl with him this movie would be great. If they just had to use Moore I wish they would have had Fiona Fullerton play Stacey.:x

I agree with you totally about DAF. Along with Tiffany Case, the reason I like that film so much is because of the way Connery let loose and had fun with the role!
    Still, if you had taken out the character of Tracy or had someone besides Diana Rigg act out that character, I don't believe people's perception of the film would be as positive. Same as if Natalya from GE would've been eliminated or played by a different actress, you would just lose that feel and an essence of the movie would be gone (especially considering how much time is spent on just her). If Pam Bouvier wasn't in LTK it would go from one of the worst films ever made to the worst film ever made. Carole Bouquet's Melina Havelock was also a shining point in the film considering how brave she was and how statuesque and haunting her features were.

I agree with each of these observations (especially the first - I luuurve Diana Rigg !!) except the one about LTK; I find it to be one of the best films and the beautiful Carey Lowell makes it even better!
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Good topic, I think the Bond girl can have a big impact in my enjoyment of a film. For example, I think Eva Green was all wrong for CR and it defintiely reduced my enjoyment of the film. Having read CR a number of times my mental image of Vesper was of someone with a softer appearance and more vulnerable. Green's looks are hard to describe, but soft is not one of them. I really think Rose Byrne would have been much better.

On the other side I really think Britt Ekland adds to TMWTGG. Now I know everyone finds Goodnight annoying, but Goodnight IS annoying and Ekland nailed the part. Plus she looks great in a bikini.

Other Bond girls that were plusses, Ursula Andress, can't imagine anyone else in that role, Lucianna Paluzzi, the best bad Bond girl ever, and Carey Lowell, balanced being a capable female partner, being atractive and without overshadowing Bond.

Bond girls that are minuses, Rosie Craver, come on, that was the best they could do, Tanya Roberts, if she would have cried "James" one more time I would have thrown something at the screen, Carole Bouquet I have seen drift wood that showed more emotion than she did.
  • Honey RiderHoney Rider Posts: 211MI6 Agent
    edited November 2007
    CTrent49 wrote:
    Although there are Bond girls that I have a low opinion of - Honey Ryder, Solitaire, Mary Goodnight, and Kissy Suzuki
    Why do you dislike Honey Rider? :o
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited November 2007
    ....Goodnight IS annoying and Ekland nailed the part. Plus she looks great in a bikini.

{[]
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,257MI6 Agent
    I dont think a Bond Girl has as much impact on a film as a Bond Villian. Poor villians usually lead me to not taking the film seriously (TLD being a good example) while a poor Bond girl can always be good eye candy if nothing else.

However some recent choices have been appalling (Denise Richards? What?) and I yearn for the days when proper actresses were chosen for the Bond films.CR was excellent in this, but curiously DAD, despite Halle Berry, failed for the same reasons; she was just too famous.

The best thing to sway me is always how the Bond Girl is introduced, so Honey Rider and Pussy Galore feature highly on my list.

However if Im just talking looks, I still think Daniella Bianchi and Claudine Auger were simply sensational in the '60s, while Lois Chiles and Carole Bouquet did for me in the '70s and '80s. In the '90s I really couldnt care less.

Im getting off topic....err, I guess the answers no. I dont prefer Bond films beacuse of the girls.
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Porkchop ExpressPosts: 19MI6 Agent
    edited January 2008
    chrisno1 wrote:
    I dont think a Bond Girl has as much impact on a film as a Bond Villian. Poor villians usually lead me to not taking the film seriously (TLD being a good example) while a poor Bond girl can always be good eye candy if nothing else.

See, and I have the opposing view. As long as I feel Bond is in immediate danger often enough in the film, I don't care how subdued or passive the villain acts. When it comes to the female cast though, I really need them to be engaging.

Since you mentioned Denise Richards, I just wanna add that I was very unhappy with her casting and character back when the film came out. Over the years TWINE has grown on me considerably, and I think it's Brosnan's second best. Consequently, I have gotten to appreciate Denise's character despite the ridiculous Tomb Raider wardrobe and name (especially after seeing the "too-awful-for-words" Jinx character in the next movie). I mention all this simply to point out that sometimes the film impacts my enjoyment of the Bond girl! :))