Australian Election

taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
Sadly tonight Australia changed governments, and from tonight on I think that we will see a very different Australia.

What do Aussie posters think of the change of government?

Comments

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited November 2007
    taity wrote:
    What do Aussie posters think of the change of government?
    I'm delighted about the change of government, although I think it has come 11 years too late. ;)

I'm surprised that you aren't happy with a fellow Queenslander taking office. :v

BTW, as politics arouses passion (not all of it pleasant), I suggest that we approach this topic with great care. I'm a political junkie but I don't know whether it's a great idea discussing politics on a film website.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    I'm quite happy with the change of government.
    The previous government had far too long in office, and IMO the change was inevitable. I for one will be looking forward to what lies ahead for the country. :D
    Dan Same wrote:
    BTW, as politics arouses passion (not all of it pleasant), I suggest that we approach this topic with great care. I'm a political junkie but I don't know whether it's a great idea discussing politics on a film website.

There's nothing to worry about - on the Aussie Empire film forum, politics is discussed with great fervour, and the general election has been a hot topic for weeks now. The country is a democracy, in case you have forgotten. :) :v
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    I may not be an Aussie, but have heard plenty about things down here in New Zealand. Saw the change in government coming for sure. It will be interesting to see where Australia goes from here. I liked JH to a certain degree, but I think a change in government is a good thing for a country, especially since Howard's posse has been around for so long. Look at it this way, at least your PM isn't Helen Clark! :))
    "We have all the time in the world..."
    edited November 2007
    There's nothing to worry about - on the Aussie Empire film forum, politics is discussed with great fervour, and the general election has been a hot topic for weeks now. The country is a democracy, in case you have forgotten. :) :v
    Of course it is. :p :D However, that does not mean we should discuss everything on this site, especially if it becomes too combative. ;)
    Look at it this way, at least your PM isn't Helen Clark! :))
    Until last night, I would have taken her. :# :))
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    A "dust up" amoungst you Aussies might make a good read ..... especially since those of us in the other former colonies don't get any news on Austrialian politics. I don't have a clue if the winners were "conservative" or "liberal", which is how our politics are framed.

On the other hand, political passions run pretty hot, and like sex, religion and guns, should best be let off a site where everyone comes together as fans of oo7.

{[]
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    The former Prime Minister was conservatve, new one is left wing.

As for wanting Rudd as PM because hes a Queenslander - doesnt work like that. I was mates with his son at school, and it still didnt get me to vote for him
    taity wrote:
    As for wanting Rudd as PM because hes a Queenslander - doesnt work like that.
    I know, I was only kidding. ;)
    taity wrote:
    I was mates with his son at school, and it still didnt get me to vote for him
    I've spoken to Rudd's children. They seem pretty nice and very down to earth.
    Dan Same wrote:
    I've spoken to Rudd's children. They seem pretty nice and very down to earth.

I really hate to sound cynical Dan, but if they were on the campaign route, I doubt they would be anything else but nice and down to earth.
  • TimmyDaltonTimmyDalton Minnesota, USAPosts: 13MI6 Agent
    Lets just hope the US-Australia good relations can stay that way. When I talk politics with friends here no one seems to follow Aussie Politics, but I have always followed closely. John Howard seemed like such a good Ally, lets hope the relationship can continue whether or not the new PM agrees on Iraq.
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    True, regardless of politics the US and Australia should continue to get along. Now, there are some people who are saying that there isn't much difference between Howard and Rudd, what do some of you in favor of Rudd have to say about that?
    "We have all the time in the world..."
    Now, there are some people who are saying that there isn't much difference between Howard and Rudd, what do some of you in favor of Rudd have to say about that?
    I think there's a huge difference, but I'm not sure if this is the place to discuss it. :v PM me if you're interested. ;)
    taity wrote:
    I really hate to sound cynical Dan, but if they were on the campaign route, I doubt they would be anything else but nice and down to earth.
    Not necessarily. Yes, it was on the campaign trial (although it was actualy at an ALP function), but they didn't come across to me as anything but genuine. I didn't vote for ALP because of this, my family is an ALP family and the fuction was for ALP supporters, but they came across to me as quite ordinary. Which in a sense they are. I mean, yes their father is now Prime Minister, but one of the boys was talking (mostly to my brother) about completing year 12 and how it was affected by illness. They did not come across to me as anything but what they are.
  • GoldFingererGoldFingerer Posts: 32MI6 Agent
    GO RUDD! WOO!
    Look Dan as valid as your point may be, and as cynical as I may be - I cant help but state that if they want you to vote for their dad, they would try and be as friendly as they could. Maybe seem down to earth, yes - but thats pretty much their job.
    taity wrote:
    Look Dan as valid as your point may be, and as cynical as I may be - I cant help but state that if they want you to vote for their dad, they would try and be as friendly as they could. Maybe seem down to earth, yes - but thats pretty much their job.
    The thing about it is that it was at a functiion for ALP supporters. It was unlikely than anybody at the function would end up not voting for ALP. That said, Rudd did come across very much as a politician. I only had a few seconds with him, but (I don't know him, so I have no idea what he is really like) he did come across as very much a politician to me. His children, on the other hand, while obviously on their best behaviour ;), did across to me as extremely genuine. My brother, who spoke to them more than I did, commented to me when we were heading home that how genuine they were. At the end of the day, yes, it could have been all an act, but considering the environment and what my brother and I were discussing with them, I doubt it.