Ashes To Ashes

emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,752MI6 Agent
If you liked Life On Mars you'll love Ashes to Ashes, the 80's set sequel series; at least that's what all the reviewers are saying. It's terrific apparently. It starts at the beginning of February and here's a little clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPG39o124R4

I can't wait for more Gene!

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,770Chief of Staff
    I finally got around to watching Life On Mars a couple of months ago, and I really enjoyed it. Ashes To Ashes has had very mixed reviews though. We'll see.
    YNWA 97
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,752MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Ashes To Ashes has had very mixed reviews though. We'll see.

I've only seen terrific ones so far. Where have you seen bad ones?
    emtiem wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Ashes To Ashes has had very mixed reviews though. We'll see.

I've only seen terrific ones so far. Where have you seen bad ones?

All over the press - and I said "mixed" not "bad".
    YNWA 97
    edited January 2008
    Apologies- I usually take 'very mixed' to mean 'a mix of good reviews and bad reviews', which I didn't think was unreasonable; I stand corrected.
    So far I've only seen good ones, in quite a few places. I've now seen one in the Times, but the reviewer there seemed to object to it being a sequel rather than the show actually being bad. I've got high hopes, and as I've only seen good reviews with just one standoffish one, it seems with good reason!

New long trailer here:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Enn6zc9ug-o&eurl=http://ashestoashestv.blogspot.com/2008/01/second-trailer-already.html
    Looks cracking! :)
    emtiem wrote:
    Apologies- I usually take 'very mixed' to mean 'a mix of good reviews and bad reviews', which I didn't think was unreasonable

An understandable error.

I meant that most reviews mentioned both good points and bad points. Most of the bad points mention that Gene Hunt has now become a 'figure of fun' and that the show doesn't really know what it's trying to be anymore - ie. the comedy has been ramped up too far. As usual, I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it.
    YNWA 97
    Well the Times one I mentioned complained that the gunfight in ep 1 is played for laughs and said that all of the action in LoM was always played straight- which from my memory just isn't true: many of the fight scenes were a kind of triumphant celebration of Sam and Gene beating the bad guys in a pastiche-y way. Not all the time of course - it changed depending on how dramatic each episode was. As the reviewer had only seen the first episode, and the first episode of a series never has the hardest hitting drama as it's got to set the scene (plus we've got to see Alex being taken away from her daughter), I'm not too worried about a scene being played for laughs just yet. Life on Mars was, after all, a very funny series.

I'd be curious if you can remember where you read all these other reviews..? They may be available online.
    emtiem wrote:
    I'd be curious if you can remember where you read all these other reviews..? They may be available online.

All the usual sources - I'm sure if you checked on-line you'd find them all.
    YNWA 97
    Yep- done that: all the sources and papers are very positive except The Times one I mentioned.
    emtiem wrote:
    Yep- done that: all the sources and papers are very positive except The Times one I mentioned.

I know that the review in The Mirror was slightly non-plussed and a few of the weekly magazines said the series could go either way. The general press viewing was of the same opinion - mixed opinions - but you don't expect them to write bad things about it from one episode do you ? Especially when they will all want the 'exclusive' interviews with the cast later on ;)
    YNWA 97
    edited January 2008
    Aha- haven't seen The Mirror's. These are the batch I have come across so far this week:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a85879/cult-spy-ashes-to-ashes-the-verdict.html
    http://blogs.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ianwylie/2008/01/ashes_to_ashes_im_happy_hope_y.html
    http://www.thestage.co.uk/tvtoday/2008/01/ashes_to_ashes_im_happy_hope_youre_happy_too.php
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/article691906.ece
    http://www.tvscoop.tv/2008/01/ashes_to_ashes_2.html
    http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article3193653.ece
    And I've just come across this one (which is a bit mixed): http://msnuktv.spaces.live.com/

So just two out of seven I've seen show anything approaching a cautious (or mixed) vibe. Plus I know a guy who works for SFX (who loved it) who said that he felt the general consensus at the screening was 'very impressed'. I think there's enough there to be allowed to get excited! :) And the trailer looks fab.

Ooh- and I also found this Life On Mars short story from Christmas written by the creator, which is rather fun and contains some classic Gene!
    Part one
    Part two
    Enjoy! :)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,623Chief of Staff
    I didn't catch LoM when it was on TV, but Son Of Barbel bought the series on DVD and I watched the whole thing with him. It's excellent viewing, very addictive, and we're both looking forward to AtA.

As a side-effect, Son has been alerted to the music used in LoM (Bowie, Elton John, etc). He was very far from being around in '73- though I wasn't!- and some of the music was hitting him for the first time. I suspect AtA will follow on from this, though less effectively (music from '82? :o ).
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    (music from '82? :o ).

And whats wrong with that!!! X-(
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    (music from '82? :o ).

