Plot details from Empire

emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,721MI6 Agent
This sounds rather nice:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=21851
the plot centres on an attempted coup in a South American country. Maurice Green (Mathieu Amalric) wants to control one of the world's most important natural resources* and to aid in this he makes a deal with an exiled South American general to get him back into power.

Olga Kurylenko's character, Camille, is half Ukrainian and half South American. Gemma Arterton's character, Agent Fields, is an MI6 agent working at the British consulate in Bolivia. Shooting will take place in Panama and Chile.

Yum yum. Click for a quote from the baddie.

Comments

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    It does sound great. However I hope the natural resource isn't oil. It's been done before and IMO isn't particularly exotic.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,721MI6 Agent
    Nice work on finding a negative there, Dan! :)
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Only 3 movies after TWINE, I doubt they'd use oil again.
    edited January 2008
    emtiem wrote:
    :# emtium, it wasn't about finding a negative. I was simply noting that as the identity of the natural resource is ambiguous, I hope it isn't oil, which is one of the possibilities suggested by Empire.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    I'll come up with a negative. I really hope the villian isn't TOO mundane. I kinda like Bond villians to be larger than life and/or have some kind of physical tic.
  • VirgilVirgil Posts: 99MI6 Agent
    I would say the "natural resource" they refer to is the Panama canal. Anyone agrees?
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,721MI6 Agent
    Virgil wrote:
    I would say the "natural resource" they refer to is the Panama canal. Anyone agrees?

That is what I thought, but I'm not sure it's natural, is it?
  • ATPrescottATPrescott Posts: 39MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    Virgil wrote:

That is what I thought, but I'm not sure it's natural, is it?

The very least it is semi-natural. Taking over the canal might make an intresting scheme anyways.
  • Apocrypha23Apocrypha23 Posts: 177MI6 Agent
    South America? Natural Resource? It's COFFEE!!! Yeah, gotta be coffee :)
  • ATPrescottATPrescott Posts: 39MI6 Agent
    It's gonna be about taking over Argentine cattle and controlling the meat-eaters food supplies. :p
    Or the copper of Chile. :#
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent

I don't know about anyone else but if a super villian does ANYTHING to threaten the world coffee supply he better hope Bond gets hold of him before me! :p
  • cpoulos62cpoulos62 Station UPosts: 451MI6 Agent
    words wrote:

I don't know about anyone else but if a super villian does ANYTHING to threaten the world coffee supply he better hope Bond gets hold of him before me! :p

Classic !
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    ATPrescott wrote:
    It's gonna be about taking over Argentine cattle and controlling the meat-eaters food supplies. :p

"Now I am at that top of the food chain, Mr. Bond. You, on the other hand, will soon be at the bottom! MUWAHAHAHA!" :p
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    Let's think this through: South America? Natural resources? Possible military coup? There is only one possible answer:

Heroin-flavored bananas :p
  • yodboy007yodboy007 McMinn CountyPosts: 129MI6 Agent
    edited January 2008
    This plot sounds like the best one since Goldeneye. I also hope the natural resource is not oil. This film better not get all political on us. That would not be good at all. I watch 007 films to be entertained, not to get a political science lecture. I have enough of those this semester alone!
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I'm just wondering, will there be a character called only The Governor, who narrates the entire movie while Bond listens?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • VirgilVirgil Posts: 99MI6 Agent
    I would suggest Bond goes to a taylor while in Panama to get a new suit, who happens to have lots of contacts in the government over there, and Bond uses him to infiltrate the organization that supports the coup to control Panama, the canal, and thus international trade...
  • actonsteveactonsteve Posts: 299MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    :# emtium, it wasn't about finding a negative. I was simply noting that as the identity of the natural resource is ambiguous, I hope it isn't oil, which is one of the possibilities suggested by Empire.

What you mean like Gustav Graves and his terrifying sleeping disorder.

Give us a good script, a good actor and a good villain. It worked with Le Chiffre.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Natural resources in South America. Hmmm...
    -- Oil?
    -- Coffee?
    -- Coca?
    -- Malbec?
    -- Lionel Messi?
    -- Shakira?
    :D
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    I do hope we get the traditonal Gun Barrel walk at the begining.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Natural resources in South America. Hmmm...
    -- Oil?
    -- Coffee?
    -- Coca?
    -- Malbec?
    -- Lionel Messi?
    -- Shakira?

