Paul Haggis is the real deal

zencatzencat Studio City, CAPosts: 224MI6 Agent
So I saw Paul Haggis at the WGA rally yesterday in Burbank. He spoke (and I think Athena posted a video of this on YouTube). But it's what's happened afterwards that shows he talks the talk, but he also walks the walk.

It was cold and rainy and after the rally there was a huge pile of wet discarded picket signs that needed to be taped up and loaded into the WGA trucks. There was one poor guy who had to deal with it. Haggis steps right up and starts lugging signs. Everyone around starts doing the same (including me). The job got done in 2 minutes. And then Haggis sort of lingers looking to see if there's any other way he could help. There wasn't, so he finally drifted away, one of the last to leave.

A lot of people (celebs, etc.) turned out and helped like this is the first week. Many are long gone -- but here's Paul Haggis in the second month still working away. He's the real deal.

To Mr. Haggis.

{[]
www.thebookbond.com - New Look. New Book. Pure BOND.

Comments

• Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited December 2007
    Thanks for sharing,Zen--much appreciated.

Hey-here's a silly question: do you have any insight on how long the strike might continue?I just read this morning that negotiations broke down again yesterday(and of course,the producers are blaming the writers for this turn of events).
  • zencatzencat Studio City, CAPosts: 224MI6 Agent

Hey-here's a silly question: do you have any insight on how long the strike might continue?I just read this morning that negotiations broke down again yesterday(and of course,the producers are blaming the writers for this turn of events).

I have no idea how long the strike will last -- but it might be a very long time.

The breakdown in talks was very depressing, but it was also predicted (right down to the hour). The AMPTP planned this "breakdown" and have hired a political PR firm to "spin" all the facts against the writers. Be very wary of what you read and see on the news. After all, the companies the writers are fighting OWN most news oulets. I highly recommend these two websites for the truth:

Deadline Hollywood Daily:
    http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/

United Hollywood:
    http://unitedhollywood.blogspot.com/
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Good luck to the writers, but I think that the only winner in this whole thing will be Reality television, which is unfortunate.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited December 2007
    Good luck to the writers, but I think that the only winner in this whole thing will be Reality television, which is unfortunate.

I'm afraid you're likely right about that, 'Shooter, and more's the pity. Writers remain (unfairly) low on the Hollywood food chain...

It's good to hear about Mr. Haggis' personal character, though...thanks for sharing it with us, Zen! {[]
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Ironically, the writers are not really allowed to write anything in their defense. :s
    darenhat wrote:
    Ironically, the writers are not really allowed to write anything in their defense. :s
    Sure they are. This is a strike against the companies, not the written word. There are some very well done videos writers are putting up on YouTube and blogs are aflame with info. Thank goodness for the internet. :)
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited December 2007

Full agreement,'Shooter.As I recall,the last strike lasted about five months and during that period(late 80s),the big three networks had miniseries and maxiseries on hand for "Sweeps" which they released early to fill some of the gaps in their evening programming.They also showed more movies, and ABC even remade one famous TV show-Mission:Impossible-by using older previously filmed M:I teleplays from earlier seasons when this series had been on CBS.In addition,the nets also created several inexpensive evening newsmagines(Dateline NBC came about during this strike).

Today,however,we know that the nets don't show movies much-those are usually on cable.And it's a rare event when a miniseries or maxiseries is made by any the big three networks.But they will create more reality TV to plug the holes in their schedules--and that's unfortunate.Heck,I like some reality TV as much as the next guy, but I'd really rather have the chance to see more scripted shows instead of American Gladiator or The Apprentice.What's next?Fear Factor V?Married by America II? Oh,the humanity!

Here's hoping this strike comes to an end soon,and with a resolution that's fair for the writers.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    zencat wrote:

I have no idea how long the strike will last -- but it might be a very long time.

The breakdown in talks was very depressing, but it was also predicted (right down to the hour). The AMPTP planned this "breakdown" and have hired a political PR firm to "spin" all the facts against the writers. Be very wary of what you read and see on the news. After all, the companies the writers are fighting OWN most news oulets. I highly recommend these two websites for the truth:

Deadline Hollywood Daily:
    http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/

United Hollywood:
    http://unitedhollywood.blogspot.com/

So I guess I am supposed to believe that a union publication is more likely to tell the truth than a news show. Sorry I don't. Like all union managment negotiations the "truth" won't be heard from either side. I have seen some of the union demands and I think they are ridiculous. I have also seen some of managements counter proposals and I think they aren't serious. However, I do think some of the items the union has on the table should be removed because they are adding to the cost of business before any money is being made in that area, namely digital downloads. What right minded business person would agree to pay someone more if they are losing money at something?

Having been on the management side in some negotiations, I know the union often comes in with issues they don't really want just to have something they can give back to management without losing what they really want. I suspect many of the issues on the table could be quickly scuttled and talks focus on what the real issue is, more money for the writers.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited December 2007
    Labour disputes suck :# As a writer, I can completely see their side of the conflict...but as a union-wary believer in unbridled capitalism (and a member of management), I understand the other side of things as well.

