S.P.E.C.T.R.E. Lighter

Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
Here is a nifty little item I had a talented individual create for me some months back. It's a lighter with the SPECTRE logo on it. It's sort of a simulated mother of pearl resin with the octopus set in. The logo has depth to it and is not just painted on.

This was created as part of the "expanded world" of James Bond. My view is that the SPECTRE ring is a sign of very high rank within the organization and only belonged to members of Blofeld's inner circle. But I thought that other stratas of the organization would also have rank signifiers as well. The lighter would belong to members who had not yet attained the high status of ring ownership, but who were still highly valued members.

The backround story on this particular lighter was that it was recovered by MI6 from the charred remains of SPECTRE Agent Count Lippe after he was assasinated for bungling in the Thunderball affair. It subsequently was held over for examination by MI6 and photographs of it were kept in a general file on the criminal terrorist organization known as SPECTRE.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee124/DonaldGrantPhotos/SPECTRELIGHTER.jpg

DG
So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
image_zps6a725e59.jpg
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.

Comments

• thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,845MI6 Agent
    Let me say that I, along with some members of the Ian Fleming foundation were lucky enough to have seen this in person at the recent Bond Symposium. This photo doesn't even come close to doing the actual item justice!!! The workmanship is excellent and truly deserving of being included in the Bond prop world.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
  • scaramangasgoldengunscaramangasgoldengun ScotlandPosts: 1,388MI6 Agent
    I welcome anything and everything James Bond. from props and replicas to toys and models.

but items being classed as props which were never actually seen in the film or in any deleted scenes or behind the scenes stills etc. does seem a bit..... I dont know

It's not a replica or a prop. Yes I know the item has a nice story behind it. and why it would have been in THUNDERBALL, But it was not.

There are collectors who buy anything and everything which romotely looks like A bond item. I am not one.

Still a great little Lighter there very smart and Unique
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    edited November 2007
    I welcome anything and everything James Bond. from props and replicas to toys and models.

but items being classed as props which were never actually seen in the film or in any deleted scenes or behind the scenes stills etc. does seem a bit..... I dont know

It's not a replica or a prop. Yes I know the item has a nice story behind it. and why it would have been in THUNDERBALL, But it was not.

There are collectors who buy anything and everything which romotely looks like A bond item. I am not one.

Still a great little Lighter there very smart and Unique

Well, thanks, I think. This item was created for me alone because I wanted it. It was not intended to be specifically from any movie, but merely for my own pleasure. I created the backround story for the lihghter for my own delight. If others like it that's fine. If they don't that's fine too.

Not that I have to justify myself, but I also have an extensive collection of Bond memoribillia including original movie posters going back to Dr. No as well as props including the SD Studios Attache case, Golden Gun, Underwater Breather, Radioactive Pill as well as first editions, toys, models, magazines etc. Some of the props, however are culled from Bond's literary world and they are not seen in the movies. To me those items are just as collectible as props, but unless you read the books they would be lost on you. Recently, someone posted pictures of a Smith and Wesson Centenial Airweight and I was struck that people had questions as to what it was. Did you know that the literary Scaramaga carried a gold Colt Single Action Army?

Since I've been viewing, collecting, reading and researching Bond since approximately 1969, I feel sufficiently steeped in Bondiana to collect what I like with little regard to what others think. In the end I collect for my own pleasure.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • scaramangasgoldengunscaramangasgoldengun ScotlandPosts: 1,388MI6 Agent
    Please accept my deepest apologies. I meant no offence or to sound self opinionated.

I understand that its for your own delight and I respect that.

I said its not a prop or replica prop Because it isnt. But I meant no offence.

When I talked about props and people buying anythiong and everything Bond I meant that there is alot of items in circulation that are just rubbish passing themselves off as props and replicas which I think is pathetic.

However I 100% did not mean this comment or opinion upon the SPECTRE lighter.

And I confirm this to all who read this. I DONT THINK THE LIGHTER IS RUBBISH. the fact that it is not a sreen seen or replica prop just got me talking about that area or Items being passed off as something else.

ONCE AGAIN. I am sorry if any offence or wrong conclusions were drawn from my comments.

I DID NOT MEAN THESE UPON the very unique and cool lighter.
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    edited November 2007
    You are quite right, it's not a prop from a Bond movie. It's totally non-cannon, but so was Yoda's lihtsaber until Lucas Film discovered the prop made by Ed Magianni (Spyboys) and Steve Dymzo.

I am in no way likening myself to the prop making greatness of Ed Magianni nor do I think my lighter will ever be in a Bond movie. However It is illustrative of how some of us expand the fictional world of charachters we like with props of our own design.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg