Lois Chiles in "Dallas"

actonsteveactonsteve Posts: 299MI6 Agent
edited November 2007 in The James Bond Films
One of the joys of being old is the length of memories that you have. And one of my keenest was Lois Chiles in "Dallas". I recently acquired the Season 6 DVD which is the one where JR and Bobby fight over the control of Ewing Oil by the terms of Jock Ewings will.

Lois plays Holly Harwood, heiress of Harwood Oil, who gets into partnership with JR. Watching it again after twenty/thirty years first of all shows that Lois Chiles was a stunning looking woman. I mean, truly stunning - and this was only four years after Moonraker. And for the first ten episodes she just hangs around being rich on a yacht and at at a swimming pool in a bikini.

But as the series progresses adn the story gets worse for her she really has some meaty scenes. Shes a good actress - no wonder she is Proffessor of Drama at Houston University. She was excellent in Death on the Nile as well..

Why wasnt this woman a major star?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=depopTa6ksM

Comments

• AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I'm old enough to remember Dallas, (Who shot JR?), Dynasty's queen of mean Alexis, Falcon Crest, etc. Of course, my mother watched them every week.

Lois Chiles, what a beautiful woman in Death On The Nile, that was my favorite movie as a boy. She was also in Creepshow II.
  • actonsteveactonsteve Posts: 299MI6 Agent
    Death on the Nile your favourite movie? You are a man of discernment and taste sir..
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I'm flattered. Thank you kind sir. Definitely a sucker for ensemble casts and anthologies.

Holly Harwood does have a familiar ring to another certain Holly.
  • actonsteveactonsteve Posts: 299MI6 Agent
    Be interesting to note Lois Chiles reaction to another character called Holly.

Or perhaps Ms Goodhead stuck in the producers brain so much that Ms Chiles was the first person he thought of when creating her..

Has Lois Chiles ever spoken about her non-Bond work?
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    I enjoyed Lois Chiles in Death on the Nile and in The Great Gatsby several years before.

Never was a Dallas watcher, and I must confess that I really don't find her attractive in that scene. Too much bad '80's hair and eye makeup -- a little like Michelle Pfeiffer in Scarface. I liked Lois's look a lot better in Moonraker.

No quibbles with her acting talent -- she delivered the goods.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    She was really good in great gatsby.

She pretty much never did become a big star. No real reason, guess it just depends on what other roles an actor picks/gets.

For a while she claimed it was typecasting, but I dont think she says that anymore