friends loss unveils a fine find.

Hi this is my first post and gotta say the site looks cool. the reason for me hunting you down is a close friend of mine has come accross an old original poster from "the man with the golden gun". it was his brothers who sadly died two weeks ago. he was going to bin the poster that is framed, but i managed to rescue it from a fate of impending fire. the poster itself i havnt seen before and after searching i havnt seen it on here either. it has the goled gun broke down into its seperate parts and it has a descrition of what each part does. the poster tells us that the film is coming to cinemas at christmas 1974 and is predominantly black with the gold gun parts and yellow and green writing. now the good bit. its signed in gold by gold old scaramanga himself christopher lee. B-)
my pal doesnt want it and was wondering what it is worth, the only reason he isnt putting it in storage is he has to cover the £4000 funeral bill he has just had to pay. also he has said that he would like it to go to somebody else who is a bond fan like his brother was.

Comments

• Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    edited February 2008
    Well, that particular poster is very collectible if genuine. It's not in the same league as Connery era posters but the value of Moore era posters are good and will steadily rise over time. The question is, is it an original poster or a re-print? Is it a US poster, or British, or some other country? Is the size 27"x41"?

These questions are important. If it's a US one sheet the size should be 27"x41". If it's any smaller, it's a reprint with very little value. Todays US one sheets have shrunk to 27"x40" but in that era they were 27"x41". Also, is the poster folded? All US one sheets were folded until the early 80's. If you don't see fold lines, it's probably a reprint with very little value. As to the signature, it means relatively little if you don't have proof of the signature. Also, to me, signing an original movie poster decreases the value of the poster. It's a cheap way to try to give value to a re-print.

Some people will only trust signatures if they get it themselves in person, others only if they purchase from a reputable dealer. There are of course other sizes of movie campaign posters that are genuine, but you have not specified.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.