Accident on set

13»

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,738MI6 Agent
    Oh no, not another crash!

Hope everyone involved is OK, but you've really got to question the stuntmen's skill........did they do rehearsals etc?

Wonder if the accidents will make it on to the bonus features of the DVD!

I just hope they're okay- this must be a tricky stunt for them to have had two accidents trying to shoot it.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008
    Definately no evidence of that, there is no entrance point. If it sliced through the car like cheesewire, there would be a huge slice in the roof, chassis or windscreen, but there is absolutely nothing.

astonsmash.jpg

bond03_682_473399a.jpg

Aargh, what am I doing. Enough, lets just agree to disagree or we'll be here all week :s {[]
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • AlessandraAlessandra Lake Garda, ItalyPosts: 633MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008
    I'm sorry Alessandra, but I really don't think you know what you're talking about. Yesterday you said that they took the car out of the water without the railings, now you say they were in it when they took it out. It doesn't make any sense as to how they'd stick that massive one through it when it was underwater, it makes perfect sense that the railing cut through the car when it crashed through them and stayed in it. It makes no sense at all that they would gently push some old bits of railing into the bodywork (into holes that appear to have been torn by railings) in order to move around the entire car. You couldn't push a bit of railing into a car hard enough underwater for them to be stable enough to move an entire car enough.

Look, I did not see ANY poles when they took the car out of the water in the footage, that's right. I said it and I repeat it.

Then you posted photos of the poles BEING THERE when they took the car out of the water: so what, do I keep saying "oh the poles aren't there when they're there??".:)) I may have not seen them the first time around but I'm not crazy! I simply may have not seen them beacuse they showed the car being taken out of the water from a wider angle in the footage and the poles are not very thick (and that's a fact as I know the place, live here and have seen those tourist railings thousands of times, including these specific ones as I drove by last week.. you're talking about massive poles but there aren't any of them that are massive).

And I said that they had put the poles to keep the car still when it was OUT of the water because I didn't even RECOLLECT the fact of having seen that lorry thing in Salo'. When I saw what Asp99m posted, I remembered about that. Sorry if my mind isn't always that quick. That is why I posted what I last posted, not that I owe you any explanation of how and why I recollect things.

Now, let's repeat again. Fact: I saw a small lorry being taken out of the lake in Salo' after falling into the water in a place where there were no railings whatsoever (private road near a parking lot, there were just bushes on the side) and it had poles stuck in it the same way this car did. They stuck them in there to manoeuver the lorry underwater. And this was something that I asked about when I saw this lorry since I couldn't understand how the poles ended up there.

So again, fact: they do stick poles or whatever they deem appropriate in things underwater in order to manoeuver them.

Again, as far as the angle and the way they're stuck in, it makes no sense whatsoever that the car hitting the pedestrian railings with the roof and while spinning has poles stuck in horizontally going through it with that angle and in that position. Which is by the way a very convenient position for people to manoeuver the car. They don't push them in "gently" at all, they stick them in firmly and they have to be well stuck in or they cannot manoeuver whatever they need to safely. And the holes are torn exactly because they used the poles to manoeuver the car.

I may not know what I'm talking about, but people who explained to me about the lorry certainly knew what they were talking about since it's their job. Whether you deem it possible or not, it is a fact that they do stick poles or whatever else needed in objects underwater in order to manoeuver them and take them to the surface.
    "Are we on coms?" (if you don't know where this is from... you've missed some really good stuff! :D)
    Be calm Alessandra, I know you're right inquisition.gif
    I'm not going on with this.

Anyway; here's a picture from the latest accident showing the Alfa- looks nasty.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1084359.ece
    Certainly does look nasty. Looks like it could have been a whole lot worse though if he had gone completely over the edge. I wonder if they'll reshoot or scrap it altogether.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Certainly does look nasty. Looks like it could have been a whole lot worse though if he had gone completely over the edge. I wonder if they'll reshoot or scrap it altogether.

I don't know. Filming is halted for today (not that it is a bad thing after all since the weather isn't exactly sensational). I am not sure whether they'll prolong the stay (today is the last day they're supposed to be here, then they move to Tuscany) or just keep what they have and scrap the rest.

