'Just a name. That's all I'm after.'

Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,285MI6 Agent
Now one of the things that came to bother me about the pts of TWINE is how Bond basically shoots up a load of Swiss bankers for not breaking client confidentially. Not really cricket, is it?

But have I got this wrong? Are they not really Swiss bankers, but thugs undercover? According to one site, this is the case. Bond's cool appraising glance at cigar girl is meant to be him noticing that's she's not Swiss.

See here:

http://swiss-bank-accounts.com/e/fiction/world-is-not-enough/index.html
"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Comments

• Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    Now one of the things that came to bother me about the pts of TWINE is how Bond basically shoots up a load of Swiss bankers for not breaking client confidentially. Not really cricket, is it?

But have I got this wrong? Are they not really Swiss bankers, but thugs undercover?

First of all, I think you just answered your own question. :D

Secondly, think about this: If a group of men outnumbered and threatened you with guns while you were simply sitting down, and you only had your own gun and an explosive to use, wouldn't you do the same thing? 8-)
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,285MI6 Agent
    Eh? So they're not actually Swiss bankers then? So why does Bond jibe about Swiss bankers in the scene?

And it's Bond who starts the aggression, by saying "I am giving you the chance to walk out with your life." Pretty threatening words, try saying that in a bank and see if security don't come running.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Eh? So they're not actually Swiss bankers then? So why does Bond jibe about Swiss bankers in the scene?

And it's Bond who starts the aggression, by saying "I am giving you the chance to walk out with your life." Pretty threatening words, try saying that in a bank and see if security don't come running.

I think Bond is actually responding to one of the bankers saying they were giving him a chance -- I forget the exact exchange. Whether or not they were Swiss, or worked in a bank, they did something that displeased her Majesty's government, which felt it necessary to dispatch James Bond to settle accounts.

One of the better PTSs, I think, although they should have left it at Bond's escape out the window, in my view.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    highhopes wrote:
    One of the better PTSs, I think, although they should have left it at Bond's escape out the window, in my view.

I agree. They should have cut to the titles after Bond gave those people on the street that smug "Yes, I did just drop forty feet from that window up there" look... :007)

Once the Q boat was launched through the outer wall of MI6 Headquarters, :# they began to lose me...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • cbdouble07cbdouble07 Posts: 132MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:

Agreed. The prolonged teaser was just one misstep in a film that was plagued by many and never realized its full potential.