BBC Radio Dramatisation Of Ian Fleming's 'Dr. No' in April '08

QwertyQwerty New York, USAPosts: 73MI6 Agent
Looks like IFP have yet another centenary event planned for April/May 2008. This time it's a BBC Radio 4 dramatisation of Fleming's Dr. No with Toby Stephens as James Bond.

http://commanderbond.net/article/4700
~ Nobody Knows Me Like You Know Me ~

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,726MI6 Agent
    Rather confusing that no-one wants to talk about a new James Bond being cast on a James Bond forum! :)

Excellent news- I was always a bit disappointed that Stephens was in DAD as I thought he'd make such a good Bond. And hearing Poirot getting crushed by bird droppings will be great fun!

I hope we finally get a faithful verison of this book; giant squid and all! :D
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,624Chief of Staff
    Sounds interesting, will have to keep an ear out for this. Thanks for the heads-up Qwerty -{
    YNWA 97
    edited December 2007
    Nope!

That is a wild/wacky choice of Bond/villain.
    A few reasons why he shouldn't be cast:

1. He was already a villain/Wiseman was much older....
    2. He hasn't got that Bond "status"

He wasn't a bad villain, just the film that spoiled it for him.

Just my opinion!

Hello Tilly (from the previous thread here ); I'm not sure you've quite grasped it- you know that Tony Stephens is playing Bond; not Dr No? I'm a bit confused by your Wiseman comment.
    And I don't know what you mean by Bond 'status'...? What's not Bondish about him?

He's a great choice for Bond, I reckon. But that's ajb I suppose! Wouldn't be the same without every new development being decried as awful! ;)
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    And I don't know what you mean by Bond 'status'...? What's not Bondish about him?

His height. I saw him at the London Expo a few years ago and he's about 5/7. Not that it matters much on radio. :D I'll never forgive him for his performances in DAD, and as a particularly dislikable Gatsby in a BBC production of The Great Gatsby.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    Well...as this will be a voice performance, I've no reason to doubt Mr. Stephens' ability to pull it off. I'm especially excited about David Suchet---and I'm still hoping he'll do a Bond film someday...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    John Drake wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

His height.

Oh for heaven's sake... ;)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,392Chief of Staff
    John Drake wrote:
    Not that it matters much on radio. :D

A few years ago I was doing a radio program and dropped in to visit my mother first. On my way out, I told her I was off to do a radio show. She looked me up and down and said, "Dressed like that?" :s
  • Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    anyone heard anything more about this? I dont want to miss it and its getting on towards the end of april
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
    Hello!

Yeah; it's set to be broadcast on 24th May on Radio 4:

http://www.ianflemingcentenary.com/pages/content/index.asp?PageID=83
    Barbel wrote:
    John Drake wrote:
    Not that it matters much on radio. :D

A few years ago I was doing a radio program and dropped in to visit my mother first. On my way out, I told her I was off to do a radio show. She looked me up and down and said, "Dressed like that?" :s

Haha! That's great! :D
  • Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    cool thanks for that I couldn't find anything on the radio 4 website grr I guess I'll have to give the wife the credit card to get her our of the house all day on the saturday:))
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
    On tomorrow, everybody!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,392Chief of Staff
    Am listening to it right now. Very disappointing and not a patch on the YOLT radio production several years ago. Stephens isn't great, but the biggest let-down is Suchet (an actor I usually enjoy) with an over-the-top, mannered performance. Oh, and the music stinks too.
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    Unlike you Barbel, I didn't think it was that bad. Stephens had his down parts, but for the most part he didn't do too bad.

I agree that Suchet went over the top, but it was interesting nonetheless (sometimes I thought my connection was bad :D).

I liked Quarrel and Honey certainly, I thought that those characters worked well.

Sometimes I feel the dialogue was a bit rushed, but that's how radio plays are sometimes.

Overall I enjoyed it. 7 out of 10.
    "We have all the time in the world..."
  • RonneRonne Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    hi guys,..
    its very great informative link shared here useful one for many others who needs this kind of stuff,…
    i appreciate this effort,..
    thanks,..
    prince