Penguin 007 - DMC & IF centenary

Penguin's site for Devil May Care and the 100 year anniversary from Ian Fleming's birth is live, but currently holds little information. A frugal pdf for now.

Next to the lush IF hardcover reprints, it would be nice to get Colonel Sun.

Comments

• zencatzencat Studio City, CAPosts: 224MI6 Agent
    I've started a new website/blog devoted to the lit Bond that is heavily into DMC and centenary news.

http://theliterary007.blogspot.com/
    www.thebookbond.com - New Look. New Book. Pure BOND.
  • a rogue AIa rogue AI Posts: 128MI6 Agent
    edited November 2007
    Your blog seems really nice, but I'm afraid I can't read it for a while... not until I've read the Black Dossier. I think I know how JB cameos in it though.
  • zencatzencat Studio City, CAPosts: 224MI6 Agent
  • SolarisSolaris Blackpool, UKPosts: 308MI6 Agent
    It looks a lot like a Bond film Title Sequence.

I don't know what I think about it. its.. Different from what as come before.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    It's catchy, but IMHO opinion is doesn't seem 'nostalgic' enough for a period Bond piece.
  • frostbittenfrostbitten Chateau d'EtchebarPosts: 286MI6 Agent
    I'm not sure I like the phrase "Writing as Ian Fleming" under Sebastian Faulks' name on the cover. Doesn't sound right... I don't remember seeing this on the covers of other continuation authors' books. Don't the covers normally say "Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in
    by
    " ?
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    The cover works for me, although I do agree with Darenhat that it should perhaps have been more nostalgic - we are of course going back to the continuity of the original Fleming series.

And also the 'writing as Ian Fleming' bit does seem rather odd! :s
  • SolarisSolaris Blackpool, UKPosts: 308MI6 Agent
    I think the "Writing as Ian Fleming" is to make it seem more like a Fleming Novel. suspend reality and consider it almost a 15th Fleming novel. Faulks being the only one to continue Fleming's original continuity. the other contnuation novels are less of a fleming novel and more of a novel by someone else that just happens to be about James Bond.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,621Chief of Staff
    I can't really make my mind up about the cover, it's nice, but not what I was after. I guess I wanted a cover that was more in the style of Richard Chopping, especially as the cover states that Faulks is writing as Ian Fleming.

Thanks for the update, zencat.
    YNWA 97
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    I think the cover is excellent---a nice nod to Binder. The 'writing as Ian Fleming' is intriguing.

I can't wait to read this one B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Well, only Amis really wrote as Fleming, and he called himself Robert Markham.

Faulks I guess is trying to make it clear that he's not writing in his own style in case his usual fans might be disappointed.

Don't care for the cover at all. Very unimaginative. More likely to put me off buying it than otherwise.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Don't care for the cover at all. Very unimaginative. More likely to put me off buying it than otherwise.

Nap, isn't it considered wise not to "judge a book by it's cover?"

Then again, you're not exactly known as a voice of the mainstream, or that of reason! :))
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,726MI6 Agent
    Extremely stylish.

Just for once I wouldn't have minded a Chopping-style cover as this whole book is about 'looking back'; but this is a very sexy and stylish image- wonderful stuff.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Watch it, Mr Hee!

Hope the book is great, just saying a cover is like a video for a song, should make you feel better about it...
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017