Lois Chiles told to go to Hell from Robert Evans

Has anyone read the brilliant book,"The Kid Stays in the Picture". It is about the life of Robert Evans, the legendary man who ran Paramount Pictures. The film is fantastic, but if you read the book you'll read about how he had an affair with a certain Doctor Goodhead, and how, Good Head or not, he soon dumped her when she turned nasty. Here is an extract:

"Hey, who the Hell are you?"
Doing an about face, she said "Chiles, Lois Chiles"
Still not understanding, "Yeah?"
"I'm doing a film with Ray Stark"
"One of Ray's jokes hey?"
"I'venever been a joke. Sydney Pollack is directing me: The Way we Were. It's Ray's, he must be a good friend. He gave me orders to break your spell"
Ray wasn't Hollywood's top producer by mistake. He was right, she was the only woman who could have. She did.
Moxie? The dame put the word to shame, in two days she moved in lock stock and barrel.

The chapter goes on with Lois wanting a part, the part in The Great Gatsby. When Evan's gets her a part in it, she goes crazy because it is not the part she wanted. The chapter ends:

Her voice was one I'd never heard before. "Jordan, you're telling me I'm Jordan? I want Daisy, do you hear? I want Daisy!
From seductress to witch in a blink. Shocked? Yeah.
"Thanks kid, you just put me through college, you earned it, now get the **** out!"
She didn't get out. "but we're leaving for Acapulco tomorrow..."
Cutting her off with the warmth of an iceberg, "You're lucky the elevator's near. Listen real close. I'm a memory. Got it! If we're in the same room, you don't see me. Got it! Now get the **** outta my life. Got it!"

The chapter ends there.

Oh well, I guess she doesn't talk to her film students about Robert Evans much...

Comments

• highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Has anyone read the brilliant book,"The Kid Stays in the Picture". It is about the life of Robert Evans, the legendary man who ran Paramount Pictures. The film is fantastic, but if you read the book you'll read about how he had an affair with a certain Doctor Goodhead, and how, Good Head or not, he soon dumped her when she turned nasty. Here is an extract:

"Hey, who the Hell are you?"
    Doing an about face, she said "Chiles, Lois Chiles"
    Still not understanding, "Yeah?"
    "I'm doing a film with Ray Stark"
    "One of Ray's jokes hey?"
    "I'venever been a joke. Sydney Pollack is directing me: The Way we Were. It's Ray's, he must be a good friend. He gave me orders to break your spell"
    Ray wasn't Hollywood's top producer by mistake. He was right, she was the only woman who could have. She did.
    Moxie? The dame put the word to shame, in two days she moved in lock stock and barrel.

The chapter goes on with Lois wanting a part, the part in The Great Gatsby. When Evan's gets her a part in it, she goes crazy because it is not the part she wanted. The chapter ends:

Her voice was one I'd never heard before. "Jordan, you're telling me I'm Jordan? I want Daisy, do you hear? I want Daisy!
    "Thanks kid, you just put me through college, you earned it, now get the **** out!"
    Cutting her off with the warmth of an iceberg, "You're lucky the elevator's near. Listen real close. I'm a memory. Got it! If we're in the same room, you don't see me. Got it! Now get the **** outta my life. Got it!"

The chapter ends there.

Oh well, I guess she doesn't talk to her film students about Robert Evans much...

Great story, Mooreisbest.

I haven't read the book, but I have seen the movie adaptation. It really is a fascinating memoir. Like him or not, and many don't for understandable reasons, Evans is one of the great movie moguls of all time. Really kind of a throwback to an earlier era, when the producer's name above a title was as significant as the director or star's. A modern-day Irving Thalberg, to whom Evans has been compared. When you look at the movies the guy has been involved in, it can't all be a happy coincidence.

