Who was the most 'equal to Bond'..?

wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
Hearing yet another Bond girl talk up her part 'not like any previous Bond girl (blah, blah)' got me thinking, which Bond girl was genuinely closest to being Bond's equal.

I'm thinking Holly Goodhead in Moonraker. An Agent herself, Intelligent, witty and could fight. Ultimately you have to say that Bond really couldn't have completed this mission without her (unless he could fly a shuttle and just wasn't letting on..).

What do you think?

Comments

• Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    Yes, Holly did seem to be similar in some ways to Bond (almost tomboy like! :D) And hell no could she fight but she was a looker for sure! :D ;%

I also think Melina Havelock, Pussy Galore and Pam Bouvier were very sporty like and did resemble Bond to some extent.
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Porkchop ExpressPosts: 19MI6 Agent
    edited January 2008
    I'd go with Pam Bouvier. She balanced capable with sexy very well and the writers didn't attempt to make her a female Bond. The idea of having more than one super-spy, male or female, is ludicrous and not why anyone wants to see a Bond film. In order to maintain a narrative with Bond as the hero, everyone else must be mere mortals.
    This is gonna take crackerjack timing...
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    To be honest, I've never found any of the Bond girls (i.e., the heroines) to be Bond's "equals." No matter how tough they are, they always yield to Bond in the end. I can't imagine Bond yielding to anyone (well, despite OHMSS and CR). I think the only female character to really be a kind of female Bond is a villainess--Fiona Volpe. Consider: incredibly attractive, strong sense of style in her clothing, likes to drive fast, is handy with a gun, is a paid assassin, and both loves sex and uses it to get what she wants. I wouldn't even be surprised if her drink of choice is a vodka martini!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Porkchop ExpressPosts: 19MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    I think the only female character to really be a kind of female Bond is a villainess--Fiona Volpe.
    She's the only other female that occurred to me too, but I disqualified her since she was a villain. I would say that among the female villains she is closest to being his peer. The "player on the other side" as it were.
    This is gonna take crackerjack timing...
  • yodboy007yodboy007 McMinn CountyPosts: 129MI6 Agent
    edited January 2008
    I am going to have to agree with Hardbyboy on this one. Had that bum with the alcohol not come by right as one of the henchman lit a cigarette, 007 may not have escaped from her and her goons. Her death scene is one of the most memorable in the series. And as Sean said in DAF, read-heads have bad tempers!

The only other one I can think of would be Xenia Onnatop. Most would say XXX from TSWLM, but she was just too small and would not make in in many fights with bigger henchman or a man like 007. Xenia, on the other hand, could have killed almost anyone with her "thighs of steel" and also knew how to fight. Alec obviously taught her well and probably would have been a better mentor than anyone from SPECTRE or the KGB. She was a tall and threatening woman, but at the same time somehow also strangely attractive.
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    To be honest, I've never found any of the Bond girls (i.e., the heroines) to be Bond's "equals." No matter how tough they are, they always yield to Bond in the end. I can't imagine Bond yielding to anyone (well, despite OHMSS and CR). I think the only female character to really be a kind of female Bond is a villainess--Fiona Volpe. Consider: incredibly attractive, strong sense of style in her clothing, likes to drive fast, is handy with a gun, is a paid assassin, and both loves sex and uses it to get what she wants. I wouldn't even be surprised if her drink of choice is a vodka martini!

Actually, that is a good one. She doesn't appear to be trying to be tough and cold, it just comes naturally to her.
  • Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    I would say Wai Lin. Martial arts expert, good with guns, knows where and when to use her own gadgets, resourceful and intelligent. A valuable ally for Bond.
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
  • SB_DiamondSB_Diamond North Miami Beach, FLPosts: 126MI6 Agent
    yodboy007 wrote:
    I am going to have to agree with Hardbyboy on this one. Had that bum with the alcohol not come by right as one of the henchman lit a cigarette, 007 may not have escaped from her and her goons. Her death scene is one of the most memorable in the series. And as Sean said in DAF, read-heads have bad tempers!

The only other one I can think of would be Xenia Onnatop. Most would say XXX from TSWLM, but she was just too small and would not make in in many fights with bigger henchman or a man like 007. Xenia, on the other hand, could have killed almost anyone with her "thighs of steel" and also knew how to fight. Alec obviously taught her well and probably would have been a better mentor than anyone from SPECTRE or the KGB. She was a tall and threatening woman, but at the same time somehow also strangely attractive.

I agree about Onnatop, she also had just the right amount of psychopathness about her too that we hadn't previously seen before in a villainess. And it was Famke freakin' Jensen, need I say more? :p
    *~Orbis Non Sufficit~*