NSNA theme song revealed

Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,280MI6 Agent
edited April 2008 in James Bond Music
The always reliable mi6.co.uk have uncovered an amazing tale about the original theme song for Never Say Never Again, vetoed by composer Michel Legrand, who had first dibs on the song (though did he actually write the tune? I can't recall).

It's another depressing anecdote about the troubled background of this awfully disappointing film, as anyone who's read The Battle for Bond will agree.

I've not listened to the song yet, I'm at work:

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=6157
"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Comments

• Dominic GreeneDominic Greene Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    IMO this theme is way better than the original theme, It sound's more like a 'proper' Bond song, Nice find :)
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008
    Another publicity stunt gathering enough steam. Great...
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,344Chief of Staff
    composer Michel Legrand, who had first dibs on the song (though did he actually write the tune? I can't recall).

Yup, he's the guilty man.
  • lotuslotus englandPosts: 292MI6 Agent
    The Cat wrote:
    well i think the song is crap
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,590Chief of Staff
    The always reliable mi6.co.uk have uncovered an amazing tale about the original theme song for Never Say Never Again,

Bland, bland, bland !!!
    YNWA 97
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
  • SeanConnery007SeanConnery007 The Bond Archive - London, EngPosts: 169MI6 Agent
    I think its a fantastic song - far classier, more Bondian and far more pleasing than Legrand's Lani Hall track. Another disappointing musical rejection in the Bond canon.
    Nobody Writes Threads Better.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,280MI6 Agent
    The Cat wrote:

Another cryptic comment from The Cat, suggesting he knows more than he's letting on... :D

The song's quite catchy; don't see how it can be a publicity stunt unless they communicated with the singer through ouiji board. Or was it a stunt at the time, like Pulp doing Tomorrow Never Dies and getting turned down?

However, as the opening of NSNA is a snoozer rather than the action packed joyous opening of the Moore films at the time, this song wouldn't have fitted it no well. (I suppose you could have it playing over the credits like the Lani Hall one, though that wouldn't sound too great.) When you had stunts opening the films like in the Moore era you had these lush, sleepy ballads whereas in the earlier years you had crash bang wallop songs like GF, TB, OHMSS, TMWTGG and even the titles song of FRWL, an exception being YOLT which does make the film very very soporific, a fault of its first half hour.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    However, as the opening of NSNA is a snoozer rather than the action packed joyous opening of the Moore films at the time

:p
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    The song's quite catchy; don't see how it can be a publicity stunt...

You don't have to use your fantasy if you read the original version of the article:

Phyllis sadly took her own life in the early nineties. The year before she died, she called me late one night and told me she felt that "Never Say Never Again" was "her best and favorite recording." I have just now made the song available on the Internet (itunes, amazon, emusic, rhapsody, etc.) on an album of some of my early songs.

Focus on the last sentence. This is about as much of a rejected song as Pulp, Alice Cooper or the rest of the wannabes. Which means it's not.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,280MI6 Agent
    Ah, okay that bit is a publicity stunt. Guess Mr Legrand isn't around to give his side of it. Fair enough.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Now why on Earth should he be knowing about this? ;)