For Your Eyes Only: Guilty or Not Guilty

darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
Empire Magazine's "Movie Trial" is currently debating the merits of FYEO. You can follow the link below to observe or participate in the debate:

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1830824

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    I guess I don't get this "trial" thing. . .guilty of what? Being a bad film? Maybe if I read Empire I'd have a clue. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    edited March 2008
    Apparently, it's a weak attempt to generate discussion in Empire's online forums (with all 6 members). I don't quite get it either, but I happened upon it and thought someone at AJB might be willing to edify Empire's minds with AJB's superior discourse.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    edited March 2008
    I guess I'd have to acquit...but the fight with the hockey goons on the ice rink is pretty damning :v
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    I guess I don't get this "trial" thing. . .guilty of what? Being a bad film? Maybe if I read Empire I'd have a clue. . .

Every month in Empire they have a mock trial in which one writer puts forward a case against a movie using the language of the law, while another writer acts for the defence. The readers then act as the jury by voting on a guilty or not guilty verdict. I haven't seen this month's issue, but I would quite like to now.
    I got a hold of last month’s Empire and I’ve distilled the arguments.

The PROSECUTION accuses FYEO of-

Having an inconsistent tone defined by the opening sequence in which the melancholy of Bond at Tracey’s grave is contrasted with the comedic dispatch of Blofeld.

Sheena Easton’s theme tune is bland.

Carole Bouquet gives a “dead-eyed, charisma-free performance.” The writer doesn’t think much of Lynn-Holly Johnson either.

The clothes are terrible.

Topol is an “un-intriguing mystery man,” while Julian Glover is “an unconvincing Greek.”

The action sequences are “low-octane,” characterised by Locque dying in a “scandously non-exploding car.”

That Raiders of the Lost Ark raised the bar for stunt work, making FYEO’s look even more unimpressive.

Roger Moore’s “failings were becoming more apparent by the moment.”

But the writer is most scathing about the comedy use of Margaret Thatcher and Dennis, “at a time when the nation’s cities were literally burning with rage.”

THE DEFENCE.

Points out that films that are 30 years old age tend to have outdated fashion wear.

Disputes that Bond films should be about spectacle and gadgets. That leads to Moonraker, “when James Bond went into space. Dwell on that for a moment. He. Went. Into. Space.” Also points out that the prosecution seems to dislike FYEO because it is a “Cold War spy thriller based on the work of Ian Fleming,” instead of a “daft runaround full of stunts, babes, and FX.”

“The Citreon chase sequence in the Spanish hills stands up against any action from the whole series.”

The death of Locque is “one of the strongest moments in 80’s Bond.” That is “pure, cold-blooded Fleming.”

Compares FYEO to CR, in that it followed after a huge, daft adventure, and restored some grit to the franchise.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I accuse the defendant known as FYEO with a most heinous crime. The molding of an 11 year old brain to that of the Bond fanatic.

How do you plead?

Guilty as charged -{
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    In the actual mag (Which I've gotten monthly for over a year now) where and when does it tell you if the film is guilty or not?
    207qoznfl4.gif
    In the actual mag (Which I've gotten monthly for over a year now) where and when does it tell you if the film is guilty or not?

The results are given online Sweepy. If you click the link at the top of the page it should take you there, although the site seemed to be having problems when I tried to access it earlier today.
  • maddogmaciasmaddogmacias Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    inconsistent tone - who cares. I watch JB for entertainment. I don't stop to ponder if he's being consistent or not.

Sheena Easton’s theme tune is bland. -- DEAD WRONG. Her song is beautiful. seond only to Carly SImon's.

Carole Bouquet gives a “dead-eyed, charisma-free performance.” -- That's the way it should have been.

The writer doesn’t think much of Lynn-Holly Johnson either. -- Maybe Lynn-Holly Johnson doesn't think that much of the writer.

The clothes are terrible. -- they looked fine to me.

Roger Moore’s “failings were becoming more apparent by the moment.” -- Like where????

But the writer is most scathing about the comedy use of Margaret Thatcher and Dennis, “at a time when the nation’s cities were literally burning with rage.” -- the writer sounds really constipated. the ending with the parrot was hilarious.