New Mi6 Interiors

SeanConnery007SeanConnery007 The Bond Archive - London, EngPosts: 169MI6 Agent
Why have they decided to 're-vamp' the interiors of Mi6, with M's office looking rather bland, all chrome, very OTT "modern"?
Why have one style in CR then completely change for QoS?
In my opinion it looks awful, no building, secret agency or not, has interiors this oddly "modern" and "stylish", surely!?
Nobody Writes Threads Better.

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    I haven't seen the new interiors yet...but I'll always miss Bernard Lee's old office... :(
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Shatterhand67Shatterhand67 Safe HousePosts: 424MI6 Agent
    I haven't seen the new interiors yet...but I'll always miss Bernard Lee's old office... :(

I concur. Bernard Lee had the best office for M in series history. {[]
    "I musht be dreaming."
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,738MI6 Agent
    I don't mind any number of swish new updates, but I wish they'd kept just one thing: that padded door. Very memorable and very M.
    emtiem wrote:
    I don't mind any number of swish new updates, but I wish they'd kept just one thing: that padded door. Very memorable and very M.

You're right about that; something very cool about that door.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Always made me think of a padded/plush bomb shelter. {:)
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    I'm the only who wishes they'd bring back the coat rack, so when Bond walks in he can fling his hat perfectly onto it?
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    A cameo opportunity for Amy Winehouse to play the coat rack, if ever I heard!
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008
    Mr Martini wrote:
    I'm the only who wishes they'd bring back the coat rack, so when Bond walks in he can fling his hat perfectly onto it?
    No, you're not. {[] How I long for the days when Bond walks in, throws his hat perfectly onto the coatrack and flirts with Moneypenny who gets scolded by M for not concentrating on her work. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • ShrublandsShrublands Posts: 14MI6 Agent
    Why have they decided to 're-vamp' the interiors of Mi6, with M's office looking rather bland, all chrome, very OTT "modern"?
    Why have one style in CR then completely change for QoS?
    In my opinion it looks awful, no building, secret agency or not, has interiors this oddly "modern" and "stylish", surely!?

Heaven forbid we have anything modern or stylish in our Bond films.
    emtiem wrote:

Perhaps they could have an embalmed Lois Maxwell gathering dust in the corner too.
    Dan Same wrote:
    Mr Martini wrote:
    No, you're not. {[] How I long for the days when Bond walks in, throws his hat perfectly onto the coatrack and flirts with Moneypenny who gets scolded by M for not concentrating on her work. :D

The old style office scenes hadn’t been relevant since the 60s. They were embarrassingly dated in the 80s - imagine how hysterically old-fashioned such nonsense would look today.
    Maybe they could have the old office renovated as a chilled lounge club or something in Shoreditch.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • DanishdudeDanishdude Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    Is it possible for someone to put a link to the enterior pics from QOS cus i can't find them anywhere :s
    Shrublands wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

Perhaps they could have an embalmed Lois Maxwell gathering dust in the corner too.

If you like. Personally I think M should be dressed in nothing but a strip of tinfoil and sitting on a stainless steel spike; now there's progress.

Or are you one of those old fuddy duddies who insists on M having such passé 20th century accoutriments as 'a desk' and 'a chair'? Get with it, daddio.
    Personally, I've no problem with the occasional anachronism or incongruity, such as the padded door would certainly be today. Of course, Universal Export isn't in Regent's Park anymore, so I can understand why MI6 didn't bring the old door with them... ;)

I don't think anyone here (specifically emtiem or myself) was demanding they keep the padded door; it was more of a wistful nod to an era now past. A more modern new office---in the same room, with the old door in flagrant juxtaposition---is, to me, an intriguing paradox. Such things are not unheard of in government offices.

