I'm a little scared...

13»

Comments

• darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    edited April 2008
    Not to turn this into a Craig war, because I actually think Craig was one of the few good things CR had going for it...but I have to agree that Craig doesn't seem to me to have a lot of 'charm' going for him. As an actor, he's great, but as his recent film releases here in the States seem to indicate, he's hasn't been much of a draw for U.S. audiences.
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008
    Lazenby880 wrote:
    I don't really think the audience engaged with Craig in the same way but it's not a 'star' performance in that sense, which is fair enough. You kind of watch from the outside.
    Although this is based on entirely anecdotal evidence, and therefore perhaps not that much help, I could not disagree more. With one or two exceptions I have found that the vast majority of people really did engage with Daniel Craig in the role.

It's not based on anecdotal evidence... I offer no evidence of any kind. :D I don't mean audiences weren't interested by Craig, or impressed by him etc. They were, no question. But I don't think they warmed to him the way one might with Connery, Moore, Bruce in Die Hard. It's more like Christian Bale in Batman, you don't particularly want to be him, there's not that magic when suddenly you feel it's you up on the screen.
    Apologies, I meant my argument was based on anecdotal evidence! I would not be so cheeky as to suggest your thoughts were 'unhelpful' NP! Random old ladies I talked to after a screening of the picture back in 2006 was instructive: they raved about him, having seen all of the Bond actors on screen. Personally I think his performance *is* engaging, and I certainly was hooked by the way in which Craig portrays the utter despondency of the situation. There was a real magnetism to the performance, and I don't mean that in comparison to any of the others.

Darenhat, the only blockbuster Craig in which Craig has starred in very recent years (he usually pops up in much smaller films) I can think if is The Golden Compass. I understand that did not do so well in the United States, although didn't it do better outside the US? I remember reading that the anti-religious nature of the source material might hurt the film in some areas of the US, however I am not sure how pertinent a factor that was. Like Brosnan I suppose Craig might not be that much of a draw in himself in the US, but then there is no accoutning for taste. ;)
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Lazenby880 wrote:
    Darenhat, the only blockbuster Craig in which Craig has starred in very recent years (he usually pops up in much smaller films) I can think if is The Golden Compass. I understand that did not do so well in the United States, although didn't it do better outside the US? I remember reading that the anti-religious nature of the source material might hurt the film in some areas of the US, however I am not sure how pertinent a factor that was. Like Brosnan I suppose Craig might not be that much of a draw in himself in the US, but then there is no accoutning for taste. ;)

I haven't seen The Golden Compass, but from what I understand, Craig's role was rather small, very much a supporting one, if not practically a cameo, so even there I think you're right about Craig and smaller roles. He seems to be most interested in independent films that don't get wide release at U.S. cineplexes, which is where the big box office is generated. From some of the other films he's supposedly signed on for, the Bond experience doesn't seem to have changed his tastes, which I think speaks well for him. I don't expect too many breathless "Daniel Craig is Out for Blood" marketing campaigns in his future. And those types of films are the blockbusters. Mega-stars like Brad Pitt and George Clooney rarely have one of those. I think the last one for both of them was Ocean's 13.

As an aside, I don't think Compass was a success here because frankly how many Compass-Nardia-Nim-Rings-yada-yada-yada films can the market bear?
    I was also thinking about Invasion but in Craig's defense, I'm not even sure if he had any front billing on that film.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    Lazenby880 wrote:
    ...I'm not sure I take your point about fidelity to the source material being a measure of seriousness; lots of Fleming is about as serious as Coco the Clown [see death by guano in Dr No and most of You Only Live Twice]).§

But not OHMSS, obviously, which is what I was getting at. OHMSS was one of the more serious novels overall, IMRO, and Telly Savalas and Diana Rigg spewing poetry to one another didn't sufficiently ruin the consistency of tone...at least for me :) Obviously, Cinematic Bond has his way at points, but it really is a reasonably faithful outing.

Dalton's tenure---especially the 'serious' LTK---had occasional outbursts of silliness that very nearly spoiled the experience for me.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    I don't mean audiences weren't interested by Craig, or impressed by him etc. They were, no question. But I don't think they warmed to him the way one might with Connery, Moore, Bruce in Die Hard. It's more like Christian Bale in Batman, you don't particularly want to be him, there's not that magic when suddenly you feel it's you up on the screen.

Interestingly, I've never really 'felt it was me' up on the screen, but that's never stopped me identifying with Bond---or wanting to be Bond---even when I strongly disliked the interpretation of the actor in the role. I've always considered Bond to be a character viewed 'from the outside,' which to me actually enhances the vicarious escapism of his stories. One can watch Bond, enjoy his exploits, admire and even want to be him...but there's an undeniable separation between him and us, and IMO there always has been---from DN onward.

I'd have to agree with L880 that Craig did, in fact, manage to be quite engaging to audiences as Bond, which IMO accounts for much of its unexpected (in some quarters) success. I've only anecdotal evidence of my own, and quite insufficient to be a valid scientific sampling...but my own mother (never particularly a Bond fan) really enjoyed CR, and promptly declared Craig her favourite Bond actor.

In another viewing, my best friend from high school (once again, not a Bond fan---in fact, he's still never forgiven me for dragging him to AVTAK in '85)---allowed me, under silent protest, to put CR in the DVD player...and then ended up enjoying it quite a lot.

To me, what this means is that the Craig-Era Bond is drawing new audiences to the franchise---apparently enough of them to more than compensate for the pockets of fandom it has apparently alienated. I predict/believe this will continue to serve the franchise well in QoS...and that's why I'm not scared {[]
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    I was also thinking about Invasion but in Craig's defense, I'm not even sure if he had any front billing on that film.

I saw that one. It was really Nicole Kidman's movie. His part was marginal. The problem with it was that it wasn't a very good film.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    Ah well, I sort of stand corrected about the Craig appeal then. Fair do's. I was only going by the vibe in my cinema at the time. :)
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008
    Regarding The Golden Compass and Invasion, it is true that neither are particularly good films, but it must also be acknowledged that both featured Nicole Kidman, who has never really had a big hit. Craig's mistake was arguably not making these two films, but making them with Nicole who doesn't bring all that many people out to the cinema. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Fair enough

(BTW...I think we should rename this topic a 'A Quantum of Fear" and the other thread about Bond 23 'A Quantum of News')