Lucky Find

Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
Having recently been complaining about the difficulty of obtaining Bond books in South Africa, I was amazed and overjoyed to step into a very ordinary looking charity shop in Cape Town today and discover a large number Bond items. There were quite a few interesting editions of Fleming and also some Gardners as well - about twenty books in all. I happily relieved them of some of these:

- Octopussy and The Living Daylights - Cape 1st Edition (sadly missing jacket)

- Moonraker - Pan 5th paperback edition

- The Diamond Smugglers - Pan paperback edition

Also some Gardners:

- Licence Renewed - Cape 1st edition

- Nobody Lives Forever - Charter Paperback edition

- Never Send Flowers - Coronet Paperback

Well it seems that occasionally Bond books can be found down here! And all that came in at a mere R90 - less than half the cost of my paperback copy of Devil May Care! As a skint student such bargains are always welcome. Long live charity shops! (I'll be paying them another visit soon - might get lucky again. . .)

Comments

• scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    Golrush007 wrote:
    Having recently been complaining about the difficulty of obtaining Bond books in South Africa, I was amazed and overjoyed to step into a very ordinary looking charity shop in Cape Town today and discover a large number Bond items. There were quite a few interesting editions of Fleming and also some Gardners as well - about twenty books in all. I happily relieved them of some of these:

- Octopussy and The Living Daylights - Cape 1st Edition (sadly missing jacket)

- Moonraker - Pan 5th paperback edition

- The Diamond Smugglers - Pan paperback edition

Also some Gardners:

- Licence Renewed - Cape 1st edition

- Nobody Lives Forever - Charter Paperback edition

- Never Send Flowers - Coronet Paperback

Well it seems that occasionally Bond books can be found down here! And all that came in at a mere R90 - less than half the cost of my paperback copy of Devil May Care! As a skint student such bargains are always welcome. Long live charity shops! (I'll be paying them another visit soon - might get lucky again. . .)

Well done! I managed to collect many a Bond book from charity shops over the years. My most recent however is a book called The films of Sean Connery written by Lee Pfeiffer and Philip Lisa - copyright 2001 original price of $21.95 -I got it for £3.00! its a large-ish coffee table book -so you can imagine how pleased I was with it. :)
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    I'm still looking for a hardback version of 'Never Send Flowers' (I'm trying to replace all of my paperbacks, since they don't fare too well in this desert heat). NSF is the last Gardner book I need.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    darenhat wrote:
    I'm still looking for a hardback version of 'Never Send Flowers' (I'm trying to replace all of my paperbacks, since they don't fare too well in this desert heat). NSF is the last Gardner book I need.

Good luck finding the last one Daren. As for me - I'd be happy just to have each Gardner novel in any form. So far I have 9, 6 in paperback and 3 in hardback. Getting there slowly! ;)
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    I returned today to the charity shop that I mentioned earlier, to see if they had any interesting non-Bond stuff, and I made another interesting find: A 1965 novel called 'The Fly' written by Bond cover artist Richard Chopping. This book also features another of Chopping's distinctive paintings on the jacket. Has anybody here read it?
  • hacketthackett Odds change the numbers remainPosts: 197MI6 Agent
    Never Send Flowers by John Gardener. There are two copies on E Bay
    One goes Sunday 08/06/08

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/never-send-flowers-john-gardner-JAMES-BOND-1ST-EX-LIB_W0QQitemZ360056816967QQihZ023QQcategoryZ270QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You may have to bump up the postage, but if the desire is there??

Good luck
  • Cynjin SmythCynjin Smyth Rocky MountiansPosts: 98MI6 Agent
    Some of you know that I am a Cop. I found what I think is a second edition Signet Mysteries by Ian Fleming. FYEO and five other Bond Thrillers.
    I was helping unload donated books for the jail inmates when I found it. Still in good condition.
    Bond: You don't think I enjoyed what we did this evening, do you? What I did tonight was for King and country! You don't think it gave me any pleasure, do you?
    Fiona: But of course, I forgot your ego, Mr. Bond. James Bond, who only has to make love to a woman and she starts to hear heavenly choirs singing.
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    Golrush007 wrote:
    I returned today to the charity shop that I mentioned earlier, to see if they had any interesting non-Bond stuff, and I made another interesting find: A 1965 novel called 'The Fly' written by Bond cover artist Richard Chopping. This book also features another of Chopping's distinctive paintings on the jacket. Has anybody here read it?

Many years ago, too long ago to remember anything about it, other than knowing that I enjoyed it. My copy is a (1966) 1st Signet paperback.