Best books about Bond?

I mentioned in another thread that I will be writing a dissertation about Bond soon and I wondered if anybody could recommend which are the best books to have been written about Bond?

In particular it would be useful to read any book which talks about gender portrayals, racism or ethnic stereotypes, political backgrounds to the movies etc. The entire books don't have to be devoted to this of course but some quotes would be useful.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,386Chief of Staff
    The James Bond Dossier, by Kingsley Amis, touched on most of the themes you mention but it's specific to the novels rather than the movies.

Bond And Beyond, The Political Career Of A Popular Hero by Tony Bennett (no, not the singer) and Janet Woollacott may be more what you're looking for. It was published by Macmillan in 1987. I wouldn't call it the best book to have been written about Bond, but it certainly covers much of the ground you're interested in.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,621Chief of Staff
    The Politics Of James Bond by Jeremy Black and The Man Who Saved Britain by Simon Winder are certainly two books that should be read before you start to write your dissertation.
    YNWA 97
  • Nicko1234Nicko1234 Posts: 74MI6 Agent
    Thanks very much for your suggestions.
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited January 2008
    You might also enjoy Raymond Benson's The James Bond Bedside Companion.This is an in-depth study of both the Fleming novels and most of the motion pictures drawn from them.Excellent either as a source for reference or simply for entertainment.This very readable study features long descriptive essays on the literary 007 and the denizens of his world-covering all 13 of Fleming's novels.Additionally,Benson also goes into extensive detail as he compares and contrasts the EON movies to their respective source material.
    Benson is probably the most knowledgable expert on the literary James Bond alive.For anyone interested in Ian Fleming's 007, The James Bond Bedside Companion is well worth a glance.