Can a mineral resource be considered a natural resource? If so, I'm going to go with Gold being the Natural Resource they talk about in the plot synopsis.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    Shakira would be a great natural resource, but sadly her breasts are small and humble. They're not mistaken for mountains.

Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Shakira would be a great natural resource, but sadly her breasts are small and humble. They're not mistaken for mountains.

But, you know, her hips don't lie. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    actonsteve wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    What you mean like Gustav Graves and his terrifying sleeping disorder.
    What does Graves have to do with natural resources? ?:) Unless you're referring to diamonds which has been done so many times, I think they should be permanently retired from films. ;)
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited January 2008
    Noticeably, the synopsis only refers to "a South American country", it does not give which country. We know filming will be taking place in Bolivia and Panama, but no one country has been confirmed as a location in the film (unlike Austria and Italy).

I think for political sensitivity we're going to get another Isthmus or Nambutu; fictional countries that are stereotypical of the regions' culture and political set-up.

Filming in Bolivia would be a tad cheeky, and I can't imagine it going down well, if they then portray it as rife with corruption and coup-prone.

I can imagine it being a Bolivian-Venezuelan mix, with the General being lined up as leader a sort of Evo Morales/Hugo Chavez/Ollanta Humala type figure as seems de rigueur in that part of the world these days.

If that is the case, or indeed it is Bolivia, then it's a wealth of natural resources. Bolivia not only has the second largest natural gas field on the continent outside Venezuela, but is also just beginning to exploit it's huge reserves of iron and magnesium, by far and away the world's largest depository of the metals. You've also got gold, yep. Tin, gold and salt it's also rich in.

You could look at a company like Citgo, the Venezuelan state gas company, and the considerable influence it weilds in it's market in the United States, and see an example of how to influence or manipluate an ecomony (of scale).
    unitedkingdom.png
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Noticeably, the synopsis only refers to "a South American country", it does not give which country. We know filming will be taking place in Bolivia and Panama, but no one country has been confirmed as a location in the film (unlike Austria and Italy).

I think for political sensitivity we're going to get another Isthmus or Nambutu; fictional countries that are stereotypical of the regions' culture and political set-up.

Filming in Bolivia would be a tad cheeky, and I can't imagine it going down well, if they then portray it as rife with corruption and coup-prone.

I can imagine it being a Bolivian-Venezuelan mix, with the General being lined up as leader a sort of Evo Morales/Hugo Chavez/Ollanta Humala type figure as seems de rigueur in that part of the world these days.

If that is the case, or indeed it is Bolivia, then it's a wealth of natural resources. Bolivia not only has the second largest natural gas field on the continent outside Venezuela, but is also just beginning to exploit it's huge reserves of iron and magnesium, by far and away the world's largest depository of the metals. You've also got gold, yep. Tin, gold and salt it's also rich in.

You could look at a company like Citgo, the Venezuelan state gas company, and the considerable influence it weilds in it's market in the United States, and see an example of how to influence or manipluate an ecomony (of scale).

Great points, M5. It's a good choice as a general location for all those reasons---a fertile mission theatre for 007 :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    This courtesy of CBn:

Click Here for Article

"When asked by reporters if she [Gemma Arterton] could talk about the plot of Quantum of Solace, the Bond girl gave little away apart from saying her character, Agent Fields, meets 007 in Bolivia, and that there is 'a lot of oil' involved."

Could this be the natural resource that Mr. Greene is seeking to control?

Arterton previously mentioned that her character 'sort of comes to a sticky end.'

Hmm, perhaps she drowns in said "oil." :v
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
    Maybe she's talking about massage oil! ;)
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    edited January 2008
    darenhat wrote:
    Maybe she's talking about massage oil! ;)

austin-powers.JPG"OH BEHAVE!"

I know where your mind's at Mr. Hat!

...notTHAT Mr. Hat!
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
    Well at least I didn't dwell on the 'coming to a sticky end' comment. ;%