Vesper's Dead

jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
Eva Green has officially denied being in Bond 22:
She says that, contrary to heated internet rumour, she will not be reappearing in the as-yet-untitled 'Bond 22'. For a start, Vesper Lynd is dead. But Bond will try to have his little revenge for her death, pursuing Lynd's duplicitous Algerian boyfriend. 'So, yes there will be pictures [of Vesper] and things like that. I don't know who the Bond girl's gonna be. I'm a bit jealous! I hope it will be terrible,' she lies. 'I will be the love of his life!'

Sourced from the Observer - http://film.guardian.co.uk/interview/interviewpages/0,,2219046,00.html
Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart

Comments

• darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    edited December 2007
    Dare I say it?

I hear some AJBers dancing around...
    "Ding Dong, the bitch is dead! The bitch old bitch, the wicked bitch! Ding Dong, the wicked bitch is dead..."

sorry, couldn't resist ;%
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    pfft...Daren :))

I wasn't totally AGAINST Vesper...but hey...

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,593Chief of Staff
    Eva Green has officially denied being in Bond 22

Which is a great shame. It would have been nice to have had something from her in Bond22. The oft rumoured 'video' of Vesper could have worked and any excuse to see Eva again as Vesper would work for me :x
    YNWA 97
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    At least there'll be pictures, she says? Good to know she'll at least be referenced.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,722MI6 Agent
    I don't mind her not returning- she is, after all, dead. Any flashback or video message I'd worry would be a bit cheesy- and to be honest having her leave any sort of video message seems like a kind of retcon as to the events in CR; we saw how she felt and reacted, and then suddenly it turns out she did something else too? Nah. I'll be happy to see her mentioned, though- after all Fleming mentioned Vesper for many books.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Cheesy would be using screen shots of Vesper from CR put into picture frames - let's hope the photos they do use in Bond 22 are something that we haven't seen, maybe from outtakes or screen tests!
  • Smoke_13Smoke_13 Kitchener Ont CanadaPosts: 285MI6 Agent
    As much as I enjoyed Eva Green as Vesper I'm not so sure that we need to even have a photograph of her in the upcoming movie.

I mean, a message written or recorded that leads Bond to a pursuit would suffice for me. Forcing a picture into Bond's hands and having him sit there and reminisce or even lament about what could have been seems very un-Bond like to me.
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Smoke_13 wrote:
    As much as I enjoyed Eva Green as Vesper I'm not so sure that we need to even have a photograph of her in the upcoming movie.

I mean, a message written or recorded that leads Bond to a pursuit would suffice for me. Forcing a picture into Bond's hands and having him sit there and reminisce or even lament about what could have been seems very un-Bond like to me.

I agree. In fact, when you think about it, when would she have made a video message anyway? And how easy is it? (although it occurs to me -- can cellphones do that now? I know they can take pictures. I'm technologically challenged). Still, a simple voice message or letter seems preferable.

But I have another thought: why are we so sure that Bond is wracked with grief over Vesper's death as Bond22 opens? His last reference to her was to say "The bitch is dead." Who says he isn't still angry with her? Maybe Bond 22' dramatic, as opposed to action, story will be Bond's realization that he doesn't hate her after all. Just thinking ...
  • Crown 7Crown 7 Posts: 12MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Eva Green has officially denied being in Bond 22

Which is a great shame. It would have been nice to have had something from her in Bond22. The oft rumoured 'video' of Vesper could have worked and any excuse to see Eva again as Vesper would work for me :x

{[] I'm the president of the club of the Eva's lovers...Join me ! :D
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    I know this is not a surprise, but I am overjoyed she is not coming back. I will always believe that she was completly wrong for the part of Vesper. Fleming's Vesper was somewhat timid, remember Bond ordering dinner for both of them, Green's Vesper would have objected and then tried to order dinner for Bond. Fleming's Vesper was unsure of herself, Green's Vesper is almost cocky. Fleming's Vesper is impressed by Bond almost immediately, Green's Vesper appears to be disgusted by Bond. Fleming's Vesper was beautiful with soft features and curves. Green's Vesper (IMO) is not beautiful, has rather hard features and has no curves.

Vesper was my favorite Fleming female character and I will be forever annoyed that I now have to visualize Green as Vesper. My favorite Fleming female character is now my least favorite cinematic female character.
    I know this is not a surprise, but I am overjoyed she is not coming back. I will always believe that she was completly wrong for the part of Vesper. Fleming's Vesper was somewhat timid, remember Bond ordering dinner for both of them, Green's Vesper would have objected and then tried to order dinner for Bond. Fleming's Vesper was unsure of herself, Green's Vesper is almost cocky. Fleming's Vesper is impressed by Bond almost immediately, Green's Vesper appears to be disgusted by Bond.

