Bill Tanner

emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,723MI6 Agent
According to this report on the BBC (may be slightly spoilery)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7208410.stm
Bill Tanner is back, and played by Rory Kinnear.

Plus there's lots of other juicy stuff too, including a bit more on the opening action sequence.

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    He bears a strong resemblance to his father, the late great Roy Kinnear, which means Tanner won't be the athletic-looking man described in the books. (To be fair, neither was Michael Kitchen.) I just hope he's played as Bond's best friend in the service, and not as a comic foil.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,723MI6 Agent
    I don't think the films will be doing characters who are just there for comedy- judging by CR everyone's a bit more three dimensional. As long they at least have Bond call him 'Bill' rather than 'Tanner' I'll be happy (although Michael Kitchen was rather wonderful).

But if it really is just 'an hour after' CR- where's Villiers? In the toilet? :)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    emtiem wrote:
    But if it really is just 'an hour after' CR- where's Villiers? In the toilet? :)

:)) Good question...

I'm glad to see Tanner return, and I share Hardy's hope that he's substantative. Tanner is a good way to advance plot points and camouflage otherwise 'on-the-nose' exposition.

It looks as if the series will be picking up the traditional accoutrements as it progresses through Craig's tenure: Tanner in this one, perhaps Moneypenny in the next.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    So where are these film clips (the fight scene, meeting with M) that I keep hearing about? Are they available for viewing anywhere?
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,806MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:

Well, Villiers is M's personal assistant and Tanner is Chief of Staff, I think. They have different jobs, Entimem!
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

Well, Villiers is M's personal assistant and Tanner is Chief of Staff, I think. They have different jobs, Entimem!

Emtiem might have been reffering to one of the later paragraphs where it says something about M's assistant, Tanner.

Glad to see this character return! {[]

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
    Given that Bond is supposed to be working through his anger and grief after Vesper's death, it would be interesting to see another Fleming "regular" make an appearance in this film--the psychologist Sir James Molony. But are the filmmakers willing to show Bond in therapy?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:
    But are the filmmakers willing to show Bond in therapy?

I suppose it depends on how entertaining it is. Characters like Molony and May the housekeeper are nice Fleming originals, but I'm not convinced that any scenes that they would appear in are ones I'm interested in seeing in a blockbuster action thriller.
    edited January 2008
    I sort-of had my tongue in my cheek when I mentioned Bond in therapy. But I believe Molony could work in the film. Imagine M in her office, and Molony comes in.

"Have you examined him?" she'd ask.

"I have," he'd reply. "And although 007 shows clear signs of (insert psychobabble here), I think the worst thing you could do is chain him to a desk for six months. Send him out in the field--the man needs action and stimulation."

Cut to Bond in bed with a psychiatric nurse. . .

Who needs Haggis when ya got me? :D
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Heh! That's rather fun; I'd buy that! :)