HP Lovecraft

a rogue AIa rogue AI Posts: 128MI6 Agent
Let's use this thread to discuss his works and perhaps his life too.

But first, a request. I've read great things about his body of work, but unfortunately none of it. I am in a mood to read some terrific horror literature and have some other things I want to order from Amazon, so could someone recommend some HP Lovecraft books (collections, probably) currently sold by (in print and also in stock at) Amazon dot com?

My thanks, in advance.

Comments

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,285MI6 Agent
    Long time Lovecraft fan here. I find people run very hot or cold to his style so you may want to start with some of his short fiction and see if it resonates with you.

Here's a link to the first Lovecraft book I ever bought. It's a good primer contains some of his best short stories including Pickman's Model, for my money one of the best and scariest pieces of short fiction ever written.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-H-P-Lovecraft-Bloodcurdling/dp/0345350804/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195610767&sr=8-1
  • Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    I got into lovecraft in the late 80's through the roleplaying game and enjoyed the books alot just dont bother with the film from the 70's what a stinker!
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    Long time Lovecraft fan here. I find people run very hot or cold to his style so you may want to start with some of his short fiction and see if it resonates with you.

Here's a link to the first Lovecraft book I ever bought. It's a good primer contains some of his best short stories including Pickman's Model, for my money one of the best and scariest pieces of short fiction ever written.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-H-P-Lovecraft-Bloodcurdling/dp/0345350804/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195610767&sr=8-1
    By coincidence, that's the first one I read.

I recommend the Del Rey line edited by Robert M. Price. The Chaosium books are also good.

If you like the Cthulhu mythos, be sure to check out other authors from the Weird Tales inner circle. There are many pivotal stories from his pals as they all corresponded and borrowed from each other.
  • a rogue AIa rogue AI Posts: 128MI6 Agent
    Thanks guys. I won't be placing my order until the end of the week, so please offer what book suggestions you can.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,285MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:

By coincidence, that's the first one I read.

I recommend the Del Rey line edited by Robert M. Price. The Chaosium books are also good.

If you like the Cthulhu mythos, be sure to check out other authors from the Weird Tales inner circle. There are many pivotal stories from his pals as they all corresponded and borrowed from each other.

Arkham House also put out some nice editions of Lovecraft. I'm not sure if they're still in publication but I bought their complete set (4 or 5 volumes - can't remember exactly as I'm at work right now) about 10-15 years ago. They were a little pricier than other compilations but the presentation was well done and once you got all the volumes you had EVERYTHING he wrote or edited.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Been a while since I read his work. I've got a collected edition of his work somewhere. I came to Lovecraft through the movies, notably Re-animator, but it would be nice to see a big-budget version. Guilliamo Del Toro had an adaptation of one of his works in the pipeline, but that fell away.