As far as the people involved, they just gave the last medical bullettin on the news and one of them is ok, the other (the Greek one) isn't. Doctors still haven't ruled out death risks for him. He is at the Verona hospital.
    "Are we on coms?" (if you don't know where this is from... you've missed some really good stuff! :D)
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    I'm a little late to this conversation and if this theory has already been mentioned and discarded, sorry. But could those "rails" actually be some sort of mounts for a camera?
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    highhopes wrote:
    I'm a little late to this conversation and if this theory has already been mentioned and discarded, sorry. But could those "rails" actually be some sort of mounts for a camera?

I think it's pretty clear from the photos that the rails are actually from the pedestrian rails along the road, based on the fact that you can see a section of railing has been torn from the length of the fence.

The question now is how did the railing come to be sticking out of the auto in various places like a porcupine.
  • VilliersVilliers Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008
    I am guessing that that is down to mounting a kerb and hitting the railings "fast"! Heavy car, excessive speed (allegedly) and surface water are not always the best combination. Despite the driver's comments to the contrary, and bearing in mind the fine, I think it is safe to say that the car was travelling at "speed", the driver lost control (due to aquaplaning I read)and the barrier didn't stand a chance!

I may be missing something here but, I had assumed that the roof damage happened AFTER the Aston had smashed through the barriers and not that the car had gone through the barriers on it's roof. Has that been clarified somewhere? As they had BIG problems trying to flip the Aston for the CR stunt without mechanical intervention I can't imagine just driving down a road and aquaplaning would cause the Aston to flip over on to it's roof!
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    I was just watching E, and I could have sworn I heard Ryan Seacrest say the driver was killed. Is that true? Considering the source and all I don't know if I heard it right. God, I hope not.
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    Here's a few shots of the latest crash.

bondcrashBARCROFT_468x313.jpg

bondcrashBARCROFT_468x352.jpg
    Looks like the one in the top shot was the one with the dummies in- the stuntmen were in the one which wasn't so badly damaged.
  • De BleuchampDe Bleuchamp Posts: 59MI6 Agent
    I'm wondering what country the car number plates indicate they were registered in?
    Aston DBS - 72 GH 3 LD.
    Alfa 159 - 16 SA 8 PT.
    They are EU plates but surely Italian plates have 2 letters for their city-like TO for Torino(Turin)? So anyone know which country?
    The DBS in CR was TT-378-20 which looks like the Trnava area of Slovakia? (searched at Wikipedia).

De Bleuchamp.
    "Have you got a match?"
  • Herr MichaelHerr Michael Posts: 360MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008
    It's not Germany, they use one or two letters too.

They may have been made up for the movie. I didn't find any EU plates that begin with numerals. They all seem to start with one, two, or three letter code of either the state, city, or district where the auto is licensed.

There are plenty of companies that will make a custom EU plate for you.

042508_08541.jpg

I ran this plate on the front of my 626 in Kansas where no front plate is required. I'm in Illinois now, so I had to remove it.
    edited April 2008
    I'm wondering what country the car number plates indicate they were registered in?
    Aston DBS - 72 GH 3 LD.
    Alfa 159 - 16 SA 8 PT.
    They are EU plates but surely Italian plates have 2 letters for their city-like TO for Torino(Turin)?

No, Italian plates do not have the initials of the province in them anymore, they changed many years ago actually. And the one on the Alfa is an Italian plate. It's two letters, numbers, two letters. That's how they are now. And the two letters don't have anything to do with the province or area anymore. The area initials MAY be written (upon person's request) in the blue tag on the right. Otherwise no indications of the area at all.

So sorry guys, there's nothing exotic or custom-made about them. They're just very normal Italian plates made for "testing" they're called "targa di prova". (test plate, something like that) That means they don't indicate the owner of the car, they're those given to auto dealers when they give out cars to test for clients. They are also used in cases like this when the car isn't owned by a specific person but just used for a movie etc. So nothing exotic, just usual Italian business :))
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008
    hello.gif Ciao Alessandra,

thanks for the update. Are there any local news about the injured greek stuntman and his condition?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008

There are plenty of companies that will make a custom EU plate for you.

