Ancient Spartans vs. Samurai vs. Legionnaires

RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
edited November 2007 in Off Topic Chat
I was having a fun conversation with a few co-workers over ancient warfare since one of them is in love with the movie 300. He claims that the Spartans were the best warriors hands down at the time...I disagreed. Note: he is in love with 300 & the Leonidas historical accounts. Plus he has a man-crush on Gerald Butler. :))

"300 this, 300 that...!" That's all day... :s

I retorted and said that the Samurai were just as lethal if not more and were certainly a formidible opponent for the Spartans. There katanas were forged of steel as opposed to the Greeks' bronze and that had better & cooler looking armor.

Although they both raised their young to fight (the Greeks a little harsher in that category), there was no room for the weak.

Of course there are other varibles that have to be taken into account like that the Greeks were masters of using their spears in that phalanx formation where the Japanese formed a line in battle. Throw in situations, locations, fighting styles, etc. and it could go either way. I still say the Samurai though.

He didn't agree and then someone else told him that the Roman legionnaires PWNED the Greeks. :))
To my knowledge, only the evolution of warfare (guns) and Samurai killing each other in duels, they were pretty much undefeated.

I'm not all up on my historical facts but still I thought that it was a good arguement anyway. Who do you think owns?
Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
-Batman: The Brave & The Bold -

Comments

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,285MI6 Agent
    So, your friends have graduated from debating Batman vs. Captain America to Spartans vs. Samurai.

I really can't offer much insight into this debate; I tend to agree that the Romans would have probably slaughtered all of them but that could well be my Italian background causing me to play favorites.

Still, I think it's time you started leaving the occasional copy of Playboy lying around for your friends to "find". Just to show them that there are better things to argue about. ;)
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited November 2007
    TonyDP wrote:
    So, your friends have graduated from debating Batman vs. Captain America to Spartans vs. Samurai.

:)) How did you guess? Yeah the one with the Cable statue on his desk.
    I really can't offer much insight into this debate; I tend to agree that the Romans would have probably slaughtered all of them but that could well be my Italian background causing me to play favorites.

Still, I think it's time you started leaving the occasional copy of Playboy lying around for your friends to "find". Just to show them that there are better things to argue about. ;)

Y'know, for days I said nothing as he ranted on because to me it didn't really matter. Their respective histories were all pretty cool to me but I had had enough of this one-sideness from him.

Then he had the nerve to Google my facts to see if they were true. I told him to read a book sometimes and not always a Marvel one.
    Yeah, he needs a girlfriend bigtime. :))

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,285MI6 Agent
    edited November 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:

:)) How did you guess? Yeah the one with the Cable statue on his desk.

Call it masculine intuition. :)) And you're right, it wouldn't hurt if they read a, you know, REAL book from time to time.

And as to my suggestion about leaving the occasional issue of Playboy lying around, he's bound to tell you that he's seen a naked woman. When he does, make sure to tell him that photoshopped fakes of the White Queen or Seven of Nine don't count. :v
    edited November 2007
    TonyDP wrote:
    And as to my suggestion about leaving the occasional issue of Playboy lying around, he's bound to tell you that he's seen a naked woman. When he does, make sure to tell him that photoshopped fakes of the White Queen or Seven of Nine don't count. :v

I had to show him that post; he wouldn't have believed me had I not. That burned his nerdy butt! Got him quiet on 300 for now anyway. :))

Still I wish that I had a mansion with a room full of these in my collection of warrior wear. Alot of people think these look silly...I think they look intimidating. B-)

gusoku_sold_0502_image2.gif

"This one must be...King Of The Wicker people!!!!"

"It's Japanese..."

"How do you know?"

"Because I bought it in Japan."

• NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I dunno, I think I've seen people wear that stuff in the Village, RA. :p

(In Manhattan, not the Prisoner village)
    edited November 2007
    I dunno, I think I've seen people wear that stuff in the Village, RA. :p

(In Manhattan, not the Prisoner village)

I wouldn't be surprised. Chelsea too. :))

Still cool-looking though.