Not really Green's fault, that- that's how the new Vesper was written. The job the film gave her did at least make more sense than in the book- she wasn't an MI6 officer and therefore couldn't handle the dangerous side of the mission. But yeah, I agree she wasn't really the same character as in the book. I must say that Green wasn't my favourite- I don't think she had that intelligent sparkle the script asked for.
    Fleming's Vesper was beautiful with soft features and curves. Green's Vesper (IMO) is not beautiful, has rather hard features and has no curves.

No curves?! Are we talking about the same person? :)
    Vesper was my favorite Fleming female character and I will be forever annoyed that I now have to visualize Green as Vesper. My favorite Fleming female character is now my least favorite cinematic female character.

As you say; no surprise! In fact I think I could have written this for you before the film was released! :D
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited December 2007
    darenhat wrote:
    Dare I say it?

I hear some AJBers dancing around...
    "Ding Dong, the bitch is dead! The bitch old bitch, the wicked bitch! Ding Dong, the wicked bitch is dead..."

sorry, couldn't resist ;%
    {[] I am delighted that the vampiress (copyright JFF) will not be returning. :D She is one of my four least-favourite Bond girls and a major reason why CR is not among my favourite Bond films. It truly is wonderful news. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Crown 7Crown 7 Posts: 12MI6 Agent
    Green's Vesper (IMO) is not beautiful, has rather hard features and has no curves.
    No more words.
    evagreennoeudamouralgerdu4.th.jpg
    :(|)
    Dan Same wrote:
    I am delighted that the vampiress (copyright JFF) will not be returning. :D She is one of my four least-favourite Bond girls and a major reason why CR is not among my favourite Bond films. It truly is wonderful news. :D

Wow -- What a difference a year makes. They haven't even started shooting Bond 22 and already Dan is heaping on the superlatives ... ;)

I think EON should include Dan's quote on the poster with the other critics:

"I am delighted ... It truly is wonderful ..." Dan Same, AJB Web site
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:

:)) I notice also that Dan used the phrase "My favourite Bond." I think that should surely be given pride of place on the poster for Bond 22.
    Dan Same wrote:
    She is one of my ...........favourite Bond girls and a major reason why CR is ......... my favourite Bond film.. It truly is wonderful news. :D

Hooray! :D
    Fleming's Bond didn't do alot of mooning over Vesper, and that's as it should be. My favorite reference to Vesper in the books occurs in "Diamonds are Forever" when Bond puts a phonograph on a player skipping "La Vie En Rose" because "it had memories for him"

Something like that could be arranged for DC to act against.
    7289 wrote:
    Fleming's Bond didn't do alot of mooning over Vesper, and that's as it should be.

Not a huge amount, no; but more than most. She certainly gets a few mentions even up to OHMSS- she affects him more than any other girl, with the possible exception of Tracey, does.
    Agreed,

Vesper awoke in Bond feelings of domesticity that do not belong in a Secret Agent. The trauma over her suicide, and his hate for those who blackmailed and used her propelled him into his personal vendetta against SMERSH.

Tracy was his second chance at a "normal" life. Her death was not something he could bounce back from so easy leading him to the decline explored in YOLT and TMWTGG. No doubt the memories of Vesper played a big part in Bond's extended grief over Tracy....

IF was probably secretly wishing he could have solved his martial problems as easily as Bond!
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:

emtiem wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    She is one of my ...........favourite Bond girls and a major reason why CR is ......... my favourite Bond film.. It truly is wonderful news. :D

If I were you Dan, I'd hit these guys with a slander suit (or is it libel ;) )?

I've already got a restraining order out on Loeffs for threatening to "bitch-slap" me in the "Casting Call" thread. Why not hit the other Craig-worshipping Flemingists with some impressive fines? :D :))
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    You're lucky the cops are here, dude X-(

:v :D :))
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    I am delighted that the vampiress (copyright JFF) will not be returning. :D She is one of my four least-favourite Bond girls and a major reason why CR is not among my favourite Bond films. It truly is wonderful news. :D
    Wow -- What a difference a year makes. They haven't even started shooting Bond 22 and already Dan is heaping on the superlatives ... ;)

:)) You know, some films actually do it. :o It's not particularly ethical but sadly it happens.
    John Drake wrote:
    I notice also that Dan used the phrase "My favourite Bond." I think that should surely be given pride of place on the poster for Bond 22.
    Be very careful. :v HH is already a sworn enemy of the anti-Craig/CR rebels. You do not want to join our hit list. :#
    emtiem wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    :v Now that emtiem agrees with me, I think that I should leave this site. :#
    Tee Hee wrote:

I've already got a restraining order out on Loeffs for threatening to "bitch-slap" me in the "Casting Call" thread. Why not hit the other Craig-worshipping Flemingists with some impressive fines? :D :))
    Great idea. :D I could always some extra money. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Tee Hee wrote:

Hey; we're not saying anything Dan didn't, we're just... leaving some things out. :)
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    7289 wrote:
    Fleming's Bond didn't do alot of mooning over Vesper, and that's as it should be.

