1:18 scale Volante from Living Daylights

Dave2024Dave2024 Posts: 5MI6 Agent
Hi all. I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone new of a 1:18 scale 1987 Aston Martin Volante model (from the Living Daylights). I know that no such model of the actual Daylights vehicle exists apart from the smaller Corgi version, but as I have a background in scale model making I am seeking to convert any 1:18 scale Aston Volante to fit the bill. I've searched E:bay and Google to no avail so if anyone knows of any in existence please shout.

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• SpectreIslandSpectreIsland spectreislandPosts: 274MI6 Agent
    Hi, I've been collecting Bond cars for years and to my knowledge there has never been a 1:18 scale version of the Bond Volante.
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    The only Bond cars I know of that are vastly produced are the Corgi range, but as said, I too don't recall that any 1:18 versions being produced.
  • Dave2024Dave2024 Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    Anyone come across ANY 1:18 scale Volante from this period that could be converted/re-painted etc? The only Volante model I can find is the 1:43 scale soft top version and the Corgi.
    Surely in 1987 someone must have produced a model of this car? Even Aston themselves?

Dave
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    I wish someone would do one in a 1:24, so I could display it alongside my Danbury Mint DB5 B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    edited December 2007
    In 1990, I bought this 1/24th scale AM V8 by Polistil, which I believe was produced in the late 80's.

[img=http://www.carmodel.net/itemsPhotosEncrypter.php?0-10708.jpg]It's not as crisp as Franklin or Danbury Mint models. I actually attempted to replicate Dalton's AM and went as far as adding a roof w/annealed brass sheet and plumbers' epoxy putty, and buying metal after-market sports wheels very similar to the 1:1 TLD version. I have to say that I did a pretty good job with the lines and contours of the body up to the point of refining and polishing, but unfortunately never got around to finishing it :( I'm with Dave2024, that having this AM in 1/18th scale has been a long time dream and I was hoped that AutoArt, Ertl, or whoever else had the license recently would have eventually gotten around to making these "lesser" Bond Aston Martins. But let's just say that I'm really glad that Corgi and Fabbri (the current "JB Car Collection") eventually made their TLD Aston Martin renditions.[/img]
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    edited December 2007
    I wish someone would do one in a 1:24, so I could display it alongside my Danbury Mint DB5 B-)

I have that model too. The only thing I'm not pleased with are the wheels, which have a lesser, toy-like look compared to the model's overall quality. I swapped them out for replacement wheels from Tamiya's 1/24 Mk. II Jaguar kit.
    Compare:
    1414-35778.jpg64Aston_db5_slvr.gifSorry for not having any pics of my model handy.  Generally, no two car makes have the same wire wheel configuration, which are practically as unique to a make and model just as fingerprints are to humans.  An exception I discovered, however, is how wheels on 60's era Jags are surprisingly similar looking to those on the DB5.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    Well after spending many hours now searching for a 1:18 Volante Vantage I have realised that surprisingly one has never been made! Not even a Japanese resin kit!
    Can I suggest some of us take the initiative and launch a mini campaign to Joyride/ERTL in an effort to get them to manufacture one? It's long been proven in marketing that the "gadget" cars sell more than the "static" vehicles and the Living Daylight's Aston would look superb in 1:18th with working features and I'm sure would generate high sales for the company. Their contact details are below :

e-mail : FAQ@racn.com

RC2 Corp.
    Attn: Consumer Service
    2021 9th St. SE
    Dyersville, IA 52040
    USA
    FAX: (563) 875-8263
    PHONE: (563) 875-5959
    Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. CST.

Dave
    Does Ertl still have the Bond license?
    ERTL own Joyride and are still producing cars as far as I know.