The bigger "news" box

Kudos for increasing that feature - the main thing that keeps me over at CBN at times when I should be here (of course, as soon as anything needs discussing, I return to the right place!), is the fact that most Bond news is broken there, in plain letters, on the homepage.

I think this is a nice opportunity for us to 'up our game' so to speak, and make sure that news reaches AJB's homepage a little quicker. Whilst the conversation (and dare I say, the personalities) far outshine any online counterparts, our ability to record the news has perhaps lacked.

I'm looking forward to logging onto AJB, and discovering something new :D

Comments

• SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
    That's the idea, to get back in the game! You will even be able to help soon.

The system is still being tweaked so don't expect immediate changes overnight, it will be easier for people (other than myself) to manage the news from now on, thus making it more fluid and dynamic.

I will properly announce the system tomorrow once I've ironed out a few issues. In the meantime if you notice any errors or have any suggestions please let me know.
    Simon
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    Hey Si, when is the CR forum leaving us because it's been out for over a year now and there is now much more buzz about Quantum of Solace instead?
    207qoznfl4.gif
    It's in discussion at the moment, but it will probably be removed very shortly.
    Simon
  • bondaholic007bondaholic007 LondonPosts: 878MI6 Agent
    I think it seems ok, But further down to get to the Forums.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    edited February 2008
    I think it seems ok, But further down to get to the Forums.

I agree. I'm not complaing about it, but, is there a way we can have an option to hide the box, and have our "cookies" remember this hide feature when we return to the forums?

*Edit. When I say hide, I mean just the box, not the headline to the box. We can also have the option to unhide it if we so choose.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    It's a possibility, I need to see how it all works out, but yes I will bear everyones suggestions in mind.

The key changes are with the system itself not necessrily the way it's displayed so I am still working on it.
    Simon
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Si, take this for what it's worth (perhaps nothing!)...I come here solely for the forums, so to me the news items are a distraction. This makes me a bit of a "one-note" member and probably in the minority, but I thought I would throw it out there anyway. This is not -- I repeat, NOT -- a complaint. {[]
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited February 2008
    Hey Si, when is the CR forum leaving us because it's been out for over a year now and there is now much more buzz about Quantum of Solace instead?
    Can I request that you not get rid of the CR forum just yet, and perhaps even wait until QOS has been released? Yes, it's rarely used, but CR is still the latest Bond film. I don't think it has outlived its usefulness just yet. (Plus, I'm yet to post my review. :)))
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Si, take this for what it's worth (perhaps nothing!)...I come here solely for the forums, so to me the news items are a distraction. This makes me a bit of a "one-note" member and probably in the minority, but I thought I would throw it out there anyway. This is not -- I repeat, NOT -- a complaint. {[]
    I agree with this (so Sir Hill, you are not alone :D) as I too come here primarily for the forums. I think the news feature is a great idea Si, but I find its size to be a little bit of a distraction. As I said, though, the news feature is terrific; especially since it may ensure that some members visit here more often. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    If you don't mind I will wait and make various changes in a day or two and just see how it pans out.

I appreciate all your comments and obviously want to make the the site as you want it! So keep them coming if you feel strongly either way.
    Simon
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    I agree with Hilly about the news box but all change I suppose. Any chance of limiting the CR thing to reviews or something, ie 'this is how it seemed to us a year ago' sort of thing? Plus some will be watching CR perhaps afresh as it ties in with QoS.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    edited February 2008
    How come the favourite films feature isn't working? (Or is it just my computer) Because I'd like to renew it for the umpteenth time!

P.S.
    500 POSTS!!!
    207qoznfl4.gif
    Sweepy, I didn't know it wasn't working so I'm fixing it now. Although I don't know what's wrong!

As for the CR forum no fate has been decided as yet, I may just stop people being able to post in it and leave it there for longer.

The news box will be shrinking again I just need the time to do it, so if you can bear with it for now please do so!
    Simon
    How come the favourite films feature isn't working?

It's now working, sorry about that, I'm not sure why it stopped but it's fine now.
    Simon
  • 00-Agent00-Agent CaliforniaPosts: 453MI6 Agent
    edited February 2008
    I am not sure if this is related to the change to the bigger news box but on the same day that the bigger news box showed up the following message appeared above the list of topics when I clicked on the "Today's Posts".

Message Removed - Si

Am I the only one who gets this? It shows up were I would normally see a picture/link to one of the articles. (If my memory is correct). I get it on page one only, not page two...
    "A blunt instrument wielded by a Government department. Hard, ruthless, sardonic, fatalistic. He likes gambling, golf, fast motor cars. All his movements are relaxed and economical". Ian Fleming
    You aren't the only one but one of only two people to report it so I thank you very much. I have now fixed it, I hope (please get back to me if not!).

I really do appreciate people spotting things like this, I am just human after all! (All be it with devious super villian ideas!) ;) Even if you think I won't care, just drop me a PM or an email.

Thanks
    Simon
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Liking the new green headers!

Will they be alternating over time? Like, switching to the yellow Connery one (Si's avatar) and such-like? :)
    They are currently designed to alternate with the graphics at the top. I.e one a month, but it's a bit of an experiment as I am not 100% sold on the idea!

I was fiddling though and thought I'd give it a try.

As you will notice the news box has shrunk again and the news has been moved to the side.

I've also added the Quantum of Solace countdown to release in the relevant forums. It will get moved tot he home page nearer to the time.

As always comments etc. I'm always listening!
    Simon
    edited February 2008
    Si, I love the splash of colour that is now decorating the site! {[] I think that using green to separate the different areas is extremely helpful. :D BTW, if you do change the colur, how about adopting a nice shade of red?
    After all the Bond pictures have made their debuts, will each of the pictures have a space on the main page i.e. one picture for the Off topic forum, one for the literature forum, one pic up top etc.....?
    Yep I would of thought so, that's my plan anyway. I may start using them soon, I'll see what the reaction is!
    Simon
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,330Chief of Staff
    I like the Moore portrait; very Bondian.
    Barbel wrote:

Same here. darenhat, you've done an awesome job with these photos. Thanks for taking the time to make them. It's a great addition to an already great site.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Mr Martini wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

Same here. darenhat, you've done an awesome job with these photos. Thanks for taking the time to make them. It's a great addition to an already great site.

Thanks, guys! SiCo deserves a lot of credit, too, as he did a lot of work adding to the graphics to make them function here at the site.

{[]
  • GeorgiboyGeorgiboy Posts: 632MI6 Agent
    The site looks great and I love being able to use the portraits as our avatars. Great job darenhat and SiCo. {[]
  • bondaholic007bondaholic007 LondonPosts: 878MI6 Agent
    On the mainpage the news has 1 fleming avatar
    will the news have a little avatar for them all like on mi6, cbn ?

If the new is updated more and had avatars then i would have no need to go on them sites?