Bond vs. Barbie ...

PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
bondvsbarbiebl9.th.gif

... was the title of webinar I participated in the other day contrasting how 007 is marketed by EON, MGM, etc. versus Barbie by Mattel. Basically, the presenters made the case that Bond is marketed globally "as is" while Barbie is more dynamic, with localized versions throughout the world. They weren't arguing that one method was preferable, only that you needed to consider that both exist and make a choice when it comes time to position your own product. Exceedingly dry stuff, though intriguing if you're into marketing.

If anyone is interested, you can download a static PDF of the presentation or view the .avi file here.

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,614Chief of Staff
    Whoops, misread the title and thought "What the...?" :))
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Wouldn't be interesting to see Barbie-style marketing of Bond, though... 'Aloha Bond' 'Capitalist Pig Bond' 'Mysoginist Dinosaur Bond'...the list could go on an on.
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Whoops, misread the title and thought "What the...?" :))

You know, Barbel isn't a half-bad name for a new Bond villain ... :))
    edited December 2007
    highhopes wrote:

"Come in, Mr Bond... I am going to play you some John Barry music on this guitar while giving out a few quotes..." :D

"Damn you... I'll talk."

"After which my henchman Dan-Sam will read you out a list of his favourite Bond tortures.... I believe that you'll like no.4"
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    highhopes wrote:

"Come in, Mr Bond... I am going to play you some John Barry music on this guitar while giving out a few quotes..." :D

"Damn you... I'll talk."

:))

Come on Barbel, you won't get anything out of him that way. Try playing some of Serra's work, or Kamen's. :v
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
    Tee Hee wrote:
    Come on Barbel, you won't get anything out of him that way. Try playing some of Serra's work, or Kamen's. :v

Lemme see now, a knotted rope to the tender parts or being forced to listen to the GE score...? OK, Le Chiffre, do your worst! :))
  • GoldFingererGoldFingerer Posts: 32MI6 Agent
    I seriously thought this would be a video of Roger Moore destroying a Barbie Doll.

OT: Barbel Vox, The Satanist Villain who wants to use legions of brainwashed soldiers to conquer eastern Asia.
    I seriously thought this would be a video of Roger Moore destroying a Barbie Doll.

Ah, that would be an out-take from AVTAK when he gets annoyed at Tanya Roberts for forgetting her lines. :D
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:

Ah, that would be an out-take from AVTAK when he gets annoyed at Tanya Roberts for forgetting her lines. :D

Not funny. At least Serra's tracks aren't a spliced up, boring mess like Kamen's crap for LTK. You can't say that Serra's score is boring, much as you hate it. But Kamen's score is dull and dreadful, in a similar vein to the film. :v
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    "After which my henchman Dan-Sam will read you out a list of his favourite Bond tortures.... I believe that you'll like no.4"
    :)) This is the second best post I've read in the past few days. :v
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Serra's tracks aren't a spliced up, boring mess like Kamen's crap for LTK. You can't say that Serra's score is boring, much as you hate it. But Kamen's score is dull and dreadful, in a similar vein to the film. :v

For once I'm with you on this subject- at least to a certain extent. Yes, I agree that the LTK score is boring and perhaps more so than the GE score. However, IMO it doesn't detract from the movie itself by being inappropriate and distracting; the Latin guitar cadenzas used to underline Sanchez are effective and the Theme is used at the right time (the sea-to-sky sequence) in a recognisable form. It can be taken from the last sentence that I think the GE score is inappropriate, distracting, ineffective and doesn't use the Bond Theme at the right time or recognisably. This would be correct. :D

The presentation of the LTK score on CD does leave a lot to be desired- "spliced-up" is good- however I disagree that LTK itself is dull and dreadful.
    Dan Same wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    :)) This is the second best post I've read in the past few days. :v

I am NOT about to fall into the trap of asking you what's the best...:))