View of Shutle Lauch from my house

PaperbillPaperbill FloridaPosts: 810MI6 Agent
Taken today

IMG_0108.jpg

Comments

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,700MI6 Agent
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing. I didn't even know there was a launch today. Which shuttle launced?
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Herr MichaelHerr Michael Posts: 360MI6 Agent
    Cool.

The last NASA launch I watched in person was Apollo-Soyuz.

Before that it was one of our very own Minuteman II's from Whiteman AFB launched from Vandyland in '83.
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    One of my life's ambitions is to watch a Shuttle launch, but unfortunately I've never been in Florida at the right time.
  • asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    Sorry if I sounds like a schoolkid, but that is so cool, Paperbill!
    Ever since I was a wee one I have been interested in outer space. However, instead of becoming an astronaut, I now work in superannuation & insurance.
    Anyway, I'm quite jealous that you get to see shuttle launches from your house. All I get to see are the blinking lights of aeroplanes from 35,000 metres above. Oh and last week I saw a Police helicopter flying past.
    Yeah I know, they don't compare...
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,750MI6 Agent
    Wow; that's brilliant- I'd love to see that. Was it pretty loud still from where you were?

The only odd thing I've seen recently in the skies above me were a couple of low-flying Apache attack helicopters- which was pretty unexpected in suburban Surrey!
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,288MI6 Agent
    edited June 2008
    Great pic Paperbill. As a longtime astronomy/NASA enthusiast I'd also love to be able to see a launch in person. Maybe someday.

BTW, there's a great new miniseries on Discovery Channel called When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions. It's a documentary on the history of the US space program and features lots of interviews with surviving NASA astronauts from the early days of the program (even Neil Armstrong participates in this one) and never before seen footage direct from NASA. The program is also available in HD and some of the imagery from the first episode - notably Ed White's and Buzz Aldrin's spacewalks during the Gemini missions - is absolutely breathtaking. Highly recommended if you're into NASA and space exploration.