I ran this plate on the front of my 626 in Kansas where no front plate is required. I'm in Illinois now, so I had to remove it.

Hello Herr Michael,

That's a custom german license plate, that you are having for sure ;)

M would stand for Munich and the stamp would be then not the german eagle, it would be the blue-white bavarian flag. The stamp above the eagle would be coloured, too.

And, the biggest mistake: after the "-" we have a maximum of 2 letters here ;)

If you need a better one, I may be able to arrange something....
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    edited April 2008
    Good to hear that the stuntman is in stable condition; hopefully the worst is past.

I do hope the accident does not cause them to lose the scene; it sounds as if it will be quite thrilling!
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Good to hear that the stuntman is in stable condition; hopefully the worst is past.

I do hope the accident does not cause them to lose the scene; it sounds as if it will be quite thrilling!

I don't think they'll lose the scene Loeffs darling.. they have filmed footage for the first 11 minutes of the movie (at least that's what they said, this is the pre-title sequence), so I'm pretty sure they filmed everything more than once. Filming WAS indeed suspended after the accident but I'm fairly sure they had filmed enough about the scene before. I guess as an extreme measure they can always add what's missing by using computer graphics? I'm fairly sure they have what they needed though. :D
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    Not sure if they can really use the crash footage if it contains a serious injury. Not sure what the ethics of that would be...
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    Well, one article said that they went back for a reshoot of this particular scene because the 2nd Unit Director wasn't happy with what he had, so presumably there are other takes in the can. With a bit of ingenuity, they ought to be able to cobble something together. They could probably use some of this particular footage prior to the actual crash without offending anyone's sensibilities.

Have we heard for sure that they won't be resuming filming along this road?
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008
    There's been serious accidents on the set of Bond films before, unfortunately, with serious injuries. An aerial cameraman, Johnny Jordan, in YOLT lost a leg in a helicopter accident, Martin Grace was almost killed (and left paralysed for a while) filming the train sequence in Octopussy, and Italian stuntman Paolo Rigon was killed filming the bobsleigh sequence. All are very tragic, and you hope and pray that these guys who risk themselves for these amazing stunts are still standing in one piece at the end of it all. Yet that is the risks they take, and all of those scenes above stayed in the final films.

I sincerely hope the driver of this car makes a full and swift recovery, and he'll most likely be back in the driving seat in a few months time.

But talk of cutting the scene altogether is a little unprecedented.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    Ah yes, I knew about some of those other accidents. Rather, I meant including the actual footage in which the stuntman is seriously injured might be seen as quite dodgy, and they might be chary about reshooting it (who'd want to step up to that, do they have a spare stuntman?) But Loeffs says they did reshoot it so I guess that's okay.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited April 2008
    Yep, with you on that one! Was just knocking the earlier notion of dumping a whole scene for the reasoning that someone got injured.

I don't think there's anything against them using some of the footage prior to the accident, other than poor taste, but then I guess that maybe rests on whether the stuntman concerned makes a full recovery and gives his thumbs up to it? I dunno.

When you're dealing with guys who's sole livelihood is putting themselves in ridiculously dangerous situations, there's more than likely always one who'll step up to the bar for a reshoot! Given that the money was right, of course!

But as has been pointed out, there's other footage, I'm sure something will be cobbled together.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Any word on whether or not filming has started up again with this unit?
  • De BleuchampDe Bleuchamp Posts: 59MI6 Agent
    Allessandra thanks for the info on Italian Car plates. I looked at Wikipedia about them, and the latest change was from 1994. As you say, you can still have the regional letters on the right but it's not part of the registration.
    It says 95% of cars have this as it is popular.
    I see from the list of areas that Siena has SI.
    I wonder what the latest is?
    Here in Brstol, UK we have WM 08 ABC, where WM-WY is Bristol and 08 is March to September.
    In Sept. it becomes a 58 reg.
    Not that I'm a car spotter ! much.
    Ciao!
    De Bleuchamp fleeing in a red Maserati !
    Just for the avoidance of any doubt, the Aston is on Italian plates 72GH3LD. ;)
    unitedkingdom.png