Which Was The Best Indiana Jones Film?

2»

Comments

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    I'm a bit puzzled by that; I think it's one of the best action sequences ever. How is it confusing to you?
    The location of all the different characters (in their respective vehicles) confused me. It was often hard to determine where they were in relation to each other (i.e. Indy in relation to the car containing the main villains.)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,750MI6 Agent
    Oh right- the truck chase, yeah? I've never heard anyone saying that before.
    emtiem wrote:
    Exactly. The fact that IMO it wasn't that great probably doesn't help matters. For some reason, IMO the Indiana Jones films have never handled chase scenes all that well.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    Exactly. The fact that IMO it wasn't that great probably doesn't help matters. For some reason, IMO the Indiana Jones films have never handled chase scenes all that well.
    With all due respect Dan Same, no offense but, the truck chase, er, "not great!?"

WHATEVER!!! 8-)
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    BEST. CHASE. EVER.
    ABSO FRICKIN LUTELY.
    Anyone heard the Crystal Skull soundtrack? The new counter melody on the Raiders March in the end credits is genius! Makes it hard to listen to the old version without humming it! :D
    edited May 2008
    Alex wrote:
    With all due respect Dan Same, no offense but, the truck chase, er, "not great!?"

WHATEVER!!! 8-)
    Yes, I think it's very overrated. I think that the action scenes are terrific, but the chase scene just doesn't do it for me. I do appreciate the fighting in the car though, however I wish that it was seperate from the chase. It's like Last Crusade; as far as I'm concerned, Spielberg sucks at chases. :p (In fact, I will go so far as to say that the chase scene in Last Crusade is one of the worst I've seen. :s)

Oh, and Darenhat, how can you say it was the best chase ever? :o Have you not seen The French Connection or Ronin?
    Dan Same wrote:
    Oh, and Darenhat, how can you say it was the best chase ever? :o Have you not seen The French Connection or Ronin?

Well, you have got tastes which differ from the mainstream, to put it mildly, Dan! :) The truck chase is a fantastic action scene (it's not a car chase, featuring as it does only one car which neither chases not is chased! :) I'd call it more of a moving fight scene than anything) which is full of tension, laughs, great music, incredible stunts and clever writing. I'm a bit surprised to see someone say that it's bad, but if anyone was going to say it... ;)
    I really can't think where you're getting confused, either- the car stays in front on the truck, Indy gets on the truck from a horse, gets in the cab, is shoved through the window and climbs back in the cab from the back. There are some occasional motorbikes and an armoured car behind, but they get dealt with as soon as we see them pretty much. I can just about see why people may call the Bourne action scenes confusing (although I don't agree- I think you're given just enough), but I am utterly baffled as to how this sequence could be confusing.
  • Krassno GranitskiKrassno Granitski USAPosts: 896MI6 Agent
    1. Raiders of the lost ark
    2. Last crusade

3. Temple of doom

For those interested, the new Indiana Jones LEGO game demo has been released, the intro alone is worth the download.
    LEGO Indiana Jones Demo B-)
    [quote=Dan Same
    Yes, I think it's very overrated. I think that the action scenes are terrific, but the chase scene just doesn't do it for me.
    We'll have to seriously disagree on this one. I mean, seriously seriously disagree on this one.

Seriously
    Oh, and Darenhat, how can you say it was the best chase ever? :o
    Why the amazement? It's a very realistic and painstaking scene.
    edited May 2008
    Alex wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    Yes, I think it's very overrated. I think that the action scenes are terrific, but the chase scene just doesn't do it for me.
    We'll have to seriously disagree on this one. I mean, seriously seriously disagree on this one.