I'm going to have to read the book. I know the film must have skipped over a lot of fascinating stuff. But anyone who hasn't seen the film really should, especially because Evans narrates it. He has a way of talking all his own. Dustin Hoffman, a close friend, apparently is reknowned for mimicking Evans at parties. In fact he does his Evans impression at the end of the film, if I recall, and was channeling Evans in his Wag the Dog role.
  • mooreisbestmooreisbest Posts: 49MI6 Agent
    Yeah, you must read the book. Go straight to page 256 for the Lois Chiles bit. She sounds like a right piece of work. There is some other bits about her on the page but I didn't include them as I didn't want to course offense, as it gets a bit racy.

Anyway, I still think she is gorgeous, one of my favourite Bond girls. But then again, Moonraker is one of my favourite Bond films, so I am probably just demented!
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    I've seen the documentary, but I figure I know as much about suntan Bob as I would like to. Chiles had every right to be upset. Imagine having to date a bozo like that, only to find that he's given the part you want to some other actress. And Evans is actually surprised to find out that it is not his amazing personality that attracted her, but his power and money. No wonder his midas touch deserted him. Evans was one of the great producers of the 70's. Chinatown might just be the greatest film ever made. But remember he is also responsible for letting Val "My name is Bruno," Kilmer loose on The Saint.

I hope Chiles does warn her female acting students about lothario film producers and tells them not to put out until they've got the right part, or had that holiday in Acapulco.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent

Who knew that people used cheap B-movie dialogue in real life? 8-)

I'm with Drake. No doubt Evans was a brilliant producer -- he gets a lifetime pass based on Chinatown alone. But at the end of the day, who wants to read another book about an arrogant prick?

Right or wrong, and certainly uninformed, I'll side with Lois on this one.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    John Drake wrote:
    I've seen the documentary, but I figure I know as much about suntan Bob as I would like to. Chiles had every right to be upset. Imagine having to date a bozo like that, only to find that he's given the part you want to some other actress. And Evans is actually surprised to find out that it is not his amazing personality that attracted her, but his power and money. No wonder his midas touch deserted him. Evans was one of the great producers of the 70's. Chinatown might just be the greatest film ever made. But remember he is also responsible for letting Val "My name is Bruno," Kilmer loose on The Saint.

I hope Chiles does warn her female acting students about lothario film producers and tells them not to put out until they've got the right part, or had that holiday in Acapulco.

Who knew that people used cheap B-movie dialogue in real life? 8-)

I'm with Drake. No doubt Evans was a brilliant producer -- he gets a lifetime pass based on Chinatown alone. But at the end of the day, who wants to read another book about an arrogant prick?

Right or wrong, and certainly uninformed, I'll side with Lois on this one.

Hold on there, gentlemen. Let's take another look at the stated facts before we assume the Hollywood producer (and an admittedly smarmy one at that -- but that's part of what makes him fun to read about) is the bad guy here. There's no evidence here of a pre-existing quid pro quo in which Evans verbally agreed beforehand to trading a part in Gatsby for a piece of Lois (or is that a piece of Gatsby for a part in Lois? ;% I'm so ashamed). Had there been, Lois' wrath would have been justified. But it sounds to me as if Lois offered herself to Bob with merely the unspoken assumption that Bob consults his penis when he casts his films. I guess she was only partly right, but I'd say she got more than she was ever entitled to for the roll -- at least as far as the role is concerned. So if Bob somehow turned the tables on her, I'd say the little golddigger had it coming. (Help -- I can't stop the sexually suggestive puns)
    highhopes wrote:
    I guess she was only partly right, but I'd say she got more than she was ever entitled to for the roll -- at least as far as the role is concerned.

Maybe Evans has a small part, so she only got a small part. It was like for like, if you know what I mean. Nudge, nudge, ;) ;).
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent
    It's an entertaining read, albeit another self-aggrandising memoir where a cad owns up to loads of bad stuff but because he's entertaining and taking us into his confidence, we're supposed to side with him. Doubtless in such memoirs, there's loads of really bad stuff they'll leave out, you only get selected confessions...

