Goldfinger Attempted Assassination Question

Hi,

When Tilly Masterson tries to kill Goldfinger in Switzerland with the one rifle shot but almost kills JB by mistake, why does Odd Job then smirk before getting back in the car since he wouldn't of known what was going on would he and wouldn't there be more panic if you had just heard a shot or possibly been shot at !?

It's almost like he and Goldfinger knew it was going to happen and knew that she would miss almost hitting Bond !?

Cheers,

The G.

Comments

• Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    edited February 2008
    Good question!

I always wondered about that scene too.

Maybe Oddjob smirked because she missed?
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,285MI6 Agent
    I think when we watch it we're meant to suppose that the sniper has been set up by Goldfinger and Oddjob to get Bond, like it's a warning shot. (We don't know who Tilly is at that point.) So he could be smirking at Bond's discomfort, or just to be inscrutable.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    It's a good question. Oddjob's reaction could be because Goldfinger has been a target before--he is, after all, filthy rich and has a long, long enemies list. The smirk could be saying, "Another failed attempt." Just my guess, anyway.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    My take on that scene is that Goldfinger and Oddjob were not aware of the assassination attempt, but they were aware that Bond was following them. There was a silencer on the rifle, if I recall correctly. I thought Bond only became aware of it because he saw the dust kicked up by the bullet when it struck the ground at his feet.

I the "smirk," if it had any special meaning at all, was that they were aware Bond was following them.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    'Fraid there was no silencer, HH--the shot is loud and there's even an echo.
    Vox clamantis in deserto