Devil May care Waterstones (slightly less expensive) special edition

Steve Rush DI5 AgentSteve Rush DI5 Agent Oxfordshire, Great BritainPosts: 59MI6 Agent
I have just been to Waterstones in Oxford to pick up my copy of DMC - which came with a free pack of postcards. While I was there I had the unexpected bonus of also being able to buy their last copy (they only had three apparently) of this:

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=6226&catid=105

Mine is number 486.

Rather more than I had expected to pay today for the new James Bond novel, but it was hopefully a good investment as well as a pleasant surprise - and considerably less than the Bentley edition.

The man in the shop said that two men had driven down to Oxford from Birmingham especially to get copies of this (they bought numbers 487 and 488) and that they were there - one at each door - from 7.00 am until the store opened. That's dedication for you!

Steve

Comments

• scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    Went to my local Waterstones and they didn't have any postcards left -I was gutted! Still got the book though and worth half price. ;)
  • authorwritingauthorwriting Posts: 12MI6 Agent
    I've got great hopes for this book - I was delighted with the extracts in the Times which seemed very Fleming. I was outside my book shop when it opened this morning only to be told they couldn't sell the book till 12pm. Anyone know why this is? Anyway I've got one now and am going to sink into it.
  • authorwritingauthorwriting Posts: 12MI6 Agent
    I've got great hopes for this book - I was delighted with the extracts in the Times which seemed very Fleming. I was outside my book shop when it opened this morning only to be told they couldn't sell the book till 12pm. Anyone know why this is? Anyway I've got one now and am going to sink into it.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    I'm halfway through and enjoying it. It's certainly not Flemings Bond, but falls somewhere between Fleming and the good Gardner books. Bond as a character is likeable, rather too much. I can personally relate to this Bond better than I could Flemings, which is not right, Bond is not like me in any way. Except for the killer good looks and women that is :007)
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • mpoplawskimpoplawski New Jersey, USAPosts: 128MI6 Agent
    Just received my copy today. Thumbed through it quickly and caught some "Flemingesque" comments. I am looking forward to reading it this weekend.
    Bond: "But who would want to kill me, sir?"
    M: "Jealous husbands, outraged chefs, humiliated tailors . . . the list is endless."
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    Just picked up my copy today at Whitcoull's. Rather dear I would have to say! :# No extra perks either, just the book. :( Anyways, I am sure I will enjoy it. Always enjoyed the Fleming books and Gardner was a good read. I was planning on reading the book on my way to Singapore, but it looks like I will probably be reading it beforehand. :D
    "We have all the time in the world..."
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    Hoping to pick up a copy this weekend - however, if judging from the prices on websites it is ridiculously expensive here in SA. I might try and get it from UK (would be cheaper, but I'll have to wait longer. . . :# ). However I'll still have a look this weekend, who knows!
  • bondaholic007bondaholic007 LondonPosts: 878MI6 Agent
    I got it today £9.49 from waterstones, I will post a review in a few days after I have read it all.

The first chapter is about Rene Mathis ?
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Has anyone read their copy yet? Thoughts?
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    edited May 2008
    Yes, finished it today. Here's my short review with NO SPOILERS:

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/index.php?topic=30771
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • SolarisSolaris Blackpool, UKPosts: 308MI6 Agent
    from what I have read so far, I'm up to about chapter 10 it has been more intriguing than some of Fleming's novels, (DAF & TMWTGG in paticular), not that it is any better but in the way that I am reading it faster and are more interesting in how it ends than I was with either DAF or TMWTGG.I'm finding it an enjoyable read if you can get past the refrences to things gone by, either directly or by having some of the characters in the same ilk of ones that Bond has met previously. Darius Alizadeh is an iranian Kerim Bay. but I agree with ASP's statement when he says Bond is far too likable in this book.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    I bought a copy yesterday - the only bookshop I could find it in only had it in paperback, and they are notorious for overpricing books. Still, I was glad to get my hands on a copy, and I had a gift voucher so the high price wasn't quite so painful!

I have torn through it and am now at Chapter 18. I have enjoyed it so far, although it is a bit pastichey. Loads of references to Fleming books, plus a full stock of Fleming's supporting cast as well as an ally very similar to Darko Kerim. Still, from what I've read so far it ranks with the very best of the continuation novels. When I've finished it (which should be very soon!) I'll post a review. ;)