Seriously
    Alex, I get the picture. :)) You thought it was a fantastic scene; you don't need to make it any more clear. :v However, if you insist, what do you think of the chase scene? :p :))
    Alex wrote:
    Oh, and Darenhat, how can you say it was the best chase ever? :o
    Why the amazement? It's a very realistic and painstaking scene.
    Well, I'm amazed because I honestly can't see how someone could describe it as the best chase ever. I accept that many people love it, but the best chase ever? That strikes me as quite over the top and so as a consequence leaves me amazed.
    edited May 2008
    emtiem wrote:
    Well, you have got tastes which differ from the mainstream, to put it mildly, Dan! :)
    Perhaps. Although the fact that I love the film in general wouldn't put me too much out of the mainstream. :))
    emtiem wrote:
    The truck chase is a fantastic action scene (it's not a car chase, featuring as it does only one car which neither chases not is chased! :)
    Well, I never actualy referred to it as a car chase. I brought up Ronin and The French Connection as Darenhat referred to it as the best chase ever, and I think that both of those films have chases which are vastly superior. However, if one were to exclude car chases, I think that another chase which was alot better were either of the skiing chases in OHMSS.
    emtiem wrote:
    I'd call it more of a moving fight scene than anything) which is full of tension, laughs, great music, incredible stunts and clever writing.
    I don't know if I would go that far. Yes, I really enjoyed the action within the cabin, but I didn't love the actual chase.
    emtiem wrote:
    I'm a bit surprised to see someone say that it's bad, but if anyone was going to say it... ;)
    I don't think it's bad. Nothing in Raiders is bad. I think the boat chase in Last Crusade is bad, but not the one in Raiders.

The truth is, I'm not a big fan of chase scenes anyway. However, I do enjoy great chases and IMO Spielberg isn't wonderful when it comes to chases.
    emtiem wrote:
    I really can't think where you're getting confused, either- the car stays in front on the truck, Indy gets on the truck from a horse, gets in the cab, is shoved through the window and climbs back in the cab from the back. There are some occasional motorbikes and an armoured car behind, but they get dealt with as soon as we see them pretty much. I can just about see why people may call the Bourne action scenes confusing (although I don't agree- I think you're given just enough), but I am utterly baffled as to how this sequence could be confusing.
    I don't know, it seemed quite confusing to me the last time I watched the film. Perhaps you're right in that it isn't all that confusing. My judgement may simply be clouded by my view of the overall quality of the chase. ;)
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    The difference between the Raiders chase scene and the ones you mentioned in the French Connection and Ronin (I'm not going to argue over the semantics as to what a 'chase' should be defined as) is that IMO the Raiders scene is simply not an 'action' sequence...it is a visual and kinetic element that synchs with the attitude of the main character. This isn't just a good guy chasing after a bad guy, or bad guys trying to escape. These are two factions locked in a struggle for a neutral item (the ark which is intermittently cut to throughout the scene). The difference is that the chase is elevated to a virtual symbolic status as one man's passion overrides the mere obedience of an entire military unit. Essentially, the scene fuels, and is fueled by, the underlying motivations of the character. It's not simply cars going fast in order to thrill tha audience, which is how I describe the scenes in French Connection, Ronin, Bullit, etc.
    darenhat wrote:
    The difference between the Raiders chase scene and the ones you mentioned in the French Connection and Ronin (I'm not going to argue over the semantics as to what a 'chase' should be defined as) is that IMO the Raiders scene is simply not an 'action' sequence...it is a visual and kinetic element that synchs with the attitude of the main character. This isn't just a good guy chasing after a bad guy, or bad guys trying to escape. These are two factions locked in a struggle for a neutral item (the ark which is intermittently cut to throughout the scene). The difference is that the chase is elevated to a virtual symbolic status as one man's passion overrides the mere obedience of an entire military unit. Essentially, the scene fuels, and is fueled by, the underlying motivations of the character. It's not simply cars going fast in order to thrill tha audience, which is how I describe the scenes in French Connection, Ronin, Bullit, etc.
    A great point. {[] I don't agree with you about the quality of the scene, but that is a terrific insight nonetheless. :D
    Speaking of this chase, there's a great ad for the lottery I've just seen (and their Indy scratchcards) which spoofs the truck chase: Indy is being pulled behind the truck and the German driving smiles to himself as he spots a cattle grid ahead... :)