Not a huge amount, no; but more than most. She certainly gets a few mentions even up to OHMSS- she affects him more than any other girl, with the possible exception of Tracey, does.

Bond actually meets Tracy as a result of Vesper - he is in Royale because he visits Vesper's grave annually. In addition, he skips La Vie En Rose in DAF because "it has memories for him" - this is of course "Vesper's song" in the novel of CR. She certainly haunts Bond after the events of the novel, and with good cause - she is a woman he fell in love with who betrayed him utterly, but gave up her life as a result.
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
    Dan Same wrote:
    highhopes wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:

:)) You know, some films actually do it. :o It's not particularly ethical but sadly it happens.

Oh, I know. :)) Every now and then I'll read a terrible review on a film only to discover the single lauditory quote " ... the sound effects are well-done ..." on the poster.

Then there's the "The Finest Film Ever Created Anywhere, by Anyone ... A Magnificent Achievement" quote from the South Succotash Weekly Bugle.

No offense to anyone from South Succotash ...
  • AlessandraAlessandra Lake Garda, ItalyPosts: 633MI6 Agent
    Wow, am I the only woman commenting here?!?? Surely it is a topic that should be interesting for men mainly, but still.. :))

Anyways I am with Tee Hee, Dan, Barry Nelson and all those who are overjoyed she isn't gonna be back. I didn't like her in the slightest. Not her looks, not her acting, least of all the way she portrayed Vesper (Although that's more the writers' fault rather than hers). I just don't like her at all and she is not my idea of a Vesper. So, from my point of view... good riddance! :))

No Bond girl has ever returned from the dead, why would she be different? She isn't Bond, she's just a Bond girl :D

Anyway for those who miss her, just search on youtube for Breil commercials on italian TV. She does them (not a good move given it is far from being a top of the notch brand). She also advertises a perfume from Dior called Poison, that should be all over fashion magazines in Europe (and I swear it's one of the perfumes I detest the most). Of course, Green only does Poison... the rest of the Dior advertising (cosmetics, accessories etc) has Monica Bellucci plastered all over the place. Very telling if you ask me! :D
    "Are we on coms?" (if you don't know where this is from... you've missed some really good stuff! :D)
    Such ongoing dislike for poor Eva and Danny :# A right shame...but many CR fans have long since realized that the ongoing backlash will NEVER END :p

For my own part, a 'video cameo' from Vesper would have been the extent of her appearance---and IMO it could have been effectively done---but much the same effect can be rendered by a simple glance at a photo (coupled with some sort of intelligence beaten out of one of the baddies :D ), so it's no big deal.
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    edited December 2007
    Alessandra wrote:
    Anyways I am with Tee Hee, Dan, Barry Nelson and all those who are overjoyed she isn't gonna be back. I didn't like her in the slightest. Not her looks, not her acting, least of all the way she portrayed Vesper (Although that's more the writers' fault rather than hers). I just don't like her at all and she is not my idea of a Vesper. So, from my point of view... good riddance! :))

Never argue with a lady gentlemen, they're always right. :D

Cept Babs of course. :))
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
    In keeping with my own personal theory that the Current Bond Regime can do no right for the Vocal Minority, I continue to look forward to what promises to be yet another Modern Bond Classic, Vesper or no Vesper :v

And the relentless, ongoing consternation of the haters is like the nectar of life...mana from heaven {:)
  • AlessandraAlessandra Lake Garda, ItalyPosts: 633MI6 Agent
    Loeffs darling I'm sorry.. I did not mean to ruin your enjoyment or deliver useless criticism.. I just don't like her, there's nothing I can do about it! I detest Bellucci as an actress as well, but I do find her beautiful. I can't say the same about Green.

But I did suggest places where to look for Eva Green for those missing her, that wasn't a joke at all. She does Breil commercials in Italy (jewels and watches) and she does do the Poison campaign for Dior. Look it up! :D

Tee Hee :)) :)) :)) The last sentence just gave me the best laugh of the day.. :D
    "Are we on coms?" (if you don't know where this is from... you've missed some really good stuff! :D)