Devil May Care - to those who bought it

TOOTSTOOTS Posts: 114MI6 Agent
I'm curious to hear from people about their experience with James Bond continuation novels*

1) Is this the first original James Bond novel you have bought?
2) Is this the first original James Bond continuation novel you have bought?
3) Is this the only continuation Bond novel you have read?
4) Is DMC better than the Benson books?
5) Is DMC better than the Gardner books?
6) Is DMC better than Colonel Sun?
7) Is DMC better than James Bond: The Authorised Biography?

*including Young Bond, Moneypenny Diaries, Benson, Gardner, Pearson, Amis etc but excluding novelizations

Comments

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    No. I have got multiple copies of all of the Fleming books, as well as about 10 continuation novels plus novelisations.
    No - see above
    No - I have also read about six Gardners and one Benson, as well as most of the novelisations.
    Better than the one I read (zero minus ten)
    It ranks with the better Gardner novels such as Licence Renewed, No Deals Mr Bond, Scorpius etc.
    Unfortunately I haven't read Colonel Sun
    Haven't read this either.

Overall, my experience with DMC was a good read, entertaining and reasonably close to Fleming's style although not as good Fleming himself. I don't really think that DMC quite lived up to the hype, or Faulks' reputation as a novelist. However, a worthy addition to the Bond series and well worth a read. ;)
  • maddyhindmaddyhind UKPosts: 106MI6 Agent
    i have all the fleming books and all the continuation novels.
    its vastly superior to benson
    its equal to gardner at his best and superior to much of his bond output
    bizarrely i never even considered comparisons with colonel sun the novel it most resembles.its about equal.i enjoy both very much but both are perhaps slightly too political.
    its equal/slightly better than the authorised bio
    it reminds me slightly of the will self spoof
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,630Chief of Staff
    TOOTS wrote:
    I'm curious to hear from people about their experience with James Bond continuation novels

No. I have them all.
    No. I have them all.
    No. I 've read them all.
    Yes. I think DoubleShot is Benson's best but DMC is better.
    Better than most but on a par with Gardner's best, Faulks' writing (in DMC) reminds me of Gardner's in his better Bond novels.
    No.
    I think it's better but they are too different to really compare, IMO.

I still think that Christopher Wood comes nearest to Fleming in tone.
    YNWA 97
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    1)Is this the first original James Bond novel you have bought?

No-I own and have read all of the 007 novels and all of the novelizations.The first continuation James Bond novel I ever read was Kingsley Amis's Colonel Sun.Amis's absolutely eerie recreation of Ian Fleming's singular style and distinctive "voice" set the bar exceedingly high for all of the continuation writers who followed him.Of the other 007 continuation novelists--including Sebastian Faulks--I think only Christopher Wood really matches Amis in successfully emulating Fleming's unique style and narrative qualities.Faulks doesn't even come close.

2)Is this the first original James Bond continuation novel you have bought?

No-please see my answer to question one.

3)Is this the only continuation Bond novel you have read?

No,as noted earlier,I've read them all-- along with most of the Higson Young Bonds, and the first volume of The Moneypenny Diaries.

4)Is DMC better than the Benson books?

No,it's not so much "better" as it is different.

In fairness to Raymond Benson,at the time he was writing 007's adventures,he was in the uncomfortable position of trying to come up with books that would appeal to both the fans of the (then-current) Pierce Brosnan movies AND the fans of Ian Fleming's novels-and they're not always the same audience.Frankly, I was impressed with Benson's stories overall-especially his efforts to link his books with those of Ian Fleming by making occasional(and generally subtle) references to some of 007's past adventures;even sometimes including a few of Fleming's more notable supporting characters,like Felix Leiter,Rene Mathis and Marc-Ange Draco in his stories.

