On Drink

Apocrypha23Apocrypha23 Posts: 177MI6 Agent
Conjecture time. In CR we first saw Bond order "The Vesper". As the rebooted series continues, do you think this will continue as Bond's signature drink, will it revert back to the abreviated vodka martini shaken not stirred, or will little or nothing be made of his beverage selection? Will he just resume drinking a non-descript amber liquid on the rocks as most cinematic drinkers do?

Comments

• StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    The Vodka Martini is part and parcel of the Bond way. Just like the Aston Martin, the famous line (Bond, James Bond), the glamourous lifestyle Walther etc etc. To get rid of it would be a huge mistake. Whether 007 continues to call it a Vesper in future films I don't mind, but the drink itself, whatever he refers to it as must stay!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    I actually don't expect the Vesper to hang around any longer in the films than it did in the books.

It will probably just be a vodka martini...though I wouldn't be surprised if he actually decides he prefers it shaken, rather than stirred ;) I guess it just depends upon whether reconstruction follows deconstruction... :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    No, after Vespers death and betrayal, I doubt he'll ever order that again. Unless at the end of the film he celebrates his revenge with one. That'd be cool.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Apocrypha23Apocrypha23 Posts: 177MI6 Agent
    The more I think about it I'm not that particular about what Bond drinks (just not tequila) as long as what he orders is specific. The large Mount Gay and soda in Nassau being a perfect example. "A beer"... not so much. In the books Bond drank all sorts of things, with bourbon being the most frequent, but he was always specific.
  • Bentley Mark IVBentley Mark IV TexasPosts: 144MI6 Agent
    Keep in mind that the literally Bond drank beer on quite a few occasions, usually casually and during the day. Miller High Life and Lowenbrau come to mind as brands. A 21st century Bond would I believe be a beer drinker, especially in this golden age of microbrews, craft beers and imports from brewery geniuses in Belgium, Germany, and even the U.S. I am not advocating that Bond drink Busch Light or Milwaukee’s Best in an upcoming movie, but a tasteful selection would certainly work.
  • ClarkyClarky IndianaPosts: 200MI6 Agent
    Interestingly, Bond and I have similar tastes in liquor. I was an Old Grand Dad bourbon drinker before I ever knew Bond to like it. Miller High Life was a beer staple in university. Here is where Bond and I part tastes, Campari. There are very few drinks I can stand with Campari.

I'd say just like the books the Vesper martini is over with the betrayal. If you want to talk Bond drink modernity, I wouldn't put a dirty vodka martini past him.
    No, you misunderstand, it's not that Bond drinks beer. I love beer, and what's good enough for me is good enough for Bond :). I just like that Bond is SPECIFIC and I don't want the filmmakers to lose sight of that. If Bond wants a beer he should ask the barman for a Red Stripe or a Lowenbrau, not "A beer". Same for wiskey, rum or vodka, whatever. I remember Bond drinking Miller High Life in the US, but there's a stigma that goes with the "Champaign of Beers" these days that I think would exclude it from the films. Too bad, it's not quite Natty Ice or The Beast (if you don't get the joke then you don't drink cheap enough beer).{[]
  • ClarkyClarky IndianaPosts: 200MI6 Agent
    No, you misunderstand, it's not that Bond drinks beer. I love beer, and what's good enough for me is good enough for Bond :). I just like that Bond is SPECIFIC and I don't want the filmmakers to lose sight of that. If Bond wants a beer he should ask the barman for a Red Stripe or a Lowenbrau, not "A beer". Same for wiskey, rum or vodka, whatever. I remember Bond drinking Miller High Life in the US, but there's a stigma that goes with the "Champaign of Beers" these days that I think would exclude it from the films. Too bad, it's not quite Natty Ice or The Beast (if you don't get the joke then you don't drink cheap enough beer).{[]

Natty Ice, The Beast? You must be from Indiana, Kentucky, Texas or some good old redneck region. I am well versed in your language. I also participate in the world famous Beer Bowl Open every year. We have contestants that swear by the stuff...and...er...swear while drinking the stuff too.:))
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,472Chief of Staff
    From Kingsley Amis, a man who knew more than most regarding James Bond and drink:

"A Lowenbrau in Geneva, a Miller's Highlife in New York State, a couple of Red Stripes in Jamaica, as many as four steins of the local brew in Munich with an ex-Luftwaffe pilot- these are legitimate, but keep things within bounds."

I've had the pleasure of drinking with an ex-Luftwaffe pilot (great stories) albeit in Berlin rather than Munich, and the old boy (he's over 80 now, of course, but still going strong) could drink most under the table.
    Clarky wrote:
    Natty Ice, The Beast? You must be from Indiana, Kentucky, Texas or some good old redneck region.
    You caught me dead to rights:) I'm from Kentucky, though not exactly the most redneck portion. I'm in Louisville, it's pretty urban. Natural Ice (Natty) and Milwaukee's Best (The Beast) are typically what poor college students drink copius amounts of around here. I've graduated to Guinness and Newcastle, but loooove trying new microbrews. Although Budweiser is still nice for lounging by the pool on a hot summer day.