But what do I know? I get slapped around for wanting Bond, in the 21st century, to have his Scottish treasure, May, preparing breakfast for him B-)
    Personally, I've no problem with the occasional anachronism or incongruity, such as the padded door would certainly be today. Of course, Universal Export isn't in Regent's Park anymore, so I can understand why MI6 didn't bring the old door with them... ;)

No more difficult to explain than why M seemed to get a new one between each film! I'd like to see him try and explain Government funds being frittered away on his leather door fetish...
    edited May 2008
    Shrublands wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    Mr Martini wrote:
    The old style office scenes hadn’t been relevant since the 60s. They were embarrassingly dated in the 80s - imagine how hysterically old-fashioned such nonsense would look today.
    I don't know. I remember watching the 60's Bond films in the 90's and the 2000's and thinking how cool the office scenes are. So, I would certainly not describe it as nonsense or 'hysterically old-fashioned.'

I'm not suggesting that we bring back the exact same office surrounding from the 60's, but what on earth is wrong with bringing back with a coat rack and Bond's interaction with Moneypenny? ?:)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Well I'd agree that the Moneypenny banter isn't really something I'm desperate to see again. We've been there and done that, many many times.
    emtiem wrote:
    Well I'd agree that the Moneypenny banter isn't really something I'm desperate to see again. We've been there and done that, many many times.
    I would love to have it back, however this has been discussed previously on numerous occasions. ;)
    Dan Same wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    I would love to have it back, however this has been discussed previously on numerous occasions. ;)

Not unlike said Moneypenny banter in fact :p :D

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited May 2008
    Not unlike said Moneypenny banter in fact :p :D
    :v Be very careful, or you might receive a visit from Oddjob. ;)
    emtiem wrote:
    Shrublands wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

If you like. Personally I think M should be dressed in nothing but a strip of tinfoil and sitting on a stainless steel spike; now there's progress.

Or are you one of those old fuddy duddies who insists on M having such passé 20th century accoutriments as 'a desk' and 'a chair'? Get with it, daddio.

No Moneypenny should sit on the spike, M should sit on her lap.
    edited May 2008
    Dan Same wrote:
    I don't know. I remember watching the 60's Bond films in the 90's and the 2000's and thinking how cool the office scenes are. So, I would certainly not describe it as nonsense or 'hysterically old-fashioned.'

That’s because you were watching the 60s Bond films in the 90s (which are cool when ever they are viewed), had you had been looking at the 80s Bond films you might have been laughing in a derisory way along with everyone else.

Edit:
    My original post used the word "s******ing" instead of “laughing in a derisory way” which roughly means the same thing; however, the auto-censor removed it, how bizarre is that?
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,885Chief of Staff
    Shrublands wrote:
    My original post used the word "s******ing" instead of “laughing in a derisory way” which roughly means the same thing; however, the auto-censor removed it, how bizarre is that?

It's actually not as bizarre as it used to be. When I first joined AJB--nearly six years ago--I mentioned Alfred Hitchcock and his name came out "Hitch****!" SiCo in his wisdom realized that **** isn't always a dirty word and it's pretty common, so it was dropped from the banned list. Your Britishism, I think, is about the only clean word I know of that has the N-word in it, so maybe you should take the American alternative: "snickering?"
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited May 2008
    Shrublands wrote:
    That’s because you were watching the 60s Bond films in the 90s (which are cool when ever they are viewed), had you had been looking at the 80s Bond films you might have been laughing in a derisory way along with everyone else.
    Well, I wouldn't have. Although the last three 80's films are among my least favourite Bond films, it has nothing to do with their office scenes.

Shrublands, this may shock you, but there are people (such as myself) who actualy enjoy some of the traditional Bondian elements, irrespective of whether other people treat them with derision.
    Shrublands wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    Shrublands wrote:

No Moneypenny should sit on the spike, M should sit on her lap.

Aha! Want Moneypenny back, do you? So you are living in the last century and I claim my five pounds! Tsk.
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Your Britishism, I think, is about the only clean word I know of that has the N-word in it, so maybe you should take the American alternative: "snickering?"

How dare you, sah! We shall never give in to Americanisms, nevah!!!
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,885Chief of Staff
    "Sah?" "Nevah?" What movies have you been watching? ?:)
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Anything featuring Windsor Davies.