And whats wrong with that!!! X-(

Arf! :) Well, I suppose it's wrong because the show is set in 1981... ;)

But I expect they might have a bit of '82 in there too! And good stuff it all is- apparently they even have the real Steve Strange performing in a club at one point (!).
    Ah, 81 is it? I'd heard 82, mea culpa. Wonder if we'll hear Sheena Easton? :)
    Barbel wrote:
    Ah, 81 is it? I'd heard 82, mea culpa. Wonder if we'll hear Sheena Easton? :)

A bit of Morning Train would be lovely :)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,994Quartermasters
    Life on Mars, then Ashes to Ashes...great Bowie titles...

Any chance the next series will be Let's Dance? :D
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Life on Mars, then Ashes to Ashes...great Bowie titles...

Any chance the next series will be Let's Dance? :D

Nah- it'd have to be in another decade, and there wasn't much memorable Bowie in the 90's... ;)
    edited January 2008
    emtiem wrote:
    ...there wasn't much memorable Bowie in the 90's... ;)

I'd have to disagree---the Eighties were his weakest decade, IMO, though ironically his biggest-selling...

Earthling, from '96, is a classic Bowie album..."Seven Years In Tibet" and "I'm Afraid of Americans" being my favourites {[]
    Yeah but, y'know- Little Wonder or something doesn't really compare to Ashes to Ashes or Life on Mars for recognition factor! :)

Mind you, if there was another 80's set one, I'd go for Dance Magic, Dance... :)
    emtiem wrote:
    Yeah but, y'know- Little Wonder or something doesn't really compare to Ashes to Ashes or Life on Mars for recognition factor! :)

Well...you've got me there {[] I don't know anything (at all) about these shows---but I was intrigued by their choice of titles...even if he never gets a Bond theme song, apparently the Thin White Duke still commands a bit of respect B-)
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited February 2008
    I have to say I really rather enjoyed the first episode. Yes, I admit that the gun fight was a tad on the 'OTT'-ish side and more akin to a Cockney Miami Vice type set... BUT, all in it was a good romp with a good dose of the original Life On Mars spirit and tied in rather well. Keeley Hawes seems very promising as Alex Drake.

Was also a fantastic trip down memory lane! Music, fashion, FYEO poster in the station ;), general ambience and cars ...-... Mk3 Cortinas and Mk2 Granadas when police cars were all 'jam sandwich', not to mention the car that started my love affair with Audi and probably the reason I own one today.

It's what I grew up in and takes me back to the happy days :)
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Son Of BarbelSon Of Barbel Posts: 227MI6 Agent
    I loved Ashes To Ashes as I have been waiting a while after watching both series' of Life On Mars on DvD I hope that the BBC keeps up the good work as so much rubbish is usually on.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    I really enjoyed the first episode. I was born in 75, so while I was aware of many of the cultural references in Life on Mars I had no feelings of nostalgia for them. However I can remember 1981 and this added another layer of enjoyment to the show. Zippy and George were actually quite frightening when they turned up at the police station and told Alex she'd never go home.
    I thought the first episode was very 'ho-hum'. There were some nice bits here and there, but it suffered from 'first-episode-setting-the-scene-syndrome' - but I can't really complain about that :))

The biggest 'no-no' was Gene Hunt drinking red wine - I mean X-(
    YNWA 97
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    I have to say I really rather enjoyed the first episode. Yes, I admit that the gun fight was a tad on the 'OTT'-ish side and more akin to a Cockney Miami Vice type set...

I think it was supposed to be a bit OTT, and a homage to Miami Vice (although MV started in 84) but who, really, without looking it up can remember? I loved the 80's and the music in AtA really took me back to my teenage years.

I thought Keeley was FANTASTIC, but Gene's lines seemed a bit "forced", however, it was only episode 1, and what with the following LoM had, they were always up against it to deliver. I think it's going to be a great series, and roll on next Thurs! ;)
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Hey, it was the 80s! :))
    unitedkingdom.png
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I thought the first episode was very 'ho-hum'. There were some nice bits here and there, but it suffered from 'first-episode-setting-the-scene-syndrome' - but I can't really complain about that

My feelings exactly; still, the scene's been set and now they can get on with things. (Loved the FYEO poster- it seemed to have an autograph on it?)
    edited February 2008
    Sir Miles wrote:

Shaddap-a your face ;)

80's or not, Hunt is NOT a red wine drinker, he'd rail against the Yuppie set and all they stood for.

Or, on a serious note, does Hunt 'change' for each different person that's in a coma ? Eg. Tyler had a 70's-style Gene Hunt and Drake gets an 80's version. That's why I didn't mind the OTT speedboat/shootout too much - because it's Drake's 'perceived' 80's we are in. Or does it just make 'better' telly ? :))
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Shaddap-a your face ;)

I'm waiting for a filofax and a mobile phone the size of a brick to appear :))

( though admittedly they were a bit further down the road than 1981)

As for the red wine (probably a cheap chianti), I can live with that.It's when he turns up ala Del Boy holding a cocktail with an umbrella in it I'll object :))

I really enjoyed the first episode.I agree that it was a bit 'setting the scenish' but that was inevitable. The 80's were my time. Roll on next week.