He had a run in with Sharon Stone, too. He 'conned' her into appearing in Sliver by making out Geena Davis was going to take the role. Davis had been in the frame for Basic Instinct and Stone gazumped her for it. So this news triggered Stone to do Sliver, a real dog of a film and later she learned of the ruse and put it about that Evans had a young woman chained up in his apartment for weeks on end or something... :o

He's also pretty sour about Francis Ford Coppola and makes out he did massive reedits on Godfather and its sequel to make the films better...
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,363Chief of Staff
    highhopes wrote:
    There's no evidence here of a pre-existing quid pro quo in which Evans verbally agreed beforehand to trading a part in Gatsby for a piece of Lois (or is that a piece of Gatsby for a part in Lois? ;% I'm so ashamed). Had there been, Lois' wrath would have been justified. But it sounds to me as if Lois offered herself to Bob with merely the unspoken assumption that Bob consults his penis when he casts his films. I guess she was only partly right, but I'd say she got more than she was ever entitled to for the roll -- at least as far as the role is concerned. So if Bob somehow turned the tables on her, I'd say the little golddigger had it coming. (Help -- I can't stop the sexually suggestive puns)

:)) :)) :)) ..and I thought my puns were bad :D .
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,723MI6 Agent
    edited December 2007
    John Drake wrote:
    I've seen the documentary, but I figure I know as much about suntan Bob as I would like to. Chiles had every right to be upset. Imagine having to date a bozo like that, only to find that he's given the part you want to some other actress.

Er... oh right; because that's a valid way of getting work! If you try to sleep with someone to get a job, I don't think you've got the moral high ground somehow! :)

Anyway, I'm sure this is all to be taken with a pinch of salt. I can't imagine he's the most reliable witness, but the book sounds like a lot of fun, nevertheless!
    emtiem wrote:
    John Drake wrote:
    I've seen the documentary, but I figure I know as much about suntan Bob as I would like to. Chiles had every right to be upset. Imagine having to date a bozo like that, only to find that he's given the part you want to some other actress.

Er... oh right; because that's a valid way of getting work! If you try to sleep with someone to get a job, I don't think you've got the moral high ground somehow! :)

I was being fairly tongue in cheek. I should have used a smilie. :) But look at Cybill Shepherd, she got the lead in Daisy Miller out of Peter Bogdonavich. So maybe Lois should have aimed for the director instead. :)) Still, she'd obviously heard the old Hollywood joke about the actress who was so dumb she slept with the writer.
    Anyway, I'm sure this is all to be taken with a pinch of salt. I can't imagine he's the most reliable witness, but the book sounds like a lot of fun, nevertheless!

Agreed. I'd trust Evans as far as I could throw Francis Ford Coppola.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,723MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    [
    I was being fairly tongue in cheek. I should have used a smilie. :)

Ah; fair enough- tricky thing, the old tone of voice! :)
    emtiem wrote:
    John Drake wrote:
    [
    I was being fairly tongue in cheek. I should have used a smilie. :)

Ah; fair enough- tricky thing, the old tone of voice! :)

And tone of voice brings us back to Bob. He is without question one of the oiliest men on the planet. He's crude, and there's nothing light or sweet about him. He's the living embodiment of every stereotype of the tough-talking, starlet-preying, self-aggrandizing Hollywood producer. And yet the movies he produced read like a who's who of '70s cinema, both in terms of artistic and financial success. Maybe an ego like Evans' is what it takes to deal with the egos of the folks onscreen or behind the camera. But then again, maybe it's an image as carefully crafted as those of the stars. When you're flat broke and a Hollywood outcast and a star of Jack Nicholson's magnitude buys your house out of bankruptcy and gives it back to you, there has to be something there.
  • actonsteveactonsteve Posts: 299MI6 Agent
    Poor Lois. The Hollywood of the 1970s really was a snakepit wasnt it?