Were U ripped off or did u make a few bucks?

A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
Were U ripped off or did u make a few bucks?

Just saw in the topics threads someone reviewing The Living Daylights - and it jogged my memory how about 3 years ago there was a big hoo haa about The Living Daylights DVD being re-called from stores and not being sold anymore, something to do with Sam Neil's screen test or the fact that the USA had invaded Afgahnistan and 007 was aided by the mujahaddin - any numbr of reasons really.

And the outcome was that serious collectors to complete their sets were paying more than £50 / 60 for a copy.

So Like I said which side of the fence if any did you fall on?

I had just bought the 19 SE DVD Tin set for about £150 at the time so had no worries - but must admit did flirt with the idea of selling the TLD as a single - but overcame the urge - wasn't the same with a piece missing in the overall spine logo !

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,994Quartermasters
    That's interesting; I hadn't heard that...

I'll have to let my brother know...I gave him my previous Bond DVDs when the UEs became available, so he'll have it now...

What was the deal about Sam Neill's screen test? I remember seeing it in the extras back then...is it not in the UE of TLD?? :#

Guess I'll have to take a look...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • cooeycooey Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    Yeah, I remember that. I used to work for a retail store called MVC and I remember when it first went out of print, the demand for it just suddenly went crazy!

What was weird, was when it had sold out obviously that was it, but we still sold the Bond tin that contained the DVD.... we sold a fair few of those too!
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    I always remember knowing that the DVD's were about to get recalled, but I'd seen one hiding in Comet. I went over (not having any money :( ) and hid it behind a shelf. Of course, the next day, I went straight out and bought it :D
  • stumac7stumac7 ScotlandPosts: 295MI6 Agent
    I'm confused

Are you saying that the SE of Living Daylights is worth a fair bit as it has been recalled?

If so why are they selling on ebay for the same price as the other films?
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    edited January 2008
    I think the Sam Neil test was on the SE, then removed, and now is back on the UE. SE's copies with the screen test are now no longer worth anything special since you might as well get the UE with the upgraded quality. My SE had the Neil screen test, but I sold it when I got the UE. I can't say my life was greatly altered by the whole affair.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,750MI6 Agent
    As I remember, it was nothing to do with Sam Neill, just that there was some sort of rights issue as it was exactly 15 years years after release- something had to be negotiated somewhere. I don't think it was anything terribly interesting, just a contract needing signing or something- boring lawyer stuff.
  • bondaholic007bondaholic007 LondonPosts: 878MI6 Agent
    about 1 year ago i got mine and it was hard to find but i got it in the end for £24. very expensive.
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    edited January 2008
    stumac7 wrote:
    I'm confused

Are you saying that the SE of Living Daylights is worth a fair bit as it has been recalled?

If so why are they selling on ebay for the same price as the other films?

Not now Stumac, but about 3/4 years ago when it was recalled from stores, it was being sold for high figures on ebay etc. Although you could proably still obtain it at the time as part of the tin set,

A quick search has found the following for those who were not aware of the situation: (although I am sure there was much more dicsussion about this, the below is all I can currently find)

http://ajb007.co.uk/index.php?topic=11163

http://ajb007.co.uk/index.php?topic=16239