Posh heckling

Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,323MI6 Agent
edited March 2008 in Off Topic Chat
I was watching a programme about Enoch Powell the other day, he was a Tory Cabinet minister who in 1968 gave a highly controversial speech about immigration to the UK, it became known as 'the rivers of blood' speech because of its inflammatory language (he was not in favour btw).

They had footage of him delivering the speech to his local party association, and someone out of sight was coughing a fair bit. Now it reminded me of a time I went to a piano recital... you got this coughing, and it seemed a bit excessive even for the season.

Is it meant to be a posh way of heckling your subject or showing disapproval?
"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,764Chief of Staff
    Ok - hands up all those that came here thinking they could heckle Victoria Beckham :D :))

As for the coughing - possibly, maybe they had had a sore throat though ? ;%
    YNWA 97
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I too thought this was about Posh Spice... perhaps a critique of her Project Runway judging ability?
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,994Quartermasters
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Ok - hands up all those that came here thinking they could heckle Victoria Beckham :D :))

[hand goes up]

I'd have been happy to participate. Never understood the appeal/popularity ?:)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

[hand goes up]

me as well. Sorry Posh :D
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited March 2008
    Pendragon wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    [hand goes up]
    me as well. Sorry Posh :D
    I third that. :D Although I also thought it had something to do with Heather Mills, due to some of the things she has been doing lately. 8-) Regarding Posh, I'm neutral about her; I don't dislike her but I certainly don't like her.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,323MI6 Agent
    "sigh..." I'm not going to get a serious answer to this, am I? :))

I just wondered if it was a middle-class type affectation that I was unaware of, like when you meet someone on holiday and they leave you their name and address at the end of it, saying to come and stay if you're in the area; it doesn't actually mean they expect/want you to turn up!
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    "sigh..." I'm not going to get a serious answer to this, am I? :))

Sadly no. :)) I was hoping this was a thread for abusing posh people. In which case, see that Hugh Grant; he's a f***y.

Seriously though, I think middle-class-and-upwards type people have very polite ways of being rude, so you might be onto something there NP.