Mathieu Amalric extract from Sunday Times Culture Magazine

scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
In Yesterday's Sunday Times Magazine dated January 27th 2008 there was an interview with Mathieu Amalric - mainly about his latest film The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

Here is the snippet he has to say about taking on the role of the villain:

The latest was an offer to be the next Bond villain, which he immediately accepted. It is not because he wants to be famous. Far from it. "Spending two days in a hotel doing interviews is not my goal. No, I could be with my kids. I could be making love. That's real life. Surprising my girlfriend, going to Lisbon for two days, you know, that's life. But I couldn't resist it. My two boys, who are 8 and 10 - I can't tell them one day that I refused to be a villain in a Bond movie." Besides he has always enjoyed the films, and confesses that since the age of 18, he has used 0007 as a Pin number. He reels off a list of actors who have been Bond villains before: "Just the best actors in the world."
Before accepting the role, he asked veteran actor Michael Lonsdale, who played villainous Sir Hugo Drax in Moonraker, how it affected his career. "It didn't change his life," Amalric says. He adds that the film is "very dark" and the role extremely physical -anything might seem physical after playing Bauby - because of a big fight with Bond at the end. "I'll have to be in shape for it." he says. Then, perhaps he might be able to go back to directing. At least until another irrestible role comes along.

(Interview conducted by Matthew Cambell for Sunday Times Culture Magazine.)

Comments

• John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    :
    I could be making love.
    Yup, he's French. :))
    Besides he has always enjoyed the films, and confesses that since the age of 18, he has used 0007 as a Pin number.

Did he just give out his Pin Number in The Sunday Times? :))
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    edited January 2008
    He adds that the film is "very dark".
    That sounds good.

Thanks for digging up the extract sc1. I'm only really aware of Amalric through Munich—although I've heard good things from a friend about Le Scaphandre et le Papillon, released in the UK in February I think—however I like what he has to say about Quantum of Solace. And as John Drake infers, he does come across as very French, which can only be a good thing!
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent
    Check out his picture on

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=5825

Rings any bells? It's Frau Farbissina!
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    :
    I could be making love.
    Yup, he's French. :))
    Besides he has always enjoyed the films, and confesses that since the age of 18, he has used 0007 as a Pin number.

Did he just give out his Pin Number in The Sunday Times? :))

too bad you don't know to what or anything else