London: Spy Who Loved Me, April

There's a showing of a digital print of The Spy Who Loved Me at the Empire Leicester Square, London on 20 April, £13.50.

http://www.empirecinemas.co.uk/?page=nowshowing&tbx_site_id=5
"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Comments

• StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    Wow!

This was the first Bond film I saw, as a boy in Liverpool in 1977. The event that started my obsession!! I would love to re-live this and attend this viewing.

Any one else interested in joining me? Could go for a drink afterwards too to discuss?
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Oooh I don't know, Strangeways! It might be weird meeting someone on this site, like breaking the forth wall! Or meeting your teacher out of school hours... :#

How strange are your ways anyhow? :s :))

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Oooh I don't know, Strangeways! It might be weird meeting someone on this site, like breaking the forth wall! Or meeting your teacher out of school hours... :#

Afraid of losing our mystique are we Nap? ;)
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
    I've got mystique?!! :o ;%

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    My strange ways are not so strange! ?:)
    I will be there anyhow. Let me know if any others wanna come.
    How do I post pics on here and I may even post a pic so you recognise me! LOL.
    Eh? Isn't that you on your avatar? ?:)

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I have booked!
    see you there if anyone is interested in meeting up let me know either on here or via a PM and we can exchange emails.

{[]
    Quick off the mark! I will PM you strangeways when I'm feeling more outgoing... :D Maybe arrange to meet with a carnation in our jacket or something... :))

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited April 2008
    It was great to see TSWLM on the big screen for the first time in over 30 years!
    I noticed so much more than on the DVD, like Stromberg's webbed hands and the great detail on the sets in Atlantis and on the Liparus.
    A lovely afternoon - even got to meet Napoleon Plural and Lewis Gilbert. :p
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    Very good, it's always refreshing to see a Bond flick on the big screen! B-)

Lewis Gilbert is a rare appearence I might add.

What was he like to meet? Did he sign autographs?
    He did sign a few, but not for me as I didn't like to ask. He is very frail these days and I am just so glad that I got to meet the man who directed my first ever 007 experience.
    The movie was a lot better than I expected. I saw a rusty old print the exact same venue two years ago, and it seemed horribly dated. That was the time when Bourne seemed at its zenith, but I feel that's peaked now.

However, Moore seemed very old at times, quite out of keeping with today's action heroes. Never mind, AVTAK, he looked all his 50 years and then some in only his third film. His manner is OTT patronising at times too, but he's usually an amiable presence.

The pts was better than ever, with stunning panoramic views on the big screen that are only briefly caught but very impressive. It's a lovely film with a real sense of symmetry. And unusually, Bond strikes up a real rapport with the US sub commander that you don't normally get in these army shootout climaxes like that of TB, YOLT, MR.

Meeting Strangeways for a drink beforehand was cool, too. Odd having a natter with someone about Bond rather than on the site, like breaking the fourth wall. :s :) I suppose we should have taken a photo like Tee Hee and Loeffs.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,726MI6 Agent
    Yeah it looked absolutely stunning- so clear and so much detail in many shots. Who knew that the sailor we see in the pre-credits whose cup of tea starts rattling was so spotty? And that Chandor had so many broken veins in the skin on his nose? :)
    Sound was a bit echoey but it was generally great. Pretty decent turn-out, too. The posters said it was an 'advance screening' too- perhaps it'll be released a little wider?
    edited April 2008
    emtiem wrote:
    Yeah it looked absolutely stunning- so clear and so much detail in many shots. Who knew that the sailor we see in the pre-credits whose cup of tea starts rattling was so spotty?

Yeah, I noticed that too. And Moore's face in the first scene in the Alpine hut was very moley, I reckon he used make-up to cover it up in other scenes. Bach looked more stunning than ever, though her teeth seemed more grey-white than the pearly white we expect from today's actresses.

I see you preferred to be incognito, empty! :D

Edit: Oddly, there's no mention of this event on mi6.co.uk. Did they not know about it? ?:)

Roger Moore 1927-2017