By contrast,Sebastian Faulks was not working under the same kinds of restrictions placed on Benson--in fact,he had much greater freedom in telling his 007 story than any other continuation author has ever been given.Unfortunately, Faulks clearly disapproves of his subject matter and is neither as interested in, or as well-versed in Fleming's writings as Benson was,and this attitude severely damages Devil May Care.

Even with a casual glance it's all too evident that Faulks's book is little more than a pallid rewrite of Moonraker--but minus any of the style or skill of Fleming or Gardner or Amis or Wood or Higson.

5)Is DMC better than the Gardner books?

Hmmm...it's marginally better than COLD((Cold Fall in the USA),but that's not saying very much since Devil May Care lacks originality and is further handicapped by Faulks's awkward attempt at emulating Fleming's writing style.But in Gardner's defense,it's also important to remember that--as was the case with Raymond Benson--he had to contend with editors who knew little to nothing about Ian Fleming's writings, but who placed incredible restrictions on his stories.These even extended to the book's contents and titles.

Personally,I think-on balance-that John Gardner was an excellent writer, but he was really at his best with his Boysie Oakes "Liquidator" novels(which won him his position as a 007 author) than with most of his official James Bond stories.Gardner was never as enthusiastic about writing 007 as Amis or Christopher Wood or Raymond Benson were.

6)Is DMC better than Colonel Sun?

In a word,no.Faulks seems content to merely hack out his 007 novel.Devil May Care is all surface and little else--quite unlike Amis's Colonel Sun which actually offers readers an additional insight into 007 and his world, while also remaining true to Ian Fleming's vision.As an author,Amis comes much closer to evoking Ian Fleming's distinctive style and spirit than Faulks,who doesn't have comparable skill as a writer of thrillers--regardless of the critical praise he's received for his own very different types of novels.

In Devil May Care Sebastian Faulks seems largely disinterested in what he's doing-the book is just an amateurish rewrite of Moonraker.By contrast,in Colonel Sun,Kingsley Amis successfully creates a James Bond adventure that is very much in the Ian Fleming tradition--producing a book of considerably greater importance than Faulks's lesser attempt.

7)Is DMC better than James Bond:The Authorized Biography?

Not really,because these books are nothing alike.John Pearson's novel is entirely different than Faulks's book.As the title suggests,Pearson's conceit is that he's telling the "real" James Bond's life story as related to him by the former 007(even offering a few detailed glimpses of what really happened long before their mutual friend Ian Fleming used this information as the basis for a series of outlandish,lurid and best-selling "novels").

By contrast,Faulks attempts to create a 007 novel that will hopefully evoke the style and content of the Ian Fleming novels of the late 1960s.And sometimes it works...but only in a few places.

Overall,Devil May Care is a failure at every level.
  • sharpshootersharpshooter Posts: 164MI6 Agent
    No to the first four questions. I'll say DMC is better than Gardner's efforts, not at all close to CS and I've yet to read Pearson's Authorised Biography.
  • D_SomersetD_Somerset The Direct Orient-ExpressPosts: 20MI6 Agent
    1) No, I have all of the original American Edition Penguin Paperbacks.
    2) No, I've got all of the John Gardners and about half of the Bensons, including "Blast From The Past" and "Live At Five"
    3) No.
    Generally speaking, yes.
    Yes
    No
    Too different to call.

