Goldeneye to Become a Resort

HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
Personally, I think this is a lousy way to celebrate Ian Fleming's 100th birthday. . .Fleming's Jamaica home of Goldeneye is to be turned into a resort for celebrities, with 85 luxury houses (the low price is $750,000), stores, spas, you name it. I posted the story to the news section, but you can also read about it on the Times Online.

If you ever dreamed about seeing Goldeneye and living life as Fleming lived it, better act fast!
Vox clamantis in deserto

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited April 2008
    Well, they've been renting out Goldeneye itself for years now (I think it was going for about $3500 a night back in '02, when DAD came out)...but the real tragedy is all the new development around the residence :(

Shame, really.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Red IndianRed Indian BostonPosts: 427MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008
    I'm glad I got to see it before all of this development. Blackwell did a good job of hiding the newer villas when they were constructed, but personally I think that was more than enough!

I used to travel to Jamaica every year and never knew that one of my favorite bartenders had a connection to Goldeneye. I mentioned Ramsey DaCosta (Fleming's Bon Homme) at the bar one night and he overheard me. His response: "That's my father-in-law!"

The next day, he and his wife and I drove out there for a private tour from Ramsey himself. I spent the entire day eating and drinking with him. It was one of the greatest days of my life...

I am a huge Fleming fan and can't imagine any way of getting closer to that world. Luckily, I got to sit at his original writing desk before they shipped it off to the UK!

It really is an incredible spot. Exactly what you would want in your own private paradise. The private beach is very small but fantastic!

Ramsey said to come back again the next time I'm in Jamaica, I can't wait. I would love to stay there at the main house but it is really expensive. Luckily, the people staying there at the time were gone for the day so we had the place all to ourselves.

I've always hoped they would shoot a scene for one of the new films there as a nod to Fleming. Maybe after QoS 007 will have to go back to Jamaica... ;)
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I thought I'd add this: the BBC website has some clips of a correspondent's trip to Goldeneye, which includes a look at the house's interior, garden, and private beach; a tour of Fleming's grotto; and some comments by Charlie Higson. It's all drawn from a larger report airing on the Beeb. Oh, watch for adverts!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7346971.stm
    Vox clamantis in deserto