WE HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD

Has anyone else beside me fantasized how great it would have been if Frank Sinatra had done the song in OHMSS? I do like the feeling Louis Armstrong brought to the melody, but I still feel that was perfect for Sinatra and think it would have topped the charts! Since Nancy had already done YOLT in the previous film, maybe it didn't even merit the producers' consideration at the time. But Frank doing OHMSS would have been OMG!
terrific!

Comments

• Alan_moreAlan_more UKPosts: 73MI6 Agent
    edited January 2008
    There is no way it could occur.
    Nancy was given YOLT only because Frankie told his friend Cubby he would never do a Bond song.

Now the song was covered by a dozen artists and I would suggest you listen to Vic Damone's version.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6786508&cart=663966265
    A sample of a live version is at:
    http://www.amazon.com/Live-Las-Vegas-Vic-Damone/dp/B000XQ4MGE
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,344Chief of Staff
    As a lifelong Sinatra fan and equally long John Barry fan, I feel obliged to answer this.

The two are giants in their respective fields, but their talents don't merge. The only time the two came together was on Sinatra's 1967 recording of Born Free, which is very average and doesn't bear comparison to Matt Munro's hit.

WHATTITW is a wonderful song and Louis Armstrong sings it to perfection. Other perfectly competent singers (Sammy Davis and, yes, Iggy Pop) have done decent versions as no doubt Ol' Blue Eyes could have done, but for these ears Satchmo did the definitive recording of this beautiful song.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,279MI6 Agent
    Oooh I don't know. I can see why they pitched YOLT to Frank first, it sounds his sort of song. Think of Three Coins In The Fountain and you'll see what I mean. Actually, the similarity between the two melodically might have been made a bit obvious if Frank had sung it, now I think about it.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017