TLD = Neo FRWL?

JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
edited March 2008 in The James Bond Films
Just thought of this recently, but does anyone think that TLD is kind of like a modern FRWL? I'm not saying it's close in plot or anything like that, but I think it's reminiscent due to the villains, and the fact that there is not one dominant villain. For example, Blofeld sits there and 'pushes the buttons' in FRWL. This might be pushing it, but Whitaker is the same in TLD (although obviously a weaker villain). Kronsteen has the plan and Klebb arranges it in FRWL; And in TLD, Koskov has a similar role, with faking the defection and all (also, MI6 are led into a trap in both FRWL and TLD). Finally, Grant is the executioner in FRWL, whilst Necros is the neo-grant in TLD.

Just a thought. What's your opinions?
1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

Comments

• Harry PalmerHarry Palmer Somewhere in the past ...Posts: 325MI6 Agent
    About a year or two ago there was a thread that divided the Bond movies according to three main paradigms: the FRWL, the GF and the YOLT types.
    I believe this classification can indeed be made (with different results) on the basis of both aesthetic and formal criteria.

And in both cases I would agree with you that TLD is a FRWL-type movie. The other obvious FRWL-type is FYEO. But the parallels are different.
    1. Cr, 2. Ltk, 3. Tld, 4. Qs, 5. Ohmss, 6. Twine, 7. Tnd, 8. Tswlm, 9. Frwl, 10. Tb, 11. Ge, 12. Gf, 13. Dn, 14. Mr, 15. Op, 16. Yolt, 17. Sf, 18. Daf, 19. Avtak, 20. Sp, 21. Fyeo, 22. Dad, 23. Lald, 24. Tmwtgg
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Jarvio you're missing one important thing - both movies revolve around Bond using a girl to get something he wants. Its not Goldfinger where there are 3 ladies, here there is only 1. And both are blonde Soviets, no less!
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    FRWL - TLD are my two faves(Tied at the top)
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • Harry PalmerHarry Palmer Somewhere in the past ...Posts: 325MI6 Agent
    FRWL - TLD are my two faves(Tied at the top)

Mine too {[]
    1. Cr, 2. Ltk, 3. Tld, 4. Qs, 5. Ohmss, 6. Twine, 7. Tnd, 8. Tswlm, 9. Frwl, 10. Tb, 11. Ge, 12. Gf, 13. Dn, 14. Mr, 15. Op, 16. Yolt, 17. Sf, 18. Daf, 19. Avtak, 20. Sp, 21. Fyeo, 22. Dad, 23. Lald, 24. Tmwtgg
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    edited March 2008
    Well that's quite rare.
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • TobiasTobias Chelmsford UKPosts: 115MI6 Agent
    I have the LD dvd here and on the featurette on the making of Living Daylight theres a screen test of Sam Neil and Maraym D'Abo and it is reminisent of FRWL.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Tobias wrote:
    I have the LD dvd here and on the featurette on the making of Living Daylight theres a screen test of Sam Neil and Maraym D'Abo and it is reminisent of FRWL.

All actors that are screen testing for Bond have to go through that scene.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • TobiasTobias Chelmsford UKPosts: 115MI6 Agent
    i LIKE YOUR GUN IMAGE
  • Prince Kamal KhanPrince Kamal Khan Posts: 277MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    Jarvio wrote:
    Just thought of this recently, but does anyone think that TLD is kind of like a modern FRWL? I'm not saying it's close in plot or anything like that, but I think it's reminiscent due to the villains, and the fact that there is not one dominant villain. For example, Blofeld sits there and 'pushes the buttons' in FRWL. This might be pushing it, but Whitaker is the same in TLD (although obviously a weaker villain). Kronsteen has the plan and Klebb arranges it in FRWL; And in TLD, Koskov has a similar role, with faking the defection and all (also, MI6 are led into a trap in both FRWL and TLD). Finally, Grant is the executioner in FRWL, whilst Necros is the neo-grant in TLD.

Agreed. And Kara is the neo-Tatiana. I've thought TLD was the Neo FRWL for years. Just as CR is the Neo OHMSS, TND is the Neo TSWLM, TSWLM is the Neo YOLT, and it looks like QOS will bet the Neo LTK.

In many ways, FRWL could be argued to be the first Timothy Dalton Bond film in spirit though not in actor. Along those lines, I consider GF the first Roger Moore Bond film in spirit, YOLT the first Pierce Brosnan Bond film in spirit and OHMSS the first Daniel Craig Bond film in spirit.
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,307MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:

Agreed. And Kara is the neo-Tatiana. I've thought TLD was the Neo FRWL for years. Just as CR is the Neo FRWL, TND is the Neo TSWLM, TSWLM is the Neo YOLT, and it looks like QOS will bet the Neo LTK.

In many ways, FRWL could be argued to be the first Timothy Dalton Bond film in spirit though not in actor. Along those lines, I consider GF the first Roger Moore Bond film in spirit, YOLT the first Pierce Brosnan Bond film in spirit and OHMSS the first Daniel Craig Bond film in spirit.

That's an awful lot of good spirit!

I see the point - very interesting idea. Also agree that TLD is in part a re-run of FRWL. The middle section of the movie is really good, probably Dalton's best work as Bond.
  • Prince Kamal KhanPrince Kamal Khan Posts: 277MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    chrisno1 wrote:

That's an awful lot of good spirit!

I see the point - very interesting idea.

Thanks, chrisno1. Here's my theory in a little more detail-

FRWL is first Dalton film. A tough, edgy Cold War spy drama very faithful to Fleming.

GF is the first Moore film. Overt comedy and OTT introduced directed by the same man who would later direct Roger Moore's first two Bond films.

YOLT is the first Brosnan film. A "greatest hits" medley of what worked in previous films, remade more expensively and lavishly with more action than before.

OHMSS is the first Craig film. A down-to-earth entry for a muscular, very action oriented new Bond who relies less on Q-branch gadgets and shows more humanity making CR the neo-OHMSS.
    chrisno1 wrote:
    Also agree that TLD is in part a re-run of FRWL. The middle section of the movie is really good, probably Dalton's best work as Bond.

Agreed. TLD is the series' best film made post-TB and features my favorite debut film for if not the best Bond actor then the one who most resembles Fleming's character as written.
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,307MI6 Agent
    Agreed. TLD is the series' best film made post-TB and features my favorite debut film for if not the best Bond actor then the one who most resembles Fleming's character as written.

Yes, I didnt touch on this enough in my recent review. Its interesting that Fleming wanted someone quite debonair, like Cary Grant or David Niven, but the Bond I read in the novels is much meaner, rough around the edges and care worn. I too think Dalton's portrait is very close to the novels (I can imagine him saying some of the sentences in TLD and FRWL) and while Connery is always my number one, by the time of TB he was too comfortable in the persona he'd created. It works well for the movies, but it isn't Fleming's Bond.