My Bond Travel Feature

Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,304MI6 Agent
edited April 2008 in The James Bond Films
As part of b there!, the inflight mag for Brussels Airlines.

http://btheremag.com/2008/04/01/bond-and-beyond/

The actual mag has pictures from the films.

BTW, I'm indebted to forum member Alessandra for the info on Lake Garda. Hope she's having a good time out there with Craig at the moment! -{
"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Comments

• Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Very cool, albeit without the great NP wit we get at AJB. ;)
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    Very nicely done; my congratulations! {[]
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008
    Good on you NP! Quite a bit of research in there (did you have to write the French and Flemish bits too?) ;) Didn't realise you had a hand in journalism. Bond fandom helping pay the rent; sounds good. :)
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,304MI6 Agent
    On a side note, the Hamburg hotel featured in Tomorrow Never Dies has a James Bond suite, supposedly the one used in the film. But of course, the room where Bond and Paris get it on was shot in Stoke Poges Golf Club, while the suite they have on offer is a bit grotty looking. They also have a BMW suite of all things, a hangover from the film.

Many of the hotels Ian Fleming recommended in his travel writings, Thrilling Cities, are still going, half a century on.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    ;) I know both suites from the Atlantic Hotel in Hamburg and can't find them too grotty. They are the 2 best suites in the hotel ;)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    NP, what was the place they used for the ending scene of TLD where just shortly after the credits roll?

Very nice hotel it was too!
    You mean the Opera House? That was the Vienna Opera House, I believe. The odd thing about TLD is that much of it was filmed in Vienna ie the Czech scenes meant to be in Bratislava, like when Bond is spying on Kara, and the defection earlier.

Ditto NSNA. It's in Nice, but so are the Syrian scenes ie the horseback chase, that's in a place near Nice and so is the spooky scene where Largo confronts 007 and Domino in some temple and the statue is dropped and broken. Saves money I suppose.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I'm not sure it was the Opera House right at the credits?

The interior scene with Bond and Kara kissing (at the end of the film) appeared to be at least, the Opera House yes, but after that scene when the credits roll, there is a shot of an exterior hotel which doesn't appear to be the Opera House from the exterior, it looks like a large hotel.
    If it's a hotel, it may be Hotel Palais im Schwarzenberg, where Bond and Kara check into earlier in the film. It's closed for refurbishment at the moment, until next year most likely.

I don't have my copy of TLD to hand...

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    That's the one! :p

Cheers NP, your an expert!

It's a lovely looking hotel, just magnificent.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Nice work NP. How did you land that gig?
    :D Ah, see how mock-innocuously Mr Drake asks that question... It's a classic in the media business, and usually met with a response expert in obfuscation, stonewalling and evasion... :p

I'm a sub-editor, Drake, so when I was booked in I pitched it to the editor of the mag. I've also got to interview the Cheeky Girls about their hometown Cluj... forgot to ask if they'd want to do the Bond theme however, an oversight... :# :)) That was for another inflight mag...

BTW I didn't actually visit any of those places... :(

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    :D Ah, see how mock-innocuously Mr Drake asks that question... It's a classic in the media business, and usually met with a response expert in obfuscation, stonewalling and evasion... :p[/i]

:)) You got me.
    Bondtoys wrote:
    ;) I know both suites from the Atlantic Hotel in Hamburg and can't find them too grotty. They are the 2 best suites in the hotel ;)

Hi Bondtoys, well people can judge for themselves. I believe it's the Atlantic Suite on this link, not too bad but hardly the place for Paris to get her kecks off in:

http://www.kempinski.atlantic.de/en/rooms/index.htm?id=742

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    yes, it is the Atlantic suite, but in nature, it looks much better than in the pics. I must admit, that there are several antique pieces of furtniture inside, but I wouldn't call the suite grotty. It is a very traditional wealthy Hamburg style,
    Though, I absolutely agree that the BMW suite has a much more modern touch and I'd rather stay in there ;)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!