QoS Scalextric

Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
This in the business section of the BBC News website this afternoon...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7212712.stm

Toymaker Hornby is betting on the latest James Bond film and Shaun the Sheep series to drive sales.

The group said it had secured licences to make a range of products based on the two characters.

The model railway maker, also known for its Scalextric model racing cars, said it had enjoyed "significant growth" in the pre-Christmas trading period.

Sales growth was also strong in Europe, but was less than expected because of delays with new product lines.

"A strong finish to 2007 shows once again that Hornby is extremely resilient in times of economic uncertainty," said chairman Neil Johnson.

Hornby said it expected orders and sales for the next three months to be greater than the same period last year.

The firm, based in the seaside town of Margate, said that sales of its Scalextric racing cars got a boost from a range based on the McLaren Formula 1 team and star driver Lewis Hamilton.

A forthcoming Scalextric set will be based on the new James Bond movie, Quantum of Solace, that is due out in November.

It will feature Bond's Aston Martin and an Alfa Romeo as the chase car.

Hornby said its revitalised Airfix model range would also lead to further sales growth.

It has already begun producing models based on the hit TV series Doctor Who and has secured the licence for a Shaun the Sheep kit, expected in the summer.

Hornby bought the Airfix model kit brand, famous for its detailed reproductions of World War II planes, in November 2006.
unitedkingdom.png

Comments

• scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    This is great news -so does this mean Carerra will not be producing another bond slot racing set?

I hope there will be some airfix models too. :)
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,768MI6 Agent
    edited January 2008
    Yeah; this has been seen elsewhere. Apparently it's an Alfa 159, which is a bit confusing really. I thought the Ford deal was still running- wouldn't they have preferred a Jag XF if it's a car that size?
  • Apocrypha23Apocrypha23 Posts: 177MI6 Agent
    I'm sure Ford would have preferred it, but if it's a chase through an Italian village the scene would just scream for an Italian sports car. I think a Ferarri or Lambourgini would be a little too Mission: Impossible. The Alfa will be just the thing I think.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,768MI6 Agent
    I agree- the Alfa's a stunning and believable car for it, but I thought the Ford deal meant that they had to feature Ford group cars .The Aston seems to be an exception -Ford remain a shareholder; perhaps that's enough; perhaps the producers put a special clause in there regarding Aston; perhaps the deal isn't as exclusive as we thought. Bit of a funny one, but the Alfa is lovely.
  • GyrojetGyrojet Posts: 23MI6 Agent
    Hope they reproduce the original 1967 set as a limited edition.
  • Remmert007Remmert007 Posts: 232MI6 Agent
    edited February 2008
    As an owner of a classic Alfa Romeo I am very excited to see Alfa back in a Bond movie. Second appearance since Octopussy's GTV6. The 159 is a great car and I think it might have something to do with Alfa's plans to make a come-back in the United States. The other part of that plan is the introduction of the stunning 8C Competizione.
    BOND LIFESTYLE
    JamesBondLifestyle.com | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter

You only live once, live like Bond!