In other words, I agree with most of the previous posters, except in one respect- CHRISTOPHER WOOD? The guy wrote novelizations- not novels. I don't know, maybe I need to re-read his TSWLM and MR writing, it's been a long time...-{
  • TOOTSTOOTS Posts: 114MI6 Agent
    edited June 2008
    Interesting, keep 'em coming.
  • Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    No I have all the original books and read them often
    Yes unless you count the young bond books
    Yes
    4),5),6),7) Cant say as I have'nt read any of these
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
  • 00-Agent00-Agent CaliforniaPosts: 453MI6 Agent
    No. I have all the Fleming Novels.
    No. I have all but two of the continuation novels but need to get my hands on the film novelizations.
    No. I have read CS, LR, and DMC. I am about a half way through FSS. I was planning on reading all the novels in order but could not wait to read DMC.
    I have not read Benson's novels yet.
    I would say that LR and DMC are equal, but DMC is better than FSS so far. I have only read about half of FSS.
    Yes, I think DMC is better than CS. I was not too impressed with CS. I thought LR was better than CS. I am not sure why everyone thinks CS is such a great book. I think it was ok. I may have to re-read CS. It seems everyone loves that book. I am not sure what is going on with this book. I think either my expectations for CS were to high because I had heard such good things about it and I was therefore disappointed or everyone who reviews it has not read the novel recently and have just forgotten their experience reading CS and let their favorable view of the author color their view of the novel. It is probably the latter.;)
    I have not read The Authorized biography yet.
    "A blunt instrument wielded by a Government department. Hard, ruthless, sardonic, fatalistic. He likes gambling, golf, fast motor cars. All his movements are relaxed and economical". Ian Fleming
  • Shatterhand67Shatterhand67 Safe HousePosts: 424MI6 Agent
    I am surprised at the Benson feedback. I actually liked the Benson books quite a bit and I was somewhat disappointed in Devil May Care. DMC for me was like watching an Elvis impersonator that just isn't getting it done. I thought it was OK but it didn't really grip me.

I have to admit that I have never read Gardner but would like to at some point in time as most here seem to think he was the best since Fleming.
    "I musht be dreaming."
  • Scribe74Scribe74 San FranciscoPosts: 149MI6 Agent
    edited July 2008

No. I have all the Fleming novels in several formats (including five Jonathan Cape UK 1st editions), along with Colonel Sun and the Gardner books.

No. As stated, I have Colonel Sun and the Gardner books.

No.

Yes . . . I tried reading a few of Benson's books but found them to be quite horrible. I refer to Benson's tenure as the "reign of terror."

I enjoyed Gardner's early Bond books, though they grew increasingly campy with each successive volume. I'd say DMC is better than quite a few.

No.

Haven't read it.
  • sohel1sohel1 Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    verall, my experience with DMC was a good read, entertaining and reasonably close to Fleming's style although not as good Fleming himself. I don't really think that DMC quite lived up to the hype, or Faulks' reputation as a novelist. However, a worthy addition to the Bond series and well worth a read
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent

No, I read all of Fleming's novels when I was a teenager. I had the entire set. I can't remember what edition it was, but all the novels were colour-coded, so for instance FRWL was red, OHMSS light blue, TSWLM was orange. The only two I still have are OHMSS and TSWLM. TSWLM probably just shades it as my favourite Fleming novel.

No, I read the Gardner novels at around the same time, and thought they were okay at best. I recently bought Colonel Sun and was impressed with Amis's writing.

No, see above.

I've never read Benson I'm afraid.

Yes, but it's still not very good.

No, not even close. Amis gets far closer to Fleming's writing style than Faulks does and provides more insight. DMC was just odd. And the writing was functional at best. Maybe Faulks should have written it in his own style instead of trying to ape Fleming. It simply doesn't work.

Never read that either I'm afraid.
  • leongpcleongpc Posts: 38MI6 Agent
    No. Grew up with Bond back in the sixties and am still laying my hands on whatever bond novel, mag etc etc that comes out.
    No. Same as answer above.
    No.
    Am halfway through DMC but thinks it's better than the later Benson Bond books. Benson's first few Bond books were quite ok.
    Yes. I find Gardner's books more like a novelised movie book.
    No. Colonel Sun is great. Kingsley Amis should have been asked to write a few more. What a waste.
    No. The Authorised Bio is fun reading. John Pearson did a good job on this one. He should be another writer whom they should have asked to write a few more Bond novels.
    I would like to add I find Samantha Weinberg's Moneypenny diaries very good and refreshing. they're better than the Gardner books.