You're right, Barry. The 'truth' will always reside in the "no man's land" between the warring factions...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,721MI6 Agent
    So I guess I am supposed to believe that a union publication is more likely to tell the truth than a news show. Sorry I don't. Like all union managment negotiations the "truth" won't be heard from either side.

Ha! :) Good point!
    edited December 2007
    emtiem wrote:
    So I guess I am supposed to believe that a union publication is more likely to tell the truth than a news show. Sorry I don't. Like all union managment negotiations the "truth" won't be heard from either side.

Ha! :) Good point!

Deadline Hollywood Daily has nothing to do with the union. It's the showbiz blog of The LA Weekly written by Nikki Finke and is considered one of the best showbiz news websites period.

And as far as the claim that the studios are not yet making any money from digital...I suggest you watch this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a37uqd5vTw

And as far as making concessions, the WGA already took one of the MAJOR issues off the table -- the 4¢ increase in DVD residuals -- because they were told via back channels that it would lead to a deal on internet and avert a strike. It did not.
  • jboyjboy Posts: 42MI6 Agent
    Haggis is Canadian. You couldn't expect anything less....
  • cbdouble07cbdouble07 Posts: 132MI6 Agent
    This whole thing is a mess and unfortunately I don't see things getting worked out anytime soon. I must side with the writers, after all the producers are making money off of the creations of the writers. But I'm sure that the writers are partly at fault for this strike too and probably have some unreasonable demands. I'm just glad a script for Bond 22 was completed before this mess. Sadly I'm losing hope for a full season four of Lost.
    cbdouble07 wrote:
    But I'm sure that the writers are partly at fault for this strike too and probably have some unreasonable demands.

Here are the key writers demands spelled out very clearly. Judge for yourself if they are reasonable. (And, remember, we already took the 4¢ DVD increase off the table.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ55Ir2jCxk
    Let me apologize upfront for helping take this thread off track, although I am not sure why it is in the Bond 22 topic area.

As for the strike I will let this article from the Washington Post speak for me. Other unions are pressuring the Writers Guild to stop being so rigid and a writer and a member of the union stated in his blog that the union should drop all their side issues and concentrate on the one that matters, which would be money for downloads.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/11/AR2007121100347.html
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    I wondered when the effects of the strike would hit production staff. They seem to be the group who are losing the most out of this situation. The studios seem determined to face down the writers. The DGA's willingness to negotiate could leave the WGA completely isolated. If there are angry crew members who can't get work,because of this strike, then I can see most of the pressure being put on the WGA to end it.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    This is just dirty tactics. Trying to make the DGA look good and the WGA look bad is just wrong. The DGA was scheduled to negotiate their contract just as the WGA scheduled to negotiate their contract. I still don't feel that the WGA is responsible for the breakdown of negotiations, and if the DGA contract goes through it's most likely not because they did make new demands but more of an indicator that they already had a decent agreement.

The WGA shouldn't drop any demands, IMO. And if production workers are losing work, then they need to put pressure on the REAL culprits who let negotations break down.

I hate it when the studios trot out the blue-collar production staff whenever they need to work up sympathy for the studio's cause. In fact, Hollywood had put out a campaign of ads to stop illegal downloads and movie-pirating with weepy-eyed production workers saying that it was tantamount to 'stealing from them'. 8-) what!? Don't try to tell me that these union workers have a piece of the download pie and writers don't!
    edited December 2007
    Let me apologize upfront for helping take this thread off track, although I am not sure why it is in the Bond 22 topic area.

As for the strike I will let this article from the Washington Post speak for me. Other unions are pressuring the Writers Guild to stop being so rigid and a writer and a member of the union stated in his blog that the union should drop all their side issues and concentrate on the one that matters, which would be money for downloads.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/11/AR2007121100347.html

Here's something you didn't read in The Washington Post. The AMPTP also have side demands -- 20 pages worth of rollbacks -- including a demand that the writer credit be eliminated from films altogether. Silly negotiating points that can be dumped? Hopefully. But they have not taken these off the table, so why should the writers take their side negotiating points off the table? Because they trust the AMPTP? Like I said, the WGA already removed a HUGE part of their real package -- the 4¢ increase in DVD residuals. That wasn't a side point, that was HALF our proposal. The other side has not removed anything from their nightmare 20 pager, yet they call the writers inflexible.

Negotiation is a give and take. It's time for the other side to give instead of issuing ultimatums -- which is what they are doing now.

As far as other unions go, the IATSE boss is, for his own personal reasons, talking trash about the WGA. That's it. But 20% of IATSE's health and pension come from the same residues we are fighting to persevere. If we lose them, they lose them, and the IATSE membership I encounter everyday understand this and hope we win. In fact, IATSE members held their own rally in support just last week.

Other major Hollywood unions -- SAG, AFTRA, the Teamsters, DGA (so far), all support us and many are out there on the lines with us.
    I don't agree with your assesment and never will, so I am moving on. Good luck to you.