The organization has a name!

zencatzencat Studio City, CAPosts: 224MI6 Agent
Michael G Wilson let the cat is out of the bag to USA Today. Here we go:
Wilson explains: "The title we thought was appropriate for a couple of reasons. The villainous organization is called Quantum, and what Bond is looking for in his life is a measure of comfort, and that's what a 'quantum of solace' is. He's just trying to find a little bit of comfort because his life is in turmoil."

I like.

{[]
www.thebookbond.com - New Look. New Book. Pure BOND.

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    I'll buy that -{
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,738MI6 Agent
    Because there's nothing a team of international super criminals love to do more than sit around and brainstorm ideas for corporate-sounding vaguely meaningless names for their gang :)
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    It is an acronym...it stands for QUick...Assasination...Nastiness...Titilation...Ulcers...Murder
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    They could use it to play a number theme or something like that. I hope that Quantum does go on for more than two movies, is this a new SPECTER?
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,885Chief of Staff
    emtiem wrote:
    Because there's nothing a team of international super criminals love to do more than sit around and brainstorm ideas for corporate-sounding vaguely meaningless names for their gang :)

It does sound more like a global corporation--The Quantum Group or something like that. Maybe it's the legitimate face to an insidious organization?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Ah yes! Of course. The organization just happen to be named Qauntum and Bond just happens to be looking for solace. I can see some genius in the meetings right now saying "You know, Ian Fleming just happened to write a short story called Quantum of Solace! It's almost as if Fleming knew we were going to write this script and would need a title for it!"

I don't mind the title, but please don't try to make it sound like the title was made for the script and not the other way around. 8-)
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Given that quantum is something very, very small, I would guess that the Quantum Group is a small, boutique criminal organization that has the time to really, really pour its heart and soul into its conspiracies. They go for the small touches, like placing a chocolate on the filthy straw pillows of the rat-infested cells where they keep their enemies. The top villain no doubt does all his own torturing, fighting and shooting.

Like the old Hertz-Rent-A-Car commercial, they're not No. 1, but they try harder.
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    Ah yes! Of course. The organization just happen to be named Qauntum and Bond just happens to be looking for solace. I can see some genius in the meetings right now saying "You know, Ian Fleming just happened to write a short story called Quantum of Solace! It's almost as if Fleming knew we were going to write this script and would need a title for it!"

I don't mind the title, but please don't try to make it sound like the title was made for the script and not the other way around. 8-)

Well said DH. And wouldn't you know it, Greene's company, Greene Planet, just happens to deal in environmentally friendly or "green" technologies.

Just as Auric Goldfinger must have felt it was his destiny to involve himself with the world's most sought-after metal, Dominic Greene must think he was put on this Earth for the purpose of ending global climate change. 8-)

Such creativity. How ever do they do it? :v
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • jamesbondagent007jamesbondagent007 Divided States of TrumpPosts: 236MI6 Agent
    I didn't know they were holding the Annual Cynics Convention at ajb this year! ;)
    I didn't know they were holding the Annual Cynics Convention at ajb this year! ;)

This isn't the Cynics convention...it's the 'Don't Patronize Me, Mr. Wilson" Club :(|)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters

This year?! :)) Predictability does have a measure of comfort... :v

I think 'Quantum' is a good name for an organization---criminal or otherwise. It's suitably oblique; the fact that Eon has tied it in with an original Fleming title simply isn't a problem for me.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    This isn't the Cynics convention...it's the 'Don't Patronize Me, Mr. Wilson" Club :(|)

Er... patronise takes an 's'. Aren't you a little young to be using words like that?

:D ;)
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited April 2008

Er... patronise takes an 's'. Aren't you a little young to be using words like that?

What are you? From the UK or something? ;) That's the problem with the British: They don't know how to properly use a 'Z' (or should I say 'zed'?)
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead....
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Very interesting. And it will be interesting to see if Quantum becomes the new SPECTRE. I personally like it.

However, they'd better not use Blofeld. He belonged to the Connery era only IMO (I know he was also in a Lazenby film, but I still consider that to be within the Connery era)
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:

What are you? From the UK or something? ;) That's the problem with the British: They don't know how to properly use a 'Z' (or should I say 'zed'?)

Thanks for upholding our honour -- uh -- honor, Darenhat :)) :))

I've always wondered how these little spelling differences came about. And since when is a truck a "lorry"?

Lorryin', got my chips cashed in
    Keep lorryin', like the Doo-Dah Man
    Together, more or less in line,
    Just keep lorryin' on

Somehow I just can't picture Jerry Garcia singing that ...
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008
    highhopes wrote:
    I've always wondered how these little spelling differences came about
    When Microsoft invented "US English", then gave the people who invented the language gave the patronising option of "UK English" (or none at all) :))
    unitedkingdom.png
    Although I'm coming round to the idea of using z's in 'ize' words; I believe that was the original UK English spelling which somehow turned to 's', although I may be horribly wrong! :)
    Yes; here we go (slow morning, so bear with me!): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences#-ise.2C_-ize

It seems that the -ize spelling for creating a verb from a root noun or adjective is even accepted by the Oxford English Dictionary, so is more than acceptable to use in the UK.

And they say you can't learn anything from James Bond! :)
  • discovolantediscovolante los angeles ca usaPosts: 66MI6 Agent
    Why wouldn't they write a scene that mirrors the original Fleming short story? Bond could have a conversation with some boring politician type guy and learn the concept of "quantum of solace". the theme of that short story was don't judge a book by it's cover, which fits in well with Vesper's treachery. This would be way better than naming the organization Quantum. It does feel like they're working the plot to fit the name, rather than the other way around. But, I could be wrong...
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,836MI6 Agent
    Now you ruined it all, Discovolante, by actually getting back on topic!
    He ruinized it.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,836MI6 Agent
    Precizely!
    emtiem wrote:
    He ruinized it.

:))
  • Walther PPKWalther PPK Posts: 180MI6 Agent
    I hope that there is a scene like in the short story
    where Bond learns the meaning of a Quantum Of Solace, maybe from Camille since based the recent newspaper articles she is after Greene